New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
STRONG STYLE EVOLVED – アメリカ・ロサンゼルス ロングビーチ WALTER PYRAMID

IWGP U.S. Championship match: Jay White (c) Vs. Hangman Page

Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi Vs. the Young Bucks

Jushin Thunder Liger Vs. Will Ospreay (Rey Mysterio was removed from the event; injury)

Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii Vs. (NJcup winner)Zack Sabre Jr. & Minoru Suzuki

Los Ingobernables de Japon (minus Evil he's injured) Vs. Hiroshi Tanahasi,Dragon lee, KUSHIDA & Dragon lee.

Roppongi 3k & Rocky Romero Vs. Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio sky.

Cody Rhodes & Marty Scrull Vs. Guerrillas of Destiny

Chuck taylor & Toru Yano Vs. Killer Elite Squad

Gedo & Hirooki Vs. Juice Robinson & David Finlay

Strong Style Evolved comes to us live from the west coast, Long Beach, California on March 25th. The show will air at 8pm est/5pm pst/7 central. The show will be broadcast on AXS TV along with the stream on NJworld.

This is a good looking card I'm excited to see some more Jay White and LIJ of course. Golden Lovers Vs. Young Bucks is gonna be insane but the craziest thing is G.O.D Vs. Cody and Scrull...Bullet Club Vs. Bullet Club? [HASHTAG]#BulletClubisfine[/HASHTAG]. How y'all feeling about this show?

Reactions: Mike Thunder

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
STRONG STYLE EVOLVED – アメリカ・ロサンゼルス ロングビーチ WALTER PYRAMID

IWGP U.S. Championship match: Jay White (c) Vs. Hangman Page

Kenny Omega & Kota Ibushi Vs. the Young Bucks

Jushin Thunder Liger Vs. Will Ospreay (Rey Mysterio was removed from the event; injury)

Kazuchika Okada & Tomohiro Ishii Vs. (NJcup winner)Zack Sabre Jr. & Minoru Suzuki

Los Ingobernables de Japon (minus Evil he's injured) Vs. Hiroshi Tanahasi,Dragon lee, KUSHIDA & Dragon lee.

Roppongi 3k & Rocky Romero Vs. Christopher Daniels, Frankie Kazarian & Scorpio sky.

Cody Rhodes & Marty Scrull Vs. Guerrillas of Destiny

Chuck taylor & Toru Yano Vs. Killer Elite Squad

Gedo & Hirooki Vs. Juice Robinson & David Finlay

Strong Style Evolved comes to us live from the west coast, Long Beach, California on March 25th. The show will air at 8pm est/5pm pst/7 central. The show will be broadcast on AXS TV along with the stream on NJworld.

This is a good looking card I'm excited to see some more Jay White and LIJ of course. Golden Lovers Vs. Young Bucks is gonna be insane but the craziest thing is G.O.D Vs. Cody and Scrull...Bullet Club Vs. Bullet Club? [HASHTAG]#BulletClubisfine[/HASHTAG]. How y'all feeling about this show?

I know it is this Sunday and this may be a good excuse to finally watch one show live as the time zone isn't as big of a pain.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score

Being the Suzuki Gun mark I am, this is the match I'm most hyped for. I know it's mostly a throwaway tag match but still! Will be a good one with both Sabre and Suzuki being technical masters.

Last edited:

Geek773

First RWK Euro Champion
Banned
Reaction score
Being the Suzuki Gun mark I am, this is the match I'm most hyped for. I know it's mostly a throwaway tag match but still! Will be a good one with both Sabre and Suzuki being technical masters.
I feel like this match is gonna surprise people, could potentially be phenomenal. Big part of me wants ZSJ to get a fall on Okada, but brain tells me it'll be Okada over Suzuki, very possibly with that cobra clutch thing.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
I feel like this match is gonna surprise people, could potentially be phenomenal. Big part of me wants ZSJ to get a fall on Okada, but brain tells me it'll be Okada over Suzuki, very possibly with that cobra clutch thing.

I'd love to have Okada take the pin clean. Since it's a tag match it wouldn't hurt him too much but would be a good rub for ZSJ / Suzuki.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
For the Okada/Ishii vs Suzuki/Sabre Jr tag, I have a feeling it could go two ways.

1. Zack Sabre Jr either taps out Tomohiro Ishii or at least forces a stoppage to put over the idea that he can beat Okada even more and add to his momentum from beating Naito, Ibushi, Sanada, and Tanahashi in the New Japan Cup.

