New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
I finished watching Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs. Cody Rhodes & Hangman Page at Sakura Genesis. What a set of moves by Page when he flip-kicked Omega and proceeded to moonsault Ibushi all in one sequence. I didn't really pay much attention to Hangman Page but he showed me he could hang with the upper echelon of wrestlers in this match. I was pissed off at the finish, though, as Cody sneaked up from behind an unsuspecting Ibushi, grabbed a handful of tights to score the win. I know it's all a work but I was yelling at the TV when the Bullet Club had their hands raised!

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I finished watching Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi vs. Cody Rhodes & Hangman Page at Sakura Genesis. What a set of moves by Page when he flip-kicked Omega and proceeded to moonsault Ibushi all in one sequence. I didn't really pay much attention to Hangman Page but he showed me he could hang with the upper echelon of wrestlers in this match. I was pissed off at the finish, though, as Cody sneaked up from behind an unsuspecting Ibushi, grabbed a handful of tights to score the win. I know it's all a work but I was yelling at the TV when the Bullet Club had their hands raised!
Yeah, I am not a huge Adam Page fan, but he did impress me in that match. Also, don't worry man I yelled at my tv as well because I wanted The Golden Lovers to win.

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
I know this is old news but I watched the Honor Rising show. The tag team match pitting The Golden Lovers against Cody & Marty Scurll was good action but it felt like the participants were trying too hard to do showboating moves. Cody tried a cross body-block over-the-top rope and he hit his right knee onto the ring apron. Another noticeable botch was Kota Ibushi and Kenny Omega having a miscommunication over who should be where when they were doing their cross-slash move as Cody and Marty were waiting on them for several seconds outside the ring. Maybe because it was a show co-promoted with Ring of Honor that these participants were trying too hard to impress the audience.

Last edited:
Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I know this is old news but I watched the Honor Rising show. The tag team match pitting The Golden Lovers against Cody & Marty Scurll was good action but it felt like the participants were trying too hard to do impressive showboating moves to impress the crowd. Cody tried a cross body-block over-the-top rope and he hit his right knee onto the ring apron. Another noticeable botch was Kota Ibushi and Kenny Omega having a miscommunication over who should be where when they were doing their cross-slash move as Cody and Marty were waiting on them for several seconds outside the ring. Maybe because it was a show co-promoted with Ring of Honor that these participants were trying too hard to impress the audience.
Nah, I got that feeling as well, and honestly I think they were just trying to show everyone what they can do and they tried to bring their A game and then some, you know, but it ended up creating somewhat of a mess.

Geese

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Wrestler
Y8A7yx1
Favorite Sports Team
sacramentokings
Favorite Sports Team
Rx1XOnt
I watched Power Struggle 2017. The main event was Kenny Omega defending his US Championship belt against Beretta. Beretta showed some athleticism and ring smarts when he did that sweeping German suplex. Beretta has a high tolerance of pain, especially when Omega did that Bison stomp on him right through the table outside the ring. Since that match, Beretta hasn't been on TV much. He has potential, so I hope NJPW gives this guy a push.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I watched Power Struggle 2017. The main event was Kenny Omega defending his US Championship belt against Beretta. Beretta showed some athleticism and ring smarts when he did that sweeping German suplex. Beretta has a high tolerance of pain, especially when Omega did that Bison stomp on him right through the table outside the ring. Since that match, Beretta hasn't been on TV much. He has potential, so I hope NJPW gives this guy a push.
Beretta has been doing a lot in the American Indy scene, so I doub5 ye would get a push of a sort in NJPW, but I do agree with you though about Bretta being smart and everything.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD

If it wasn't for the fact I always work early mornings...

