Have an opinon on Randy Orton? Nobody cares, but post it in here anyway!

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

ZombieTerror_028

Reaction score
good mic skills,good in the ring,but cena is better.

I "would" agree... keyword "WOULD"... if that were true, but it is not. Cena is a great performer, great mic skills, but for someone like myself and everyone else, mic skills arent everything, especially since remember when cena was cool, even when he wasn't heel and he used to actually do his raps, that was a good gimmick, but over the past few years, he's not even like a gangster gimmick anymore, he's just a hero gimmick... it's boring, especially with 5 moves, and the fact that he holds the title for so long at one time... Randy on the other hand, I dont find his gimmick gets stale at all, and aswell, he does a much larger assortment of moves, and really when it comes down to sheer talent, really is better, but really i agree with the wwe's choice of having them as 2 of the top superstars (although Cena is out) but in more of a matter of opinion i enjoy having edge as a top heel, he deserves it.

EC F'n W

Reaction score
Nobody.

Randy Orton is quite honestly one of the most overrated 'superstars' I have ever been forced to watch on tv(hence why I rarely watch WWE anymore). I 'd like to say THE most overrated, but between guys like him, Cena, Batista, Mark Henry, MVP, Great Khali and Umaga, I just don't know who to pick.

But to the point, Orton is not very spectaculare. He gets piontless praise from internet fans and wrestling viewers alike for qualities he just does not have simply because from the get-go it was pretty damn obviouse he was gonna be pushed to main eventer, I just don't buy it. He puts so little effort into his matches until he hits the RKO and that in it's self just looks like a poor mans Diamond Cutter. He cuts promos with the same lame arse boring personality he had since Evolution which I'm afraid sucked as well and his character is so damn sloppy. Now I know he's being pushed this way but I do not care, he just does not live up to the main eventer everybody wanted to see in him. Even today as a WWE Champion he just doesn't cut it, he's just another boring over-pushed pile of crap like Cena and is not much different from him either. And other then suffering two wild bumps in a match with Mick Foley(which Orton undeservedly went over)Orton has done nothing spectaculare to deserve this push and we all know the only reason he's getting it is because of his heritage. I mean come on, just because the guy punts people in the head all of a suddon does not make him an entertaining main eventer warrented for a title run which he only got because he was at the right place at the right time. I do not believe Orton would have went over at No Mercy had Cena not been injured.

CenaMark54

Randy Orton is quite honestly one of the most overrated 'superstars' I have ever been forced to watch on tv(hence why I rarely watch WWE anymore). I 'd like to say THE most overrated, but between guys like him, Cena, Batista, Mark Henry, MVP, Great Khali and Umaga, I just don't know who to pick.

But to the point, Orton is not very spectaculare. He gets piontless praise from internet fans and wrestling viewers alike for qualities he just does not have simply because from the get-go it was pretty damn obviouse he was gonna be pushed to main eventer, I just don't buy it. He puts so little effort into his matches until he hits the RKO and that in it's self just looks like a poor mans Diamond Cutter. He cuts promos with the same lame arse boring personality he had since Evolution which I'm afraid sucked as well and his character is so damn sloppy. Now I know he's being pushed this way but I do not care, he just does not live up to the main eventer everybody wanted to see in him. Even today as a WWE Champion he just doesn't cut it, he's just another boring over-pushed pile of crap like Cena and is not much different from him either. And other then suffering two wild bumps in a match with Mick Foley(which Orton undeservedly went over)Orton has done nothing spectaculare to deserve this push and we all know the only reason he's getting it is because of his heritage. I mean come on, just because the guy punts people in the head all of a suddon does not make him an entertaining main eventer warrented for a title run which he only got because he was at the right place at the right time. I do not believe Orton would have went over at No Mercy had Cena not been injured.

I actually think that Orton is somewhat underrated on the internet. I think he deserves much more credit than he often gets. After his flop of a face turn, Orton was slowly depushed for three years. To say that he has had a constant push is an out and out lie.

Before his recent push in the summer of 2007, the last time Orton won a feud was in 2004 against Foley. Thats not really an over push if you ask me. Yet, he was able to remain over with the fans.

So basically, the constant over pushing of Orton is a myth. He was pushed hard in Evolution, but for the most part it was a midcard push. When he wasn't ready to be the top face they depushed him for just about three years.

Orton deserved his recent push. The fans absolutely hated him when he went around punting people in the head. For years, Orton's reaction as a heel was mixed. He was getting cheered as the arrogant heel. Now he is basically getting almost as much heat as Edge. (Still less than the company's number one heel, Jillian Hall..lol).

Orton would be even more over with the fans if he was able to beat Cena for the title. Which would have happened if Cena did not get hurt. Orton was going to transistion the title to HHH to set up HHH vs Cena 2.

