Man in the Mask

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Well thats where I said the guys coming in had no chance. Rey was more of a draw than him due when he came in with whom he came in.

Cyrus Riddle

Reaction score
No offense, but that's a horrible comparison. Rey Mysterio has been given title reigns, interview time, plenty of feuds/angles and gets to mix it up with the top guys. Aguila was brought in without any build-up, wasn't given any proper feuds and was kept in a division that the WWE was already making clear it didn't matter. So why would the fans even care?

Lol, yeah, that was a horrible comparison. I guess I was just trying to illustrate that WWE put a masked guy on WM and nothing happened, yet they hype Rey and bring him in, then he skyrockets. It shows they don't know how to promote many of the guys, mainly because they don't understand them or have a desire to see too many masks considering their history of being all about the looks of the face.

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
:this:

What he said.

Reaction score
Lol, yeah, that was a horrible comparison. I guess I was just trying to illustrate that WWE put a masked guy on WM and nothing happened, yet they hype Rey and bring him in, then he skyrockets. It shows they don't know how to promote many of the guys, mainly because they don't understand them or have a desire to see too many masks considering their history of being all about the looks of the face.

It has nothing to do with masks though. Look throughout the WWE history. You're either brought in as a star or you're not. Those who don't receive the star treatment don't get over. Those who do typically does get over with the fans. Look at the 1-2-3 Kid and Taka Michinoku. Both were given some semblance of a push when they came to the WWE. Only one got over though.

On one side was Kid, who picked up one of the biggest upsets in WWE history over Razor Ramon. From there, he continued a little mini winning streak over Ted DiBiase. Over the course of the next few years, Kid wrestled on a lot of PPV's and was featured in noteworthy matches such as the Bret Hart title match in 1994. Even though the WWE made it clear Kid wasn't one of their top guys, they still did enough to make it clear that the fans should care about him.

Meanwhile, Taka came in and quickly became the first Light Heavyweight Champion. He celebrated his first full month as champion by not defending the title once on Raw or at the Royal Rumble. When Taka would eventually defend the belt, it was against guys that received zero hype or build like Pantera or the aforementioned Aguila. After Wrestlemania, Taka did jack shit with the belt until losing it. Taka joining Kaientai also made little improvement in Taka's overness as the group quickly didn't do anything.

Two small guys, both "Pushed", yet only one was cared about. Throughout history, you can find other examples too. For something more recent, just The Colons compared to the over Team Hell No. One is pushed as someone you should care about, the other team is just there.

-CM-

Reaction score
My fav has to be Suicide... Only joking, he was ass. I'm actually not generally a fan of masked wrestlers to be honest. I think that it really works well in Chikara because most are masked there, but the reason why they struggle to get over in WWE could be because they look a little silly alongside the other 'superstars'. Know of course I know that it's all about heritage and the luchadore traditions... But even still it just doesn't work most of the time.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
I legit thought that Suicide was the most entertaining Kazarian had ever been before his current run in Bad Intentions.

-CM-

Reaction score
I just couldn't take the character seriously at all. Some of the moves were bad-ass for sure, maybe if that character wasn't in the video game then I'd have been more involved, but it seemed cheap from the start and I could never adjust =[. Then again I am picky :p

Postman Dave

Reaction score
don't worry, I'm well aware of my minority opinion on this one :lol:

Enforcer

Reaction score
Nah Kaz's work wrestling wise as Suicide was awesome, the shitty part that cheapened the character as a whole as they tied it in to their shitty video game... which made it a joke and a half

Reaction score
Man, Suicide was such a stupid idea. TNA was actually building Kazarian up nicely with the fans starting to accept him as something special. So what do they do? Kick him off of TV for a few months and then bring him back under a mask. The last 12 months of solid booking for Kaz was flushed down the toilet. He still hasn't completely recovered from that.

Petty

If You Smell....
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock3
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
FqVfLpp
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Favorite Sports Team
hwhonWK
Favorite Sports Team
1uls6gJ
Favorite Sports Team
VLDeBdf
Favorite Sports Team
5HahPWE
Man that game was awful. I enjoyed however he is not a lucha, that would be Mick Foley in a Mask. Hands down.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Abyss is a pretty good masked character, quite good in the ring and good character overall.

Lover Boy

Certified
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
Favorite Wrestler
d6hYDrE
Favorite Wrestler
ZIF7zVA
Favorite Sports Team
2JJnnx8
Up until 3 years ago, I agree. After that, nope.
That Dr Stevie angle he was in put his career down a bit and then he did that shit with Hogan which was horrendous. So I agree with you really.