How do you feel about Intergender Matches?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I feel awful for laughing at that, but I couldn't help but read in CM Punk's voice.
200.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jay-Ashley

MildlyUpsetGerbil

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
I want to go ahead and get this in before anyone else, and this isn't my opinion, but some would say Ronda making Triple H tap out would make senses because she is a legit fighter, unlike Triple H, so now that I got that out of the way. If they did follow that plan it would seem dumb to me and like you said silly.
Ronda weighs 135 pounds; Triple H weighs 255. Ronda had zero matches prior to her debut; Triple H had hundreds. MMA is fine and dandy, but I don't think a person whose total time in combat is twenty minutes can realistically submit a person that's gone through three stages of hell matches and iron man matches. For a professional wrestling match, I expect the professional wrestler to be capable of defending against a submission being performed by a rookie greener than the grass on my lawn.

I know you're just quoting potential arguments, but this ties into the "Brock Lesnar is a legit badass, so he can beat anyone, ayy lmao" crap I see people spew. MMA vets don't deserve to be booked at the top of the card simply because they fought in the cage. Brock winning matches since he's a tough former WWE Champ and streak ender, sure, fine, I don't mind it. But opposing people beating him because it's "unrealistic" that a wrestler can beat a UFC guy in a professional wrestling match? Give me a break!

On one hand, it is an empowerment for women to take on men, on the other hand it is a man "beating" a woman.
It also raises the question of why gender barriers are put in place in regards to championships if men can fight women on equal terms.

You are right but at the same time, it isn't fair to them in the same sense.
Can't it also go south for WWE in the sense that the supplements or whatever that transgender people have to take also end up potentially being viewed similar to performance enhancing drugs? It sucks ass for these people, but we simply aren't scientifically advanced enough to make them 100% change gender (assuming doing so is even possible, which I doubt). Even with all the body modifications we can make, they aren't going to fully become what they desire, as you point out here:

Men can transition to women and women to men, but biologically they don't change. That is where this kind of thing gets tricky.

And for this:
I just want to know how they (WWE) would handle it.

I'd like to refer to this article where Stephanie proclaims that WWE has an interst in using LGBTQ characters: WWE ’Will Integrate LGBT Characters’ Into Their Television Shows

Granted "characters" doesn't necessarily mean "legitimate LGBTQ people out of kayfabe", it's worth noting.

Reactions: Solid Snake

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Ronda weighs 135 pounds; Triple H weighs 255. Ronda had zero matches prior to her debut; Triple H had hundreds. MMA is fine and dandy, but I don't think a person whose total time in combat is twenty minutes can realistically submit a person that's gone through three stages of hell matches and iron man matches. For a professional wrestling match, I expect the professional wrestler to be capable of defending against a submission being performed by a rookie greener than the grass on my lawn.
You have just echoed my very thought I have said before to others I have had that argument, you could say, about.

I know you're just quoting potential arguments, but this ties into the "Brock Lesnar is a legit badass, so he can beat anyone, ayy lmao" crap I see people spew. MMA vets don't deserve to be booked at the top of the card simply because they fought in the cage. Brock winning matches since he's a tough former WWE Champ and streak ender, sure, fine, I don't mind it. But opposing people beating him because it's "unrealistic" that a wrestler can beat a UFC guy in a professional wrestling match? Give me a break!
I agree 1,000% with that statement so much, man.

Reactions: MildlyUpsetGerbil

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I haven't seen that Asuka/Minoru match you've mentioned yet in full but I assume it's the one where Suzuki just like brutalizes her for like a minute straight? The thing I love about that in particular, is that Asuka *booked* it like that herself. Another reason I have a lot of respect for her.

On the note of Ronda tapping Triple H out instead, I'll be honest that'd mostly bother me because the match was explicitly stated to be a mixed tag match so it shouldn't count as the finish of the match. It'd fit with that match though, so it also wasn't a tornado tag team match until Ronda tag in, and then all of a sudden the rules didn't matter and everyone was legal all the time. I feel like I was the only one bothered by that.