As far as Orton's abilities. His mic skills are better than 95% of the roster. Just because he doesn;t have comedic timing doesn't mean he is bad. He plays his role well. He is a cocky son of a bitch you just want to boo. In the ring, he has an old school style, again playing the role of a heel well. He slows down the matches, works the crowd over, and ultimiately gets the crowd behind the face. Just about every PPV match he has been in has been a really good match.

EC F'n W

Reaction score
I actually think that Orton is somewhat underrated on the internet. I think he deserves much more credit than he often gets. After his flop of a face turn, Orton was slowly depushed for three years. To say that he has had a constant push is an out and out lie.

Um, he's been pointlessly going over guys like Foley, Taker and HBK throughout 2005 to now.

Thats not really an over push if you ask me. Yet, he was able to remain over with the fans.

No he wasn't, the fans barely even cheered for him. Orton never got anything close to a pop at that point and still hasn't.

When he wasn't ready to be the top face they depushed him for just about three years.

No, that was because of his suspencion round mid 2006 and his depush lasted only a little under 6 months. I'm starting to think your assesment on Orton is a myth.

Orton deserved his recent push. The fans absolutely hated him when he went around punting people in the head.

No they haven't, the fans have been giving him the same miniscule heat reaction he's been getting since 2005.

He was getting cheered as the arrogant heel.

The only cheeres Orton ever got that come to mind was in his match with Edge. Other then that I believe this is false information. And Edge is the top heel right now, Orton will never messure up to that.

Orton would be even more over with the fans if he was able to beat Cena for the title.

I don't think so, I feel he would have been seen as just another one of Vince's choices of a boring maijn eventer because lets face, Cena and Orton are just as boring as eachother.

His mic skills are better than 95% of the roster.

That right there is a joke, Orton couldn't fill HHH's boots on the mic department and even that guy isn't cutting his best promos at the moment. I'd even argue that Carlito has better mic ability then Orton. Randy's mic skills are probably his most lackluster ability.

Just because he doesn;t have comedic timing doesn't mean he is bad.

No excuse to say he's good or acceptable either. Orton's promos are so boringly basic, It's like watching a 2nd rate Rick Rude on the mic. He just does not have the special flare guys like The Rock or Stone Cold had in there early days.

He is a cocky son of a bitch you just want to boo.

Been there, seen that and done by way better wrestlers before his time.

In the ring, he has an old school style, again playing the role of a heel well.

He has a boring in-ring style. Broing the crowd with your wrestling style is not being a good heel. If wasting half your match time on a headlock is concidered wrestling or even old-school then wrestling as we know it truly is dead.

Just about every PPV match he has been in has been a really good match.

Thats another joke right there. Other then his matches with Foley and Edge, all of Orton' PPV matches have been quite forgettable.

In short, Orton is just another poor presentation of the top heel or superstar who has his little fan majorities here and there but ultimately a failed effort for a push. The only future I see for this guy is the same as Cena's: redundant, boring main eventer.

CenaMark54

Um, he's been pointlessly going over guys like Foley, Taker and HBK throughout 2005 to now.

No he wasn't, the fans barely even cheered for him. Orton never got anything close to a pop at that point and still hasn't.

No, that was because of his suspencion round mid 2006 and his depush lasted only a little under 6 months. I'm starting to think your assesment on Orton is a myth.

No they haven't, the fans have been giving him the same miniscule heat reaction he's been getting since 2005.

The only cheeres Orton ever got that come to mind was in his match with Edge. Other then that I believe this is false information. And Edge is the top heel right now, Orton will never messure up to that.

I don't think so, I feel he would have been seen as just another one of Vince's choices of a boring maijn eventer because lets face, Cena and Orton are just as boring as eachother.

That right there is a joke, Orton couldn't fill HHH's boots on the mic department and even that guy isn't cutting his best promos at the moment. I'd even argue that Carlito has better mic ability then Orton. Randy's mic skills are probably his most lackluster ability.

No excuse to say he's good or acceptable either. Orton's promos are so boringly basic, It's like watching a 2nd rate Rick Rude on the mic. He just does not have the special flare guys like The Rock or Stone Cold had in there early days.

Been there, seen that and done by way better wrestlers before his time.

He has a boring in-ring style. Broing the crowd with your wrestling style is not being a good heel. If wasting half your match time on a headlock is concidered wrestling or even old-school then wrestling as we know it truly is dead.

Thats another joke right there. Other then his matches with Foley and Edge, all of Orton' PPV matches have been quite forgettable.

In short, Orton is just another poor presentation of the top heel or superstar who has his little fan majorities here and there but ultimately a failed effort for a push. The only future I see for this guy is the same as Cena's: redundant, boring main eventer.

1. His feud with Foley was three years ago. Taker won the Orton/Taker feud. The only reason Orton won a match was because of Cowboy Bob. His victories over HBK are recent (with the exception of 2003). That was during his most recent title push. He never won a feud with anyone from Foley in 2004 through his recent title push.

