More info on new Florida Base promotion.

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Double J

Reaction score
Source: PWI's Mike Johnson's blog

Some new names that I’ve confirmed are signed to the Florida start-up promotion in the last week or so are Booker T, Paul London, Rocky Romero, Vader, Sonjay Dutt, Super Crazy, Hijo Del Rey Misterio and 2 Cold Scorpio. I am told that there are some other younger talents who have signed as well, but I haven’t confirmed any names yet.There’s been a strong rumor in the last 24 hours that some top Ring of Honor talents may have signed here as well, but I cannot confirm that at this time.

I am also told that the contracts signed by talent do not officially take hold until this October. So, that it appears to be when the project is going to officially launch – at least in terms of when the first tapings look to be taking place. As of today, there are no set dates for the tapings or even a location for said taping.

Any talk that the promotion is going to simply be a Florida-based company is just that – they are planning for a much grander scope in terms of their goals. The plan is to do tapings and try and find a national television outlet. I am told that everyone involved realizes the reality of the situation and that no one is expecting a deal to fall in their lap overnight. Based on what I am hearing, I don’t believe the promotion is looking to buy themselves timeslots either, a strategy that has led to many an early death for pro wrestling companies.

One of the reasons the company has been so secretive about letting names out and launching is that they don’t want there to be a huge buzz or hype, feeling it will leave fans waiting for them to get going while their main focus right now has been building the company’s infrastructure. I am told one of the things the company has been working on is setting up benefits for the wrestlers. The story being told among those who are signed is that everyone involved will receive full medical benefits as well as a 401K and stock options in the company, so if the group takes off, everyone shares in that success. I am told that was something Milton Wilpon has pushed after hearing some of the stories from older talents about how they have been treated over the years. If all that comes together, it’s certainly a great idea.

If all this is true about trying to treat the wrestlers better and such then TNA better watch their asses. If things continue the way they are now it really wouldn't surprise me to see a lot of the younger guys, like Styles, Wolfe, etc jump to this new place.

Thing is though it doesn't matter how stacked your roster is or how great of financial plans you have, if the writing/booking is crap then none of that matters....See TNA for example.
This might be a good place for Heyman to go if TNA doesn't give him control.

Oh and as a side note; Fuck Booker T, I use to like him but with a place where a bunch of young guys are trying to get signed the only vet they need is It's Time! It's Vader Time!

Edit: Another side note in case it's asked.
El Hijo de Rey Misterio is "The Son of Rey Misterio" which is Rey Mysterio jr.'s cousin and the original Rey Mysterio's son. I've only seen him in a couple of matches but he's really good as far as lucha libre goes. He reminds me alot of how Rey Mysterio Jr. was when he first came to ECW and WCW; fast, high flying, before he put on all the WWE bulk.
He does wear a mask almost identical to Rey's WCW mask which was his uncle's old mask so it will be interesting to see what he wears when he comes to the states. It really wouldn't surprise me if he has to go by another name completely due to WWE.

Double J

Reaction score
Found this so figured I'd add it.

This is El Hijo De and Senior;
Revolution_tag_champ.jpg

And this is El Hijo De's current look;
Hijodereymisterionew.jpg

So yeah it's almost certain they'll be changing his look and name, I'd be really surprised if WWE let him stay exactly how he is.

Montana

Reaction score
I'm not too impressed by the guys they've signed so far, and they still need a good tv deal to be sucessful.

Booker T - NIce vetern for the roster
Vader - It will be cool to see him once or twice, but i can't see him being able to move, or help the roster much in the long run
Paul LOndon - He was quite sloppy in PWG.
2 Cold Scorpio - Maybe 10-15 years ago.
Romero - Good pick up
Sonjay - Pretty good pick up
Super Crazy - ehhh
Hijo Del - Should be a big part of the roster.

Interesting to see what ROH wrestlers will jump. Rumor has Austin Aries was a big fan of medical benefits.

