Jericho vs. Punk : Possible Iron Man Match @ Wrestlemania

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
For one Punk did beat Cena clean at MITB and despite how the finish went he beat Cena at SummerSlam without help. Also to test your theory name me the major star that Rock beat clean at mania to make him a here to stay main eventer. Same with Triple H to use a few examples. Rock's biggest win at mania was against Hogan and by that time Rock was as big of a star as Cena is now. Triple H's biggest wins to became a here to stay main eventer were against Foley who is by no means a big name.

Kingslayer

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
damiensandow
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
wadebarrett
How wasn't it clean? Vince and Ace came out while Punk was in the STF, not showing any signs of tapping and Cena went out of the ring to stop Ace from ringing the bell then Punk hit the GTS on Cena.. That's not a dirty win. Fuck, if anything Punk was the one about to get screwed.

Are you serious? Cena got distracted, there was no way Punk was going to beat Cena 100% legitimately in the middle of the ring. He didn't do it at SummerSlam either when Cena's foot was on the rope. Both finishes screamed "Punk will go over but Cena will still look better". The MITB win didn't have Punk cheating, so it wasn't DIRTY, but it definately was NOT clean. Clean means 100% legit. No weapons, no cheapshots, no distractions whatsoEVER. There was no way that Punk was going to beat Cena in a match where the two of them were just left to fight on their own.

Are you kidding me? Jericho puts guys over that deserve to be over. He did a ton for Sheamus at the Rumble, did it for Bourne in his last run, and even made the tag titles relevant for a few months.

Evan Bourne? Are YOU kidding me? Evan Bourne has gotten absolutely NOWHERE. As for Sheamus, he already had more credibility than Jericho. Once it came down to those two, I knew there was no way Jericho was winning. That's the mark of a jobber. What helped Sheamus was winning the actual Rumble, not because he eliminated Jericho.

For one Punk did beat Cena clean at MITB and despite how the finish went he beat Cena at SummerSlam without help. Also to test your theory name me the major star that Rock beat clean at mania to make him a here to stay main eventer. Same with Triple H to use a few examples. Rock's biggest win at mania was against Hogan and by that time Rock was as big of a star as Cena is now. Triple H's biggest wins to became a here to stay main eventer were against Foley who is by no means a big name.

No, he DIDN'T. You people have no concept of what the word "clean" means. Warrior vs Hogan at WM 6 is clean, Austin vs HBK at WM 14 is clean, Angle vs Michaels at WM 21 is clean. Punk vs Cena at MITB is a distraction win to protect Cena and make him look better.

As for Rock and Triple H, I didn't say that it absolutely HAD to be at WrestleMania, but that's where it USUALLY is. And I don't remember their early careers that well but I'll guarantee that someone big put them over clean at some point to get them big. Clean is the only way to go. You've got to look like you can hang in there with anybody.

Last edited:

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Are you serious? Cena got distracted, there was no way Punk was going to beat Cena 100% legitimately in the middle of the ring. He didn't do it at SummerSlam either when Cena's foot was on the rope. Both finishes screamed "Punk will go over but Cena will still look better". The MITB win didn't have Punk cheating, so it wasn't DIRTY, but it definately was NOT clean. Clean means 100% legit. No weapons, no cheapshots, no distractions whatsoEVER. There was no way that Punk was going to beat Cena in a match where the two of them were just left to fight on their own.

Evan Bourne? Are YOU kidding me? Evan Bourne has gotten absolutely NOWHERE. As for Sheamus, he already had more credibility than Jericho. Once it came down to those two, I knew there was no way Jericho was winning. That's the mark of a jobber. What helped Sheamus was winning the actual Rumble, not because he eliminated Jericho.

No, he DIDN'T. You people have no concept of what the word "clean" means. Warrior vs Hogan at WM 6 is clean, Austin vs HBK at WM 14 is clean, Angle vs Michaels at WM 21 is clean. Punk vs Cena at MITB is a distraction win to protect Cena and make him look better.

As for Rock and Triple H, I didn't say that it absolutely HAD to be at WrestleMania, but that's where it USUALLY is. And I don't remember their early careers that well but I'll guarantee that someone big put them over clean at some point to get them big. Clean is the only way to go. You've got to look like you can hang in there with anybody.
They were trying to screw Punk not Cena and it backfired. Then as a bonus add in the failed cash in back up plan that Vince tried. So he beat Cena and made the boss of the company look like an ass. There was zero focus on well maybe if Cena didn't hit Johnny he wouldn't have lost. The focus was on they tried to screw Punk and it failed and then tried to screw Punk again and it failed. If you wanna go there with being protected Punk was protected like crazy against Triple H and there match where you had tons of interference and took multiple finishers and Nash attacking Punk for Triple H to win.

