Lance Storm's TNA Rant Part 2

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

★Chuck Zombie★

Reaction score
I posted the whole thing so Roxxi Laveau FanBoy can figure it out.

Lance Storm said:
TNA Clarification

December 11, 2007

It should come as no surprise to anyone that I received a ton of email regarding my TNA is Blue post. I was surprised however that I actually received more email agreeing with my stance than just outright hate mail from the TNA diehards. Some of the TNA defenders got quite rude with me but I did respond to a lot of them and I think I’ve changed at least a few of their views, after explaining my stance better.

In light of that, I thought I would take the time here to clarify my stance, in a calmer manner, and explain to everyone why I get so frustrated and angry with TNA Impact. Most of the TNA defenders defend the current product with the same argument that argument being that Impact is better than WWE programming, and that WWE sucks as much, or even more, than Impact. To this I say, so what! Whether WWE is putting out a worse product or for that matter the worst product in the history of the planet really shouldn’t enter into the argument.

WWE can do whatever the hell they want. Vince can book leprechauns running through spray painted doorways in cement block walls, Mae Young can give birth to a hand, HHH can pretend to have sex with a corpse, it really doesn’t matter. It’s his show, it’s his money, and at the end of the day Vince is making a shit load of money. When quarterly dividends are paid out, every quarter, to WWE shareholders, Vince McMahon makes about 12 million dollars. His product is a success, whether you enjoy the show or not.

TNA on the other hand is losing money, lots of money, and it has been since its inception. Now several people asked why does it have to be about money, and to that I point out that pro-wrestling is a business and for a business to succeed or even survive, it has to make money or at the very least break even. So if you like TNA and want TNA to exist (which I do more than you could possibly know) you should want TNA to make money, because companies that continually lose money eventually go out of business (Note: WCW).

TNA’s main income stream or at least its biggest potential income stream is PPV revenue. Increased buy rates could generate a huge increase in revenue, for TNA, at no additional cost what so ever to the company. Impact’s primary goal should be to generate interest in TNA PPVs in hopes of driving PPV buys. If Impact fails to do this, Impact is a failure.

So let's look at buy rates. TNA is drawing in the neighborhood of maybe 20,000 buys per PPV. To give this number perspective ECW (WWE’s third brand) at its absolute worst (The December to Dismember PPV) drew approx. 90,000 buys on PPV. This number was considered so bad that Vince McMahon pulled the plug on ECW as a PPV entity, deciding that it wasn’t a strong enough show to carry itself on PPV. TNA is currently doing maybe 25% of that number. Even TNA’s most successful PPV only did approx. 60,000 buys (Angle – Joe 1).

So this brings up the logical question; why is TNA doing such poor numbers on PPV? I would say these numbers are bad for all the reasons I rant about in my TNA commentaries. Confusing nonsensical booking, bait and switch booking, not honouring stipulations and promises, pointless gimmick matches, comedic portrayals of far too many characters, over booking and watering down of everything that could mean anything, etc.

For TNA to draw on PPV they need to start booking some serious angles that consistently make sense that fans can get into. You don’t even have to take my word for it; you can take the word of Jim Cornette. Jim Cornette has far more experience in the wrestling business than I do, and knows more about it than just about anybody. He even works for TNA. The following is what he had to say in a Power Slam magazine interview, several months ago about pro-wrestling and drawing money.

“Every big money gate, every big rating and every bench mark and record in this business is set by something that people can buy into and take seriously and a conflict they want to see resolved. That’s what it’s all about.â€

I couldn’t have said it better myself! I can’t buy into “Chris†Abyss going to jail for shooting his father in the back 3 times. I can’t take Kurt Angle in a pilgrim suit seriously, nor do I see what conflict reverse battle royals or brief cases on poles solve. And let’s look at all the conflicts that do exist in TNA: Robert Roode and Tracy Brooks are in conflict, Kurt and Karen Angle are always in conflict, Leticia Cline and the new announce girl were in a conflict that one week, James Storm and Miss Tennessee were in conflict, Jim Cornette and Matt Morgan are in conflict, on the PPV Kevin Nash and Samoa Joe were in conflict.

Are any of these conflicts something we can get behind in hopes of seeing resolved? Of course not! None of the guy - girl conflicts can be resolved in TNA because guys can’t touch the girls so there will never be a match we can pay to see, to resolve these conflicts. Jim Cornette and Matt Morgan certainly aren’t going to work on PPV, and Samoa Joe and Kevin Nash were buddy buddy on Impact last week with no explanation of how their conflict was even resolved. All of this conflict is a waste of time and just a distraction from any conflict that could potentially draw money.

