How do you feel about Intergender Matches?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
First, I would just like to say, I am sorry if I posted this in the wrong area, but I couldn't think of any other place since there isn't a "general wrestling" section. Second, if this thread gets out of hand, I will delete it or ask someone to delete for me as this meant to be a simple debate or whatever you want to call it.

Okay, I think I have made it clear that I am a fan of Japanese Wrestling or to be more exact Japanese Female Wrestling as it was what made me fall back in love with wrestling, and I was watching some old matches of KANA, or Asuka as she is called in WWE, and I came across the match she had against Minoru Suzuki. A match I have watched before and if you haven't seen it I would recommend it if you don't mind Intergender matches, but it got me to thinking about how I felt about Intergender matches, and I am not talking about what WWE calls Intergender or what they use to think it was, and I realized I have mixed feelings about it.

On one hand, I don't really mind it as bad because if a woman wants to fight a man then she should be able to, but on the other hand, it bugs me because for a couple reasons that I will explain. The first reason is that of some of the male wrestlers, from what I have watched, tend to go out of their way to brutality beat the woman and it just looks awful and the second reason is that I know men are superior to women when it comes to muscles and power, this is just science, and so a hundred pound something woman beating the hell out of man just seems unrealistic in a sense, you know.

So again I have mixed feelings about it because I have watched matches where the woman and man both put on a great show and it told a great story, Tessa Blanchard vs Brain Cage or Tessa Blanchard vs Ricochet are some examples, and I enjoyed watching them, but then there are somewhere the man just belittles the woman and throws her around like a ragdoll and it just looks awful, but on the flip side there are matches were the woman just overpowers the man and it makes unbelievable to me.

So you know my feelings about this, and now I would like to know yours. Do you enjoy it? Do you hate it? Or are in between like I am?

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Moved it to "Other Wrestling" since this it is a mix of all of them. :thumbsup:

I am not bothered by it because it is scripted and these people aren't legitimately trying to hurt each other.
However, a match can easily look too brutal and if you have a man facing a woman, it can give the wrong message.

I mean it isn't something I would be excited over or something I need to see happen but if they did test the waters in WWE, I wouldn't be upset over it. Chyna and Beth are two names that have been in matches with men in the past.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Moved it to "Other Wrestling" since this it is a mix of all of them. :thumbsup:

I am not bothered by it because it is scripted and these people aren't legitimately trying to hurt each other.
However, a match can easily look too brutal and if you have a man facing a woman, it can give the wrong message.

I mean it isn't something I would be excited over or something I need to see happen but if they did test the waters in WWE, I wouldn't be upset over it. Chyna and Beth are two names that have been in matches with men in the past.
Thanks, and I thought about that section, but didn't know.

Right, I know they aren't actually going out there and beating the women up for real, but like you and I said a match can look brutal, could give the wrong message, and can make some feel uneasy if they saw or are survivors of domestic abuse, you know.

Right, I don't go out of my way to find such matches, but sometimes either my favorite wrestler is in one or one catches my eye. WWE would never try to do Intergender matches, not what they Intergender, again because of how public they are and "family friendly" they are, but when they did with Chyna in the Attitude Era it was okay, but nothing great.

Reactions: Solid Snake

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
WWE would never try to do Intergender matches, not what they Intergender, again because of how public they are and "family friendly" they are, but when they did with Chyna in the Attitude Era it was okay, but nothing great.

Something to consider here too is what if a male born woman decided to become a wrestler, would they make them face men or women?

When a person goes through those kinds of changes, they are still male or female biologically and taking a bunch of hormones won't make a male weak enough or a female strong enough to the extent of qualifying them to fit into the opposite category (this can be different if hormone treatment is done pre-puberty, I don't know enough on that though).

What would they do in this instance? I do wonder if WWE had ever considered this. I don't watch wrestling outside of WWE to know, but are there trans people actively wrestling on the side they identify with?

Reactions: Mustafar Reginald

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
Something to consider here too is what if a male born woman decided to become a wrestler, would they make them face men or women?

When a person goes through those kinds of changes, they are still male or female biologically and taking a bunch of hormones won't make a male weak enough or a female strong enough to the extent of qualifying them to fit into the opposite category (this can be different if hormone treatment is done pre-puberty, I don't know enough on that though).

What would they do in this instance? I do wonder if WWE had ever considered this. I don't watch wrestling outside of WWE to know but are there trans people actively wrestling on the side they identify with?
You that is a good question especially for WWE and other promotions, and a question that has come many times in recent years.

That is a valid point and one I have heard echoed many of times.

Again, no one really knows because that has kind of became a "recent" thing in Wrestling and any other sports. There is a female Japanese wrestler, I can't remember her name, that is male to female trans and she wrestles both men and women, but when she began she wrestled females as a female, so I hope that helps you out.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
You that is a good question especially for WWE and other promotions, and a question that has come many times in recent years.

That is a valid point and one I have heard echoed many of times.

Again, no one really knows because that has kind of became a "recent" thing in Wrestling and any other sports. There is a female Japanese wrestler, I can't remember her name, that is male to female trans and she wrestles both men and women, but when she began she wrestled females as a female, so I hope that helps you out.
I can see the indies and other promotions taking it on but I can't see WWE doing it because no matter what they allow or decide to have said person wrestle, they would be offending their audience on too high of a percentage. This is probably the same reason they avoided things with men and women (men vs women) on the roster.