And the Triple H example I used wasn't at mania and wasn't against a big star which was your point that they had to beat a big star clean to become a star main eventer and Triple H never did that on his way to becoming that. Same with Rock his biggest wins they were either not clean or not against huge names at the time.

Reaction score
You realize what the point of looking strong is, don't you? So that when somebody beats you, they look GOOD. Triple H rarely loses but when he does, he makes STARS. Look at Batista. Has Jericho ever done that for somebody? No, because he jobs for everyone in the WWE. He's the resident job hooker, everybody gets a turn. With 1 job, Triple H has done more for the business than Jericho did with 1000. THAT is what the business is supposed to be about. What's it gonna do for Punk beating the wrestling equivalent of a prostitute? Not a damn thing, because everybody else in the company has done it too. There's no way to make him look good coming off a win like that. Strangely enough, Jericho's "brilliant wrestling mind" has never quite been smart enough to figure out something so simple.

How long did it take for Triple H to actually put someone over? If I recall correctly, he was winning belts and retaining them consistently for YEARS. He didn't make many people look like stars. We already knew the outcome of the match before it even started because they wouldn't have smaller guys beat Triple H. Oh sure, he put his Evolution crew over; however I have never given a rat's ass about Batista or Randy Orton.

As for Chris Jericho, he has always put wrestlers over because he understands that that's how the business works. That's one thing I've always liked about Chris Jericho; he isn't scared to lose a match and make another wrestler look good. He has also put on excellent matches with guys like Eddie Guerrero (WCW), Shawn Michaels and Edge. I don't see why it's doubtful that he and CM Punk can put on a good match and draw people into it. The fact that so many people actually wanted to see this match happen and I am pretty certain that the WWE took this into account is a great sign.

Johnny Ace

Reaction score
Punk is already at permanent main event status what are you talking about? Ever since MITB last year he's been in most of them. Plus when is the last time you can remember John Cena not even being on a PPV and allowed the main event to rely on Punk to be the undisputed top face of that night? He's at the point where he can main event a show without holding the world title if the match was a big enough deal. He isn't going anywhere when it comes to being out of the main event picture. At the very least he won't main event a PPV but he'll be apart of the biggest SL on the show.
You know what, you need to go back and actually watch Jericho back in the ECW days, WCW days, and the early WWE days. Jericho made a huge impact on this business, and if he gotten the pushes that he deserved in WCW he could of surpassed Shawn Michaels legacy. He has done a lot for the business and you don't know talent when it slaps you in the face.

An ironman match would be cool at Mania, but I would personally rather see Bryan and Punk in a 60 minute iron match, that would be colossal and it would steal the show, but they are not going to do that much less an ironman match between Jericho and Punk. It is interesting to think that Jericho has a great chance at EC and to have Punk cash in his rematch at Mania.

Reactions: 1 person

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Did you quote the wrong post? Cause I didn't mention Jericho in my post lol.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Punk apparently not being able to wrestle and apparently is gonna be a midcarder in a few months kind of got more my attention.

AF.

Reaction score
I dont want to live on this planer anymore if its filled with idiots like you. Kill yourself.

Were you trying to say planet? I don't know what planer you're living on.

Jericho is fucking boring. CM Punk isn't the most exciting either. I'd rather see HHH and Taker in an iron man match then these two.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Triple H/Taker ironman match 12 years ago would be amazing but in 2012 Taker would have to retire after it.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Taker would probably have to retire in the middle of it.

AF.

Reaction score
That would also be more entertaining then a Punk/Y2J iron man. Takers retirement.

SAL

Reaction score
They'd promote it by having HHH stand in the ring for an hour every Monday (and Taker every Friday) staring back and forth at a pocket watch and the Wrestlemania sign.

Johnny Ace

Reaction score
Did you quote the wrong post? Cause I didn't mention Jericho in my post lol.
Haha, yeah it looks like it. I meant to quote a Jericho hater.

Triple H and Undertaker in an iron match, both men would die from breath deprivation.

Reactions: 1 person

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Bit late to this thread but my issue with the idea of an iron man match between these two, and it may have been mentioned before by someone else in this thread, is the fact that this will be the first match of their feud. I like the idea of these two wrestling an ironman match because I think that it would be a fantastic match to watch, I think that both are extremely talented and their styles would match well, but it would have to be the final match in their feud. Give them a regular singles match at WM28 but give them close to thirty minutes.