• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

John Cena passing the Torch

Undertaker

Reaction score
Wow, people were quick to jump this article. Shows how cynical you all are.

I do see this as a passing of the torch, I mean, the BIGGEST STAR, took a backseat to you, that's something. And then even fully endorsed you and got the crowd to chant your catchphrase.

But that doesn't mean shit, does it? Because it didn't happen in a match? Come one, get out of the past people. Times have changed.
Actually it shows how gullible you are.

You do realise that Ryback is only filling in for John Cena because he's injured? Therefore I don't see how this along with the corny segment at the end of RAW can be defined as passing the torch. As I have previously written, passing the torch is generally done after a long feud where the older wrestler gains a new found respect for the newer wrestler. I don't see how four weeks of the WWE sitting on their backsides and twiddling their thumbs over John Cena and who CM Punk's opponent would be at Hell in a Cell is 'passing the torch' and because Ryback's catchphrase got chanted by Cena, really?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Maybe a silly article on WWE.com isn't worth this much discussion. Just maybe. This is great for Ryback, as he'll get that first loss out of the way. You would have to be a moron to think he's actually winning. He'll lose and he'll lose to some epic heel shit so he comes out of the loss stronger than he went into it. It's quite simple. All Cena's doing is being a babyface and showing that he doesn't have any ill will towards Ryback taking his place. It's not that complicated.

Pete

Reaction score
I think this situation could potentially lead to an alliance of some sort between Cena and Ryback, where Ryback turns face (or is he face already?) and Cena and himself have each other's back, with maybe the odd tag match or two against a tag team of direct opponents. Maybe a team of heels beats one of them down and the other comes to the rescue, then the other reciprocates one or two shows later, etc. This way, they both look strong, Ryback gets his push out of the endorsement, and they could then easily turn one of them heel (probably Ryback), have them feud, and one beat the other for the title. They'd have to put the title on Ryback for that, though.

BDC

Reaction score
Nah, I agree. I think WWE is testing the waters and getting fan reaction here...Vince is good at that kinda thing. No title though...but maybe either a face turn or a feud with Cena when he turns on him. But NO TITLE...although...he is going up against Miz for a title, isn't he?

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I seem to remember someone, who arrived just after Mania one year, went on to win the KotR, and won the Undisputed title by SummerSlam, or did everyone just forget about Brock Lesnar's rise in the WWE and are just calling Ryback a Goldberg wannabe because they forgot that Brock too had a streak.

It is definately not inconceivable that Ryback "COULD" take the belt at HiaC, drop it in November/December to Punk/Cena, and build up to The Rock at Rumble. It's not like anyone is expecting them to wait & pull the trigger on Ryback with MitB, and the character could grow stale by Rumble without any major wins, which would put Ryback in a Swagger situation.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
I seem to remember someone, who arrived just after Mania one year, went on to win the KotR, and won the Undisputed title by SummerSlam, or did everyone just forget about Brock Lesnar's rise in the WWE and are just calling Ryback a Goldberg wannabe because they forgot that Brock too had a streak.

It is definately not inconceivable that Ryback "COULD" take the belt at HiaC, drop it in November/December to Punk/Cena, and build up to The Rock at Rumble. It's not like anyone is expecting them to wait & pull the trigger on Ryback with MitB, and the character could grow stale by Rumble without any major wins, which would put Ryback in a Swagger situation.

Bring it up every week in the Live thread (You should join in). JR and Cole have also been flat out making the comparison. And someone (punk?) called him the next big thing.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
I rarely watch during the live airings, and tend to read reviews more often than actually watching lately. Its just based on what I see people on this site talk about with Ryback. Brock was barely 6 months in the door, and the fans took to his win. What exactly would be wrong with Ryback winning in comparison?

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
I remember NO ONE thinking a certain ginger haired white guy would win the WWE title from Cena no less in like his 4th week on Raw, but yeah, that happened. So I can easily see Ryback taking the title. Would be the most interesting thing. I'm a Punk fan, but I'm so behind Ryback, that I would love to see an Era of him being the WWE champion. Would make for some interesting Raws, I think.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
I rarely watch during the live airings, and tend to read reviews more often than actually watching lately. Its just based on what I see people on this site talk about with Ryback. Brock was barely 6 months in the door, and the fans took to his win. What exactly would be wrong with Ryback winning in comparison?
Hasn't had near enough credible wins over guys like Brock had. Brock won KOTR, beat guys like Jeff Hardy, both of the Hardy's in one match, and biggest of all beat Hulk Hogan before winning the title. Ryback's biggest win was beating Miz and most of his matches were against jobbers and no names. That's not even taking into account that Rock was going out the door for a little while That's why it isn't a good comparison. The idea of Punk's long reign ending to a up and coming guy is 100% the right thing to do it's just too soon.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
So, he is being descriminated against based on talent available for him to face? WWE lacks any tag team with the popularity of the Hardy's in 02, and there guy who is 20 years out of his prime is only wrestling once a year now. Then the fact that Raw needs to establish their own #2 Face so Cena can get time to heal for the Road to Wrestlemania so they can hype him.

Asides from Ziggler, The Miz, & Punk(all of which he has faced, or is going to be facing) what heels would be better for him in todays era? Asides from ADR he basically has/will face all the top heels in under 1 year.

Then there is always the Sheamus arguement, because really he was beating jobbers on ECW, got a few weeks on Raw still beating those same jobbers from ECW, then won the WWE Championship from their top face thats booked like a certain Kryptonian.

All I am trying to point out is that Ryback losing at HiaC is not etched in stone, like so many people in this thread seem to believe. The history is there, and so the possibility of it happening is also there.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
^^ I do agree with most of what you're saying and don't think it would be a bad thing to put the title on Ryback. The only problem is The Rock having that guaranteed title shot at the Rumble.. I highly doubt they would want a Rock/Ryback match and furthermore I'm pretty sure Rock has full say as to who he will work with and doubt he would agree to work with Ryback.. Therefore they'd have to have Ryback drop the title rather quickly and immediately step away from the title picture. There are too many seeds already planted for either Rock/Punk or Rock/Cena at the Rumble. My guess is all the Lesnar comparisons they've slipped in are leading to a Lesnar/Ryback match at either Survivor Series or TLC after Lesnar interferes somehow at HIAC and costs Ryback the match.

As for the passing of the torch thing, NO, passing the torch is something you do on your way out and Cena isn't going anywhere... I think it's more just making room for another guy at the top.. Nothing wrong with having several guys at the top of the card (think back to when they had Austin, Rock, HHH, Mankind, Undertaker, and HBK) I think they want at least one or more 'top draws" so they aren't completely killed in ratings and ticket sales if one guy needs some time off.

ThatGuyFromNukemHigh

Reaction score
there are still 2 PPV's(atleast) between HiaC & Rumble, a rematch with Punk, then leading to Brock/Ryback, which would in turn lead to Rock/Brock 2.

Ryback can then enter the Rumble(Heyman had a contract that said Ryback would not get a rematch), and win, leading to Ryback finally getting his rematch at Mania.

It could all fit in when you really look at the big picture for a Mania payoff. but it all really depends on what exactly they have planned for Rock.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
yeah there's Survivor Series and TLC and it is possible... I just see them holding off on Ryback getting the title for a little with The Rock already being in the title picture.... but then again stranger things have happened

Embrace Thou Maryse

Reaction score
Helping Maryse practice her French Kiss...
Favorite Wrestler
maryse
Favorite Wrestler
therock4
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Such laughable bookign though, for weeks Cena comes out and demands a title shot, says its all he wants but then just turns around and gives it away. Sesame Street has better booking.

Reactions: 1 person