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
I can see the indies and other promotions taking it on but I can't see WWE doing it because no matter what they allow or decide to have said person wrestle, they would be offending their audience on too high of a percentage. This is probably the same reason they avoided things with men and women (men vs women) on the roster.
Right that why Intergender is an Indy/ Other wrestling exclusisvly in a sense. Honestly, now I know of want to know what WWE would do with a trans wrestler now because like you said some people who get offended and you would damn if you do and damn if you don't. Well, that and who wants to sponsor a major company where dudes can beat up women?

Reactions: Solid Snake

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Right that why Intergender is an Indy/ Other wrestling exclusisvly in a sense. Honestly, now I know of want to know what WWE would do with a trans wrestler now because like you said some people who get offended and you would damn if you do and damn if you don't. Well, that and who wants to sponsor a major company where dudes can beat up women?

It is just one of those things WWE is probably smart to stay away from. They'd likely screw it up anyways lol

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Just like everything else they do, lol.
200.gif

MildlyUpsetGerbil

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
men are superior to women when it comes to muscles and power, this is just science, and so a hundred pound something woman beating the hell out of man just seems unrealistic in a sense, you know.
This is why gender barriers are rightfully present in WWE. I don't mind having women fight men, though cultural issues regarding it will always be an obstacle for WWE. The individuals involved in the match need to be selected very carefully. The size gap can't be akin to Kalisto vs. Ryback. Smaller size differences will lead to greater acceptance in my eyes. I remember hearing about a Facebook post from Superstar Billy Graham where he claimed that Ronda was originally gonna make Triple H tap out at WrestleMania. I dunno if that's even remotely based in reality, but that sort of thing is downright silly and while I did enjoy the Ronda/Trips spots, an all-out singles match between the two wouldn't go well in my eyes.

All these issues stem from how WWE is viewed. Instead of movies or TV shows where we KNOW it's fake and accept it, WWE is known as fake but we pretend it isn't. That's how I see it, anyways. I'm not a psychologist and could very well just be projecting my own views here.

What message? That women can stand toe-to-toe with people that are physically superior?

What would they do in this instance? I do wonder if WWE had ever considered this.
I'm guessing they'd never hire a person like that just so they can avoid the situation. Personally I'd only let them wrestle with the gender they identify as if they look extremely convincing. There are some transgender people whose voices or appearances make it blatantly obvious they weren't biologically X gender. People (specifically people rather unapproving towards birdies) would be more likely to look pas the trans issue if the person looks convincing enough. Keep in mind that this person also likely wouldn't be allowed to go on tours in certain areas since birdies are discriminated against heavily in many third world countries, which could be an issue if WWE wants to push a transgender star significantly.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
What message? That women can stand toe-to-toe with people that are physically superior?
Men beating women is okay (we know this is scripted but a lot of children still think it is real).
On one hand, it is an empowerment for women to take on men, on the other hand it is a man "beating" a woman.

I'm guessing they'd never hire a person like that just so they can avoid the situation. Personally I'd only let them wrestle with the gender they identify as if they look extremely convincing. There are some transgender people whose voices or appearences make it blatantly obvious they weren't biologically X gender. People (specifically people rather unapproving towards birdies) would be more likely to look pas the trans issue if the person looks convincing enough. Keep in mind that this person also likely wouldn't be allowed to go on tours in certain areas since birdies are discriminated against heavily in many third world countries, which could be an issue if WWE wants to push a transgender star significantly.

You are right but at the same time, it isn't fair to them in the same sense. It is just one of those topics that I am sure will come up in the future and I am curious how they would handle it. To me, looks are only one aspect of it. Men can transition to women and women to men, but biologically they don't change. That is where this kind of thing gets tricky. I have no issue with them wrestling in WWE, I really don't care either way. I just want to know how they (WWE) would handle it. They don't seem to have a handle on what they already have going on. lol

Reactions: Jay-Ashley

Jay-Ashley

The War Dog Rebel
Reaction score
This is why gender barriers are rightfully present in WWE. I don't mind having women fight men, though cultural issues regarding it will always be an obstacle for WWE.
Oh, I agree with you on those statements.

The individuals involved in the match need to be selected very carefully. The size gap can't be akin to Kalisto vs. Ryback. Smaller size differences will lead to greater acceptance in my eyes.
Once again, I agree with you on that. If you have a hundred woman facing a three-hundred man people won't buy into it, but like you said if they look similar then it will look better.

I remember hearing about a Facebook post from Superstar Billy Graham where he claimed that Ronda was originally gonna make Triple H tap out at WrestleMania. I dunno if that's even remotely based in reality, but that sort of thing is downright silly and while I did enjoy the Ronda/Trips spots, an all-out singles match between the two wouldn't go well in my eyes.
I want to go ahead and get this in before anyone else, and this isn't my opinion, but some would say Ronda making Triple H tap out would make senses because she is a legit fighter, unlike Triple H, so now that I got that out of the way. If they did follow that plan it would seem dumb to me and like you said silly.

All these issues stem from how WWE is viewed. Instead of movies or TV shows where we KNOW it's fake and accept it, WWE is known as fake but we pretend it isn't. That's how I see it, anyways. I'm not a psychologist and could very well just be projecting my own views here.
I agree, once again with this.