MLB Offseason Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ben

Reaction score
http://espn.go.com/mlb/story/_/id/7239006/sides-close-major-league-baseball-labor-deal-sources-say

MLB unlike the NBA pretty much has there labor deal all figured out:

Among other things, it will pave the way for realignment of the sport into two 15-team leagues, adding a second wild-card team in each league, spreading interleague play throughout all six months of the regular season and making significant changes to the draft, free agency and the so-called "Competitive Balance Tax."

Hate the idea of realignment to be honest. MLB playoff system is just right and the way the leagues are set up are great. 8 teams in the playoff are more than enough.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
Well atleast as of right now we don't have to worry about a lost baseball season this spring.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Well, I think this will lead to more heated playoff chases even if it means lesser teams will be involved then before. It also boosts the fact that playoffs should be a place where most of the teams with positive records have a chance to continue their seasons and not get jibbed when compared to other sports. To be fair I like their playoff system already and it was just updated in 1994 if I am correct. The only thing it's really going to help or downplay is the American League East with those teams taking over even more.

Killswitch

Reaction score
I actually like the 2nd wild card team, if you don't win your division there should be some "penalty" and forcing the wild card teams into a one game playoff will mean they will have to expend more pitching than a team who won their division. Imagine if the Cardinals would have had to play the Braves in a one game playoff this year and then had to go to Philly with Carpenter already spent in the one game playoff versus the Braves... I think this would have dramatically changed the post season outcome...

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
MILWAUKEE -- Baseball owners unanimously approved the sale of the Houston Astros from Drayton McLane to Jim Crane on Thursday, which will lead to the team moving from the NL Central to the AL West for the 2013 season.

The decision will give each league 15 teams, baseball's first realignment since the Milwaukee Brewers switched from the AL to the NL after the 1997 season.

As part of the Astros' agreement to switch leagues, the sale price was cut from $680 million to $615 million, a person at Thursday's meeting told The Associated Press. The person spoke on condition of anonymity because details weren't announced,

Major League Baseball will make up part of the $65 million difference, paying McLane $35 million
over three years, the person said.

Commissioner Bud Selig said owners also approved two additional wild-card teams for the postseason, meaning 10 of the 30 teams make the playoffs. Selig said he hopes the expanded playoffs can start next year, but he said the specifics are being worked out. The players' association favors the move.

"You do things for a long period of time. The addition will really help us in the long run," Selig said.
Owners also approved longtime San Francisco Giants executive Larry Baer to replace Bill Neukom as the team's controlling owner.

In addition, MLB executive vice president Rob Manfred said progress was made on a new collective bargaining agreement to replace the deal that expires Dec. 11.

Selig saluted McLane, who bought the team in 1992 for about $117 million. The Astros struggled mightily on the field last season, losing 106 games.

"Drayton should have a wonderful legacy of what he did for the Astros, got them a new ballpark and did all these things," Selig said. "He sure left a much better franchise than when he came in."

ESPN.com

Last edited:

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
MILWAUKEE -- Dale Sveum has accepted an offer to be the next manager of the Chicago Cubs.

Sveum, previously the Milwaukee Brewers' hitting coach, will be officially introduced on Friday morning at Wrigley Field, the team said. He succeeds Mike Quade, who was fired a disappointing 71-91 season that extended the Cubs' infamous championship drought to 103 seasons.

He is receiving a three-year contract from the Cubs, a baseball source said.

Sveum has little experience as a manager, other than an interim stint for the Brewers late in 2008 after Ned Yost's firing, when he led them to the playoffs. He also served as Boston's third base coach when Epstein was the general manager.

Cubs president of baseball operations Theo Epstein and general manager Jed Hoyer were seen walking into Sveum's hotel on

Thursday afternoon. They emerged an hour later, walking with Sveum out of the hotel and into a waiting car

ESPN.com

Killswitch

Reaction score
I have two questions. Is it possible Sveum is preparing the way for a Prince Fielder bid and/or did Theo especially look for a hitting coach to make the most of the terrible salary overload he's saddled with? Just thinking...

Killswitch

Reaction score
Addition of playoff slots is HORRIBLE. Imagine last year's September if it had this. Braves and Cards both safely in, Sox and Rays both safely in. Instead we got one of the most exciting finishes in MLB history. I hope the players refuse to approve that garbage.

The only reason MLB wants this is to make Red Sox chasing the Yankees more exciting and meaningful. This improves things for one division and makes it much worse for the other 5. Selig is a horrible commish.

Ben

Reaction score
Think the Sveum, doesn't have much to do with getting Fielder as he's going to go where he can get the most money. Cubs hired big name guys so why not go with someone that's not so highly touted, plus I think he's going to be a good fit for some of the young guys they have coming up.

Also can't believe there announcing MVP so damn late, maybe I just didn't pay attention in the past, but it would be nice to have it earlier.

Killswitch

Reaction score
Verlander wins the MVP

Wowsers. In an absolute sense I don't mind this, there is most certainly an argument that Verlander was the most valuable player this year.

Ben

Reaction score
I'm against a pitcher being able to win MVP, granted they can make a big difference on there team, they only play 30-40 games a season and already have there own award in the CY Young, much rather would of seen it gone to a everyday player.

No More Sorrow

Reaction score
NEW YORK -- Baseball players and owners have signed an agreement for a new labor contract, a deal that starts blood testing on human growth hormone and expands the playoffs to 10 teams by 2013.

The five-year deal collective bargaining agreement, which was announced Tuesday, makes changes owners hope will increase competitive balance by pressuring large-market teams to rein in spending on amateur draft picks and international signings.

The extra wild cards in each league will be added for next season, which means the playoff field will expand immediately, a source told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney.

At a time when the NBA season is threatened by a lockout and the NFL preseason was disrupted by labor strife, it ensures baseball will have 21 consecutive years of labor peace since the end of the 1994-95 strike.

The deal is the first contract since Michael Weiner replaced Donald Fehr as union leader last year.

It remains to be determined when HGH testing will go into effect, the source told Olney.

Blood tests will be taken on game days in spring training to see what effect they have on a player's energy level. Those samples will be discarded immediately, the source told Olney. If the tests go well, MLB will proceed with HGH testing during regular season

ESPN.com

Only if it was this simple for the NBA.