I'll stress this for the thousandth time. You have to win a feud in order to be pushed. Since 2004 he lost his fued with Evolution, he lost a year long fued with Taker, he lost fueds with Angle and Rey, he lost the Hogan fiasco...

2. Orton was the most over heel in the summer of 2004. The casuals loved to hate him and the smarks just loved him. Watch his title match with Benoit if you need evidence.

Were you even watching wrestling in 2004?

Orton was then turned face at the drop of a hat. It killed all the momentum he had. He started to get that back before jobbing out to Taker and jobbing out to Rey.

Currently, Orton gets more heat than anyone not named Edge or Jillian Hall.

3. Orton has been getting cheers since 2004. Even as a heel. Orton has one of the biggest following of fans for a heel.

4. 95% of wrestling fans don't think Cena is boring. Listen to the reactions he gets. People don't get Hoganesque pops when they are boring the crowd. People love him and people hate him, but they sure as hell care.

5. Orton has had great matches with Foley, HHH, Taker, Angle, Rey, Edge, Benoit, HBK, Cena...Say what you will about Orton, he brings it during PPV

Reaction score
I don't have time to read through this novella but I'd still like to throw my opinion in here. I think this title reign is so far overdue. The guy is a performer of the nth degree. I don't pretend to know or understand wrestling politics so I won't touch on the rumors about his behavior. I do know that he's been in great feuds and matches and should be champ as long as Cena.

The Rated R CMStar

Say what you want about Orton, but to say he doesn't deserve to spot he is in, then you are just plain bluffing.

He was the hottest character in Raw 2004, only to see his momentun killed by turning face and losing to HHH up from Unforgiven to the Royal Rumble. He then started gaining momentum with his feud with Taker, being now completely over with his victory at No Mercy, then it went downhill once again when the losing feud part started with Taker, losing a HIAC to him. He regained heel momentum for the third time by messing with Eddie, and got himself his Mania main event, then lose his heel momentum once again to Rey Mysterio. He starts a midcard feud this time with Kurt Angle, staying the same with a win and a loss. Now on Raw, gains heel heat by feuding Hogan, and somehow by terrible booking and politics loses to an old man. He goes once again to midcard and feuds Carlito. Then, he goes on to be part of rated RKO, gaining once again heel heat, but some of you might say that is thanks to Edge. He goes and enters a semi-feud with Edge, getting this time partly cheered. Goes on to face HBK, RVD achieving full momentum again, then jobs to Cena at Summerslam and Unforgiven. He wins the title at No Mercy and he then goes on to gain victories on HHH, HBK and Jericho, having momentum only comparable to 2004.

All this was posted to prove two points: That no matter who is Orton feuding, as they do care. They boo him out of the arena and when fights someone more over as a heel(only Edge), the crowd just has to react and even cheers for him.

Second, is that he is deserving for his current push. He spent 2 years as a main event jobber. If you didn't know, Randy Orton was slated to be in the roll Cena currently is, but thanks to lowsy booking of WWE, he got his big breakthrough as a face got screwed

CenaMark54

^^^I completely agree with CMS. Orton was a jobber to the stars for the better part of two years. Being a glorified jobber is not a push. Its actually a depush. In order to be a successful jobber to the stars you have to have a certain level of credibility and overness with the fans. Orton had that.

The WWE had two options, push Orton to a world title, or use him to put other wrestlers over. They chose to use him to get others over. Despite the constant jobbing, Orton was able to maintain some reaction from the crowd. A lot of wrestlers would not be able to do that and would have sunk down the card. After several years of jobbing out to the top guys and remaining over, the WWE had no choice but to give him a repush.

Professional wrestling is all about paying your dues. Sure Orton was given a huge advantage by working with HHH in evolution. However, from 2004 to 2007, Orton was not given a thing. He paid his dues and is now being rewarded.

Rob34207

Reaction score
As a performer I like Orton. He makes a much more convincing heel than face. His facial expressions are almost equal to Michaels, and for a subtle psycho he's doing an amazing job cause hes performing it to an audience that has had everything explained to death to them. So I was surprised people take to any subtle character. He has more presence than Edge imo.

JSKillz

Reaction score
I think Orton is great as a performer. Itd be really something to see him on the good side :eek:

CenaMark54

I think Orton is great as a performer. Itd be really something to see him on the good side :eek:

They tried to make him a face once. It didn't work out for various reasons. I doubt they will turn him face anytime soon. Maybe in 4 or 5 years.

Tsaalyo Phoenix

Reaction score
They tried to make him a face once. It didn't work out for various reasons. I doubt they will turn him face anytime soon. Maybe in 4 or 5 years.
They made him a face incorrectly. They tried to make him a John Cena, when what they really should make him is a Stone Cold. He could talk trash and RKO a random heel, spit in Mr. McMahon's face, give MVