John Cena Becoming A Heel?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Neptune

我很喜歡吃餅乾
Reaction score
It’s been a tough month for the WWE, at a time when they should be ecstatic. Earlier in the month, WWE announced the company’s Q3 2015 financial results which showcased a strong third-quarter. The numbers showed an increase in WWE Network subscriber’s, which showed a 62% increase from Q3 2014.

But then the news of Seth Rollins’ injury hit the wire and all things changed. It changed not only impacted the WWE’s Survivor Series plans but it also impacted their initial plans for WrestleMania 32, which was likely to see Rollins (defending the title) square off against both Dean Ambrose and Roman Reigns in the main event.

Yes, it created opportunity and rushed fans into a “dream match making” scenario, but it also forced their Creative Department to consider solutions but also consider how to carry the positive financial trend into 2016 and WrestleMania 32.

It’s been rumored that an Undertaker vs. John Cena scenario has been considered for Mania and although Sting vs Undertaker has not been 100% removed from the table, Sting’s health may effect the chances of that match ever happening.

WWE had invested so much over the past year to build Seth Rollins as their top heel (villain) and his loss leaves WWE in need of a powerful heel character. They teased a Roman Reigns heel turn and there has been speculation that Dean Ambrose could turn heel as well, but they aren’t likely to have the immediate impact that WWE may hope.

KEEP READING

This is a post from Forbes. If you keep reading you will get to this...

Monday Night RAW, a show that has seen a dip in ratings throughout the year, is not a carbon copy of the last and no longer has the “must see” element that it did during the ‘Attitude Era’.

It doesn’t mean WWE needs to return to it’s raunchy and graphic days or yesteryear in order to succeed, but it also doesn’t mean that they can’t create provocative content without relying on pushing the envelope. NXT has relied on it’s uniqueness and it’s individuality to lure in fans and subscribers to the WWE Network. It’s worked there and it can work on the “main roster” as well.

John Cena turning heel, in the right way, may mean a bit of a drop in his merchandise sales, but it doesn’t spell financial doom for WWE. In fact, most of their best heels were some of their biggest money makers. “Stone Cold” Steve Austin, “The Heartbreak Kid” Shawn Michaels, Degeneration-X, CM Punk and even their own CEO Vince McMahon.

To me, if they really want to pass on the baby face of the company over to someone else, why not let Cena have a heel run? He would gain fans, and yes lose some. I mean him as a face is funny but imagine how good he would be as a heel? His turn would rev-up ratings up in a huge way. I think this can be the best move they can make to really bring back the unexpected "DID THAT JUST HAPPEN!?" of the WWE.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
This is fantasy booking and problem solving more than anything. I don't really care for a heel Cena anymore. It seemed cool a few years back, but now the boat has sailed on the idea. He's already a heel, but just being pushed as a face. Much like Bo Dallas and New Day.

If it were to happen, I don't see a big enough star to match him up. Hogan had Sting, Austin had Rock, Cena had Punk but that was the last time for them to go ahead. Heel Cena vs Face Punk would've been the best way to cap off their feud in 2011 or 2013. If he would to turn heel, no one can really match him up. But that also allows the probability of a new super face to rise out of this. Preferably Reigns, Ambrose or Bryan. As all are already over as faces and sell merch like mofos.

Reactions: Snowman1

Neptune

我很喜歡吃餅乾
Reaction score
This is fantasy booking and problem solving more than anything. I don't really care for a heel Cena anymore. It seemed cool a few years back, but now the boat has sailed on the idea. He's already a heel, but just being pushed as a face. Much like Bo Dallas and New Day.

If it were to happen, I don't see a big enough star to match him up. Hogan had Sting, Austin had Rock, Cena had Punk but that was the last time for them to go ahead. Heel Cena vs Face Punk would've been the best way to cap off their feud in 2011 or 2013. If he would to turn heel, no one can really match him up. But that also allows the probability of a new super face to rise out of this. Preferably Reigns, Ambrose or Bryan. As all are already over as faces and sell merch like mofos.

I know what you are saying and I agree but I still feel like moving him to a complete heel would raise ratings. It would get people talking again. Like he can do a heal run where he over-powers the authority figures. Even if this means HHH becomes a face for the benefit of the story line. I just feel like any minor thing they do at this point wont make things better. They need to build for the future NOW because a lot of today's wrestlers will be riding off into the sunset in 3 to 5 years or becoming periodical wrestlers like the Rock.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I would love to see Cena 16 time world championship run as his heel turn, especially if Roman Reigns becomes champion and stays babyface. Although I doubt either of them will turn heel, especially Cena.

If they both turned heel they could be the modern day 2 Man Power Trip, which would be insanely awesome.

Reactions: Zany Clowny

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Cena won't turn heel. There's been too many chances for him to do so, they'd rather do it with reigns before cena. It's a gamble with cena. He makes them a lot of money as a face and, sure, maybe he could make more or he same as a heel and help push other talent, for once, but WWE is afraid to gamble that.

Neptune

我很喜歡吃餅乾
Reaction score
What better way to put Roman over though as a face then to have Cena be a heel? They can have a long drawn out feud like Rock and Stone had.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
What better way to put Roman over though as a face then to have Cena be a heel? They can have a long drawn out feud like Rock and Stone had.
Oh it would be beautiful, increase sales, and create an awesome rivalry. But, WWE won't push cena as a heel until someone can nearly fill his shoes.

Reactions: Neptune

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score

I don't think that would solve anything. The large faction of fans that really don't want Reigns on top are not going to get behind him as a face versus a heel John Cena. To them it would just seem like another attempt to push Reigns as their next big face and that is exactly what those fans are not liking. I mean, what could seem more pushy than turning your biggest name face of the past 10 years into a heel to oppose the guy you want as your next top face? It would just more of the same they have been doing with Reigns already. WWE has not turned Cena heel despite MANY MANY opportunities to do so. If they do it now for Reigns, especially when no sensible story line for it currently exists, it will seem like the ultimate attempt to push Reigns as the top face and it will not go over well.

Then, they will alienate the fickle fans who love Cena as a face. These fans are the ones who already like Reigns. The Cena hating fans are not going to get behind Reigns if he opposes a heel Cena because they already hate Cena. So they won't have a dog in the race at all. They also hate Reigns for the same reason they hate Cena. The fans who are completely uninterested in Reigns or Cena will be alienated from this feud and in the end, Reigns will not get more over and WWE would have damaged the profitability of their biggest face.

Really bad idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: Neptune

Messiah1

The Showoff
Banned
Reaction score
They're afraid of merchandise sales taking a hit.. The amount of merch this guy sells is absolutely ridiculous, nobody comes close. Only one guy came close to topping Cena a few year's back and that lasted about a month.. Unless someone steps in to be the new face of WWE, he can't turn heel, they need a face of the company and nobody is on that level yet..

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
They're afraid of merchandise sales taking a hit.. The amount of merch this guy sells is absolutely ridiculous, nobody comes close. Only one guy came close to topping Cena a few year's back and that lasted about a month.. Unless someone steps in to be the new face of WWE, he can't turn heel, they need a face of the company and nobody is on that level yet..

LOL, why do you refrain from saying CM Punk's name?

Reactions: edge4ever