2. Tomohiro Ishii could maybe set something up with Minoru Suzuki and have him be the next challenger to the IWGP Intercontinental Championship. That way we have two Suzuki Gun vs Chaos matches at Sakura Genesis.

And...

The Beer will still be warm. But I do see it as a potentially solid tag team match with Ishii and Suzuki being able to kill a man just by looking at them, Okada's showmanship, and ZSJ's technical ability.

Mike Thunder

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I only see Ishii losing that one, probably to ZSJ. Okada is heavyweight champion and ace, so he almost certainly won't lose. Suzuki is Intercontinental champion and is in a program with Naito at the moment, so him losing probably won't happen. ZSJ is the winner of the NJ Cup and next heavyweight challenger, so he probably won't lose either. That leaves out Ishii, who hasn't really done much since WK.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Strong Style Evolved was pretty damn great...

That Main Event...had me in the feels...

Also: Jay White vs Hangman Paige, not the greatest compared to the rest, but it picked up near the end as Paige was like "Fuck my neck" and took as many sick bumps as possible.

Then Ospreay vs Liger was solid...

Just it was great.

Mike Thunder

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Good show. Really liked the main event, even though there were a few botches and not so good moments.

¡Tranquilo!

World's Finest Failure.
Reaction score
2018.04.01 SAKURA GENESIS 2018 | NEW JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING

DWnBvHaW0Acy9V3.jpg

Sakura Genesis airs live on April 1st at ~3am eastern (I'll have to check it later, the time conversion is tricky)via NJPWWorld.com: 非対応端末エラー:ULIZA

Here's the card:

Young Bucks Vs. Chase Owens and Yujiro Takahashi

Toru Yano and Tomohiro Ishii Vs. Taichi and Takashi Iizuka

NEVER OPENWEIGHT 6 MAN TAG CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH:

Tonga Loa, Tama Tonga and Black Fale (c) Vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, Micheal Elgin and Togi Makabe.

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson and David Finlay Vs. Yoshi-Hashi, Jay White and Hirooki Goto.

Tetsuya Naito, EVIL and Sanada Vs. Killer Elite Squad and Suzuki.

IWGP Jr. TAG TEAM CHAMPIONSHIP 3 WAY:

El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru (c) Vs. Hiromu Takahashi and Bushi Vs. Roppongi 3k

---------------------------

IWGP Jr. HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH:

Will Ospreay (c) Vs. Marty Scrull

Golden Lovers Vs. Cody and Hangman Page

IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH:

Kazuchika Okada (c) Vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score

El Desperado and Yoshinobu Kanemaru (c) Vs. Hiromu Takahashi and Bushi Vs. Roppongi 3k

I am a Suzuki Gun mark but I would love for Time Bomb and Bushi to take the win there. The two are ridiculously talented!

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
2018.04.01 SAKURA GENESIS 2018 | NEW JAPAN PRO-WRESTLING

DWnBvHaW0Acy9V3.jpg

Sakura Genesis airs live on April 1st at ~3am eastern (I'll have to check it later, the time conversion is tricky)via NJPWWorld.com: 非対応端末エラー:ULIZA

Here's the card:

Young Bucks Vs. Chase Owens and Yujiro Takahashi

Toru Yano and Tomohiro Ishii Vs. Taichi and Takashi Iizuka

NEVER OPENWEIGHT 6 MAN TAG CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH:

Tonga Loa, Tama Tonga and Black Fale (c) Vs. Ryusuke Taguchi, Micheal Elgin and Togi Makabe.

Hiroshi Tanahashi, Juice Robinson and David Finlay Vs. Yoshi-Hashi, Jay White and Hirooki Goto.

Tetsuya Naito, EVIL and Sanada Vs. Killer Elite Squad and Suzuki.

---------------------------

IWGP Jr. HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH:

Will Ospreay (c) Vs. Marty Scrull

Golden Lovers Vs. Cody and Hangman Page

IWGP HEAVYWEIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP MATCH:

Kazuchika Okada (c) Vs. Zack Sabre Jr.

Too bad I most likely will be in bed then :cry:

Gembo

The Showoff
Reaction score
Watched (most of) this show earlier. (I skipped some matches lower on the card I wasn't interested in.) Honestly it was really good, especially the main event. I've not watched a lot of NJPW, but after that I'll definitely be keeping up with it. That main event was brilliant, definitely a 5 star match, I loved how they managed to make the match so emotional while also making it so entertaining.