JurassicBonez

Reaction score
The health benifits are a plus, but this doesn't seem like it's going to be a big promotion. So I'm confused on where all the talk is coming from with people saying that big names from TNA and possibly WWE are going to jump.

imported_Adam

Reaction score
Montana why are you talking about scorpio like hes some old piece of shit? his match at hardcore justice proved hes almost as agile as he was back in the old days and he looked almost as good as some of the younger guys... i think this promotion would prosper greatly by signing him

Double J

Reaction score
The health benifits are a plus, but this doesn't seem like it's going to be a big promotion. So I'm confused on where all the talk is coming from with people saying that big names from TNA and possibly WWE are going to jump.

You never know, TNA started out with top indy guys and some other vets and they've grown. TNA could be bigger by now had they had better financial, health, and writing plan. At least these guys are trying to start out smart, getting everything set before just running out there trying to get TV deals and such. Younger guys in TNA are constantly getting screwed as of late so I could see some of them jumping over. Many are on a pay per appearance contract and hardly used so jumping would be a pay raise. People like Lethal and Styles may not jump ASAP but if things continue to be a roller coaster ride there then you never know.

They could easily have a good women's division like TNA use to have just by picking up all the knockouts that TNA released.

I'm not so sure about any big guys jumping from WWE. I could see Carlito and other midcarders that were released recently going there but many guys like John morrision and Ziggler are getting more tv time as of late. I couldn't see people like Christian jumping just because you know he's making more in WWE than he would be in Florida.

imported_Adam

Reaction score
I could see the florida promotion bringing in a lot of legends to create buzz and bring in new guys and then releasing the legends or giving them minor rolls, considering that would be smart to do... and they look like theyve done everything smart so far..

imported_Adam

Reaction score
think of it, new guys coming in to see half-decent legends like x-pac or hall or goldberg and deciding they want to stay, after the promotion has enough good young guys they release the legends or keep them on in minor rolls as publicity

Double J

Reaction score
It's already been proven to work, it's what TNA did when they wanted to get their name out. The problem is then getting rid of the legends which TNA has yet to really do.

Montana

Reaction score
Montana why are you talking about scorpio like hes some old piece of shit? his match at hardcore justice proved hes almost as agile as he was back in the old days and he looked almost as good as some of the younger guys... i think this promotion would prosper greatly by signing him

I'll give scorpio some credit, for his age, he's pretty damn good. I did not see him on the hardcore justice PPV (idk i would want to watch that ppv) but i've seen him on some indy shows. I just don't think i'd use 2 Cold Scorpio, and be exploiting the fact they signed him. He hasn't really wrestled on the big time in many years, and really isn't a draw. Good for him, still be active in the ring, but if i was this new company, i wouldn't be bragging about signing him. Thats all. I just seems a little silly to me. Also too if i'm starting a new company i'd bring in younger guys. (not Scorpio/Vader/Super Crazy) No disrespect.

I think it's funny how some people start to love ECW after all these years, but pay no attention to ROH. (not you, just in general) To me, they are not all that different.

imported_Adam

Reaction score
except for the fact that ECW is good. lol jk roh is pretty good but i don't get it where i live on my tv which is kinda sad since im only like an hour or maybe 2 away

TheAnswer

Reaction score
I think this secret promotion is Jimmy Harts XWF. It used to take place in Florida and has yet to literally fold and Jimmy Hart has said that he wants to start the XWF back up again.

imported_Adam

Reaction score
but hes currently in a TNA contract and he has Wrestlicious added to the fact that hes old.. so i doubt hes gonna be doing too much more.. besides if he can just sit at home and do nothing while TNA pays him and finds something for him to do, why would he risk that?

chessarmy

Reaction score
^ Jimmy Hart is not involved.

And yes people this will be a big promotion, the report said they have plans to go big and not just be yet another indy. Could the report be wrong? Possibly, but with guys like Booker T, Paul London, and even Vader signed I can see that the promotion does not want to stay small.

Now they just need one more thing, A NAME!!