As for intergender matches, I don't have a single issue with them, and at times it saddens me that they basically don't exist in WWE anymore (especially with Ellsworth gone) because dammit Asuka vs. Daniel Bryan would be amazing. Of course, I understand why several people have an issue with it but as long as the story's right, both participants are willing, and the match is structured properly, it doesn't really matter to me.

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I haven't seen that Asuka/Minoru match you've mentioned yet in full but I assume it's the one where Suzuki just like brutalizes her for like a minute straight? The thing I love about that in particular, is that Asuka *booked* it like that herself. Another reason I have a lot of respect for her.
Yes, I was talking about that exact match.

On the note of Ronda tapping Triple H out instead, I'll be honest that'd mostly bother me because the match was explicitly stated to be a mixed tag match so it shouldn't count as the finish of the match. It'd fit with that match though, so it also wasn't a tornado tag team match until Ronda tag in, and then all of a sudden the rules didn't matter and everyone was legal all the time. I feel like I was the only one bothered by that.
Eh, to be honest, I skipped the match, but that would bother me as well.

As for intergender matches, I don't have a single issue with them, and at times it saddens me that they basically don't exist in WWE anymore (especially with Ellsworth gone) because dammit Asuka vs. Daniel Bryan would be amazing. Of course, I understand why several people have an issue with it but as long as the story's right, both participants are willing, and the match is structured properly, it doesn't really matter to me.
I agree because Bryan vs Asuka would be an amazing match, and even if both people were cool with it the sponsors and society would have a problem with, you know. Also, now you have made me wanting Bryan vs Asuka damn it.

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
Eh, to be honest, I skipped the match, but that would bother me as well.

I agree because Bryan vs Asuka would be an amazing match, and even if both people were cool with it the sponsors and society would have a problem with, you know. Also, now you have made me wanting Bryan vs Asuka damn it.

The Ronda match was actually pretty fun which I think let most people forgive it for that (and the match pretty much only got fun once they abandoned tagging). They legitimately only had tagging it at the beginning to build anticipation for Ronda getting involved. Once Angle tagged in her for the first time, it pretty much broke down into tornado rules. Was nice for a fun pace of contained chaos and even structuring it like that made sense but it bothered me, at least whenever the ref went to count a fall for the guys when the woman were legal.

Oh yeah, trust me I understand why WWE will likely never book Asuka vs. Bryan but I certainly don't posses any of the hang-ups that they have with the concept. & haha, sorry about that. But now you know my pain.

Did you like Ellsworth or the fact that intergender matches took place?

To level with you, I threw that line in as an acknowledgement to the Ellsworth/Lynch match that happened on SDL and Ellsworth's general women wrestling gimmick I'm told he has on the indies, rather than a reflection of my opinion on that. But to answer your question, my opinion on Ellsworth fluctuated throughout his run but I generally liked him fine. He pretty much always nailed whatever direction they pulled him in but I wasn't always a fan of those directions so his release didn't really sadden me since it felt they pretty exhausted all they could with him. I think the match with Lynch was the only intergender match that took place during his WWE run (unless I'm forgetting something), and I liked that that match took place. Because A. it fit with the story they were telling and had hints towards it for months prior, B. I know how hard Becky was pushing for that match to happen IRL, & C. the booked accordingly to the characters & story, as mostly a comedy karmic send-off to the character.

I want to point out my stance on intergender matches are practically the same as regular matches. I'm not going to necessarily be glad if WWE starts producing intergender matches between say Alexa Bliss and Jinder Mahal. I want to see Asuka vs. Bryan because I think they're both fantastic workers that use complimenting styles. At the end of the day, I just want to watch a good wrestling match, and gender doesn't really factor into wrestling ability.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
The Ronda match was actually pretty fun which I think let most people forgive it for that (and the match pretty much only got fun once they abandoned tagging). They legitimately only had tagging it at the beginning to build anticipation for Ronda getting involved. Once Angle tagged in her for the first time, it pretty much broke down into tornado rules. Was nice for a fun pace of contained chaos and even structuring it like that made sense but it bothered me, at least whenever the ref went to count a fall for the guys when the woman were legal.
Eh, I will take your word for it. I don't like Ronda so I avoid her matches and segments as much as possible.