I so need to find a way to keep up with the G1 as best I can this year. I've been bitten a decent amount by the New Japan Bug and since I actually now know about the roster a decent amount, I am seeing a lot of great match-ups which either will tell a great story on their own or just, in general, can be great matches. Omega vs Kota, Omega vs Tama Tonga (story), Naito and Omega, Naito and Sanada, watching Zack Sabre Jr use his mind and his underlying hatred for the British Conservative Party to twist people into pretzels, seeing Hirooki and Ishii smack each other to a pulp...Then in the A Block, Okada, Minoru Suzuki, Jay White (Okay, I have a soft spot for Jay White? He still has room for improvement but he's an Edgelord through and through and can be even better with a little more seasoning) EVIL, Tanahashi.

200.gif

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
They were in the process of successfully elevating him to heavyweight but he has been unable to wrestle since February sadly due to a couple of rather serious injuries.

Hopefully he is back by the end of the year.

Reactions: Geese

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
So Hiromu has a broken neck after the botched phoenix plex. He was able to finish the match and walk to the back collapsed backstage.

He is currently receiving treatment and is in a stable condition but there has yet to be any news on how long he is expected to be out.

It obviously sucks but to be honest it was also kinda expected with how much of a daredevil style he works. Wrestling is dangerous in itself.

You can only dance with the devil so many times

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
So Hiromu has a broken neck after the botched phoenix plex. He was able to finish the match and walk to the back collapsed backstage.

He is currently receiving treatment and is in a stable condition but there has yet to be any news on how long he is expected to be out.

It obviously sucks but to be honest it was also kinda expected with how much of a daredevil style he works. Wrestling is dangerous in itself.

You can only dance with the devil so many times

Yeah, his style definitely did him no favors, although, on the Pheonix Plex, it was caused a bit by Dragon Lee also. Since he wanted to sell the exhaustion, or he could have been exhausted, he didn't get Hiromu completely over. Then Hiromu continued on at a high level and probably hurt it more.

As someone who is becoming a new fan of his, hopefully, he'll be healed and he updates his in-ring style a bit to fit with the character while keeping him safe. Daryl Jr needs him around to mentor him.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Chaos (Hirooki Goto & Jado) over Ren Narita & Toa Henare

Chaos (SHO & Tomohiro Ishii) over Chaos (Toru Yano & YOH)

Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) over David Finlay & Juice Robinson

Suzuki-gun (TAKA Michinoku & Zack Sabre, Jr.) over Kota Ibushi & Yujiro Takahashi

Los Ingobernables de Japon (SANADA & Tetsuya Naito) over Bullet Club (Chase Owens & Kenny Omega)

Togi Makabe over YOSHI-HASHI

Hangman Page over Bad Luck Fale

Post-match the Firing Squad go to hang Page with his own noose but the Golden Lovers make the save!

Michael Elgin over EVIL

Hiroshi Tanahashi over Minoru Suzuki

“Switchblade” Jay White over Kazuchika Okada

Switchblade cuts a show-closing promo laying claim to Chaos as his.

Tomohiro Ishii over Toru Yano

Tama Tonga over Juice Robinson

Hirooki Goto over SANADA

Kota Ibushi over Zack Sabre, Jr.

Kenny Omega over Tetsuya Naito

Reactions: Snowman1

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Guerrillas of Destiny (Tama Tonga & Tanga Loa) over Shota Umino & Toa Henare

Chaos (Jado & Toru Yano) over Suzuki-gun (TAKA Michinoku & Zack Sabre, Jr.)

David Finlay & Juice Robinson over Kota Ibushi & Yujiro Takahashi

Los Ingobernables de Japon (SANADA & Tetsuya Naito) over Chaos (SHO & Tomohiro Ishii)

Chaos (Hirooki Goto & YOH) over Bullet Club (Chase Owens & Kenny Omega)

Michael Elgin over Hangman Page

EVIL over YOSHI-HASHI

Togi Makabe over Minoru Suzuki

Bad Luck Fale over Kazuchika Okada

“Switchblade” Jay White over Hiroshi Tanahashi

White cuts a promo putting himself over for beating Tanahashi and Okada.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
They are pushing Jay White HARD and the guy is actually improving more and more. Big things are in store for the Switchblade.