Even look at what has drawn money for TNA. Joe and Angle 1 was the biggest draw in the company's history, drawing nearly triple their usual buy rate. What did they do to draw that number? Kurt Angle showed up on Impact and head butted Joe right in the face and the two guys tried to beat the shit out of each other. It looked very serious; fans bought into it, and wanted to see the conflict resolved. End result: 60,000 buys.

Since then Kurt has sought psychiatric therapy from Kevin Nash in a sun bed, wandered around back stage in his underwear looking for his clothes, argued with his wife and convinced her to try to sleep with Kevin Nash, and held a Thanksgiving dinner in his house (which oddly enough is both in Pittsburgh and only a few short minute commute from the Impact Zone) where he dressed up in a pilgrim suit, and acted like Eric Young’s older brother. The end result of all this great booking: 20,000 PPV buys or less. 2 out of every 3 people who bought Angle – Joe 1, are no longer buying PPV, why do you think that is?

Now is not the time to celebrate killing ECW in the ratings, now is the time to change the creative direction of this show in an attempt to drive buy-rates, and try to make this company money, so it doesn’t become WCW 2. Those who defend this show are part of the problem not the solution. Blind Faith is never a good thing and people need to not only open their eyes but also try to open the eyes of those in charge of TNA. I get mad and rant about TNA because I care about TNA and everyone who works there. I want to see TNA become a viable company financially so it will be around for the long haul. I want TNA to succeed for the good of the fans that watch it, for the good of the boys who work there, and for the good of the industry as a whole. Maybe if we all just scream loud enough someone will eventually hear us. If they don’t, eventually I won’t have TNA to rant about because and the die-hard TNA fans won’t have a show to get behind.

Lance Storm

Barurot

Reaction score
Heh, I'm a bigger fan of TNA than WWE, and even before Storm said it, I already think that TNA's booking is Blue in so many levels... I still watch TNA though... :p

Majin

Reaction score
i really wish lance would get a life,and stop watching tna if he didn't like it,simple as that really

monkeystyle

Reaction score
Irregardless whether its spam or not he's still right. And your blatant dodging of the facts at hand is pretty weak.

PeepShow

I read all of that and can sum is up pretty simply. I know it's sort of on the contructive side of critisism, but does he think that TNA is supposed to be the most perfect thing in this entire world. I mean seriously, he wants all of that to change. Well guess what Storm, go make your own federation and see if you can make it as far as TNA has in the past 5 1/2 years. Then we will talk.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
I read all of that and can sum is up pretty simply. I know it's sort of on the contructive side of critisism, but does he think that TNA is supposed to be the most perfect thing in this entire world. I mean seriously, he wants all of that to change. Well guess what Storm, go make your own federation and see if you can make it as far as TNA has in the past 5 1/2 years. Then we will talk.

He doesn't expect it to be perfect. He expects it be entertaining, and sensible. But the most important point he makes in the whole article is that TNA is not making money. In order for TNA to start making money, they need to deliver a better product than what the WWE is currently putting out on a regular basis. Which they aren't. They're putting out a different product, and different does not necessarily equal better.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Yes peep because Lance really has the start up capital for that. Lance has been in the wrestling business for longer than most of the people who book and run TNA (IE RUSSO!!!!!!) so maybe they should listen to guys like Lance and Cornette instead of disregarding them. He's right, the times when the business was at its hottest, there were guys who the fans thought (or wanted to think) they wanted to kill each other. Austin/McMaon. Hogan/Piper. Name ANY feud hotter than those two...Name one that has come close to 1/100th of that in Talent Not Available....

PeepShow

Yes peep because Lance really has the start up capital for that. Lance has been in the wrestling business for longer than most of the people who book and run TNA (IE RUSSO!!!!!!) so maybe they should listen to guys like Lance and Cornette instead of disregarding them. He's right, the times when the business was at its hottest, there were guys who the fans thought (or wanted to think) they wanted to kill each other. Austin/McMaon. Hogan/Piper. Name ANY feud hotter than those two...Name one that has come close to 1/100th of that in Talent Not Available....

Exactly, so like I said, lets see what he can do. It's not his position to critisize something that he he watches. So lets see what he can do with his own fucking business. Im not saying I disagree with what he is saying, b/c yes, most of what he is saying is true. But the thing is, just fucking keep your mouth shut if you dont have anything to do but complain and try to tell TNA to make the product better. You dont like it, go start your own promotion and see what hops outta that.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Exactly, so like I said, lets see what he can do. It's not his position to critisize something that he he watches. So lets see what he can do with his own fucking business. Im not saying I disagree with what he is saying, b/c yes, most of what he is saying is true. But the thing is, just fucking keep your mouth shut if you dont have anything to do but complain and try to tell TNA to make the product better. You dont like it, go start your own promotion and see what hops outta that.

Peep, YOU CRITICIZE THE WWE ALL THE FUCKING TIME!!!! How come you can and he cant? Are you better than Lance Storm all of a sudden?