Oh yeah, trust me I understand why WWE will likely never book Asuka vs. Bryan but I certainly don't posses any of the hang-ups that they have with the concept. & haha, sorry about that. But now you know my pain.
True, and you all good. Trust me, I know about pain and WWE, lol.

I'm not going to necessarily be glad if WWE starts producing intergender matches between say Alexa Bliss and Jinder Mahal.
And now I want that to happen for some reason.

I want to see Asuka vs. Bryan because I think they're both fantastic workers that use complimenting styles. At the end of the day, I just want to watch a good wrestling match, and gender doesn't really factor into wrestling ability.
Amen.

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Awesome Kong has done plenty of intergender matches and I have always liked them. The lady can wrestle, she's big and she's strong.

When I was raised, my dad and mom gave different views on this. My dad said you should never hit a girl, even if she's stomping your balls into mush. He said you just let them hit you. My dad is fucking moron. My mom said that fighting is always wrong, BUT if a woman has the audacity to hit you first, you hit them back.

Before I learned karate, my aunt Barbie taught me to fight (her husband's name is Ken, no kidding!). She is like 4'10" but people are scared of her. She told me that it was okay if I got into fights, but I better win. And she told me there is no such thing as a "fair fight." If someone else has the nerve to start a fight with you, woman or man, you do whatever you need to do to defend yourself. You scratch, you bite, you destroy the balls. Basically my aunt wanted me to be Ric Flair.

This is one of the reasons I like Lucha Underground. They make no distinction between genders really.

The reason that intergender matches are fine is the same reason why wrestling isn't really violent. It's a dance and they're only pretending to hurt each other. I don't advocate MMA doing it, although I would like to see Ronda Rousey kick CM Punk;s butt lol. But since wrestling is not real violence, I see absolutely no problem with it.

Wow, that was rambling.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Awesome Kong has done plenty of intergender matches and I have always liked them. The lady can wrestle, she's big and she's strong.
Kind of weird you mentioned her, but I just watched a Intergender match of hers before I repiled, lol.

When I was raised, my dad and mom gave different views on this. My dad said you should never hit a girl, even if she's stomping your balls into mush. He said you just let them hit you. My dad is fucking moron.
Or you dad knew some people had some weird as fetishes...just saying.

My mom said that fighting is always wrong, BUT if a woman has the audacity to hit you first, you hit them back.
My mom told me the exact same thing.

She told me that it was okay if I got into fights, but I better win. And she told me there is no such thing as a "fair fight." If someone else has the nerve to start a fight with you, woman or man, you do whatever you need to do to defend yourself. You scratch, you bite, you destroy the balls.
I think we may share some of the same family members, lol. I was told something similar by my first step-dad, so I understand.

This is one of the reasons I like Lucha Underground. They make no distinction between genders really.
Thank you for saying that because that is one thing about Lucha Underground that is never brought up.

The reason that intergender matches are fine is the same reason why wrestling isn't really violent. It's a dance and they're only pretending to hurt each other.
It's real to me damn it! (I actually get what you saying, but I couldn't resist)

Reactions: Jacob Fox

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Did you like Ellsworth or the fact that intergender matches took place?
I actually thought that match was fine...but it was a "Comedy" Match...
not a serious contest...plus it was a way for them to write the Blobfish
out of the company.

if WWE starts producing intergender matches between say Alexa Bliss and Jinder Mahal.
:emoji_laughing:

*Imagines Jinder hitting the Khallas in Alexa*

Actually that's not funny...

Can Nia use the Khallas on Alexa at Backlash?

I want to see Asuka vs. Bryan because I think they're both fantastic workers that use complimenting styles.
Asuka could easily hang with the men...

And even though intergender matches make me cringe...
for some unknown reason I'd like to see Charlotte "Challenge"
A.J Styles to a World title match.

There is some history there with Ric & A.J in TNA/Impact...
& I'd be curious to see what kind of match they could put on.

Of course I know many people would have an issue will A.J
"selling" to a woman...especially if he was the World Champion...
but frankly...I just think it would be an interesting story to tell.