New Japan Pro-Wrestling General Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score

Seems like he's pulling a Mondai Ryu.

History lesson:
Mondai Ryu is the designated heel jobber in Dragon Gate. Originally he was the third guy to use the Super Shenlong gimmick, but after going on a losing streak he snapped and became "Pro wrestling's problem child and the saltiest wrestler in wrestler".

He's a rowdy masked hooligan who is part of every heel group in Dragon Gate. He loses more matches than he wins but he doesn't give a damn because he's just out to fuck babyfaces over. Known for throwing salt in people's eyes in particular.

If they do something like that with Captain then I'm all in

Stopspot

Reaction score
The upcoming KOPW card is the weakest they have had since they started running the show in 2012. The wrestlers have a lot of work to make that card feel big

Dojo

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrishero2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
wAjEdMB
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
bOKjo7Z
Maybe they're hoping for a UFC Fight Night. A bunch of match-ups that on paper look p. lackluster but when the time for the comes around, it's actually a really great show.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Maybe they're hoping for a UFC Fight Night. A bunch of match-ups that on paper look p. lackluster but when the time for the comes around, it's actually a really great show.
I'm not really talking about match quality. I'm more concerned with the fact that this card on paper is very weak for a show as big as this, and worry about the house. Ryogoku holds 14 thousand people.

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Yeah, it's a weak card drawing-wise. I think some of the blame rests on the fact they're doing that stupid Omega/Goto rematch. O'Reilly has also not been established as a big name in Japan yet. The rest of the card (save for Camacho involvement) should be fun filler but it's not gonna draw much either.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Yet to watch the Kobe show, or I guess I should say only two matches from the card.

Were the six-man tag for the joke titles and Elgin vs Naito good?

Stopspot

Reaction score
Yo @seabs
CtlaoViVYAAr0PL.jpg

Their suit game is on point

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Finally managed to catch the 6-man tag for the joke titles and Elgan/Naito from the Kobe show. They were pretty darn good, especially the ME.

Looking forward to watching KOPW tomorrow.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Big fan of Ibushi only being willing to come back to New Japan for spot work as a cartoon

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
NJPW star Michael Elgin is set for surgery on Thursday to repair a fractured orbital bone.

Elgin suffered the injury on Sunday at NJPW's King of Pro Wrestling event, in an eight-man tag team match against Los Ingobernables de Japon. After initially hoping to push through the injury, Elgin said that NJPW wanting him to get it looked at was the right move. In the above video, Elgin noted that despite undergoing surgery, he's "looking forward" to regaining his IWGP Intercontinental Championship.

"New Japan's a huge company, and they wanted me to get it looked at," Elgin said. "I mean, it was the right thing because it's called a blowout fracture of the orbital bone, and basically the bottom of your orbital here [points to eye] gets fractured, and a lot of the tissue that holds your eye into place is coming through the fracture."

According to Elgin, he still plans to challenge Tetsuya Naito in a rematch for the IWGP Intercontinental Championship at Power Struggle on November 5.

Source

Have a speedy recovery and see you soon, Big Mike.

Stopspot

Reaction score
Fuck Okada's dinosaur or his rain of money. Fuck Tanahashi coming out with the Megadeth guitar player. Fuck Nakamura and his cape.

Onita and Chono had the best set of entrances to a single match ever.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
So, umm, KOPW was great.

Those last three matches, though! Just great stuff.

The undercard was good, all championship matches delivered (besides Dem Boys/GoD) and overall, it was a pretty great show.

This'll be up there when it comes to show of the year contenders.

Looking forward to watching Road to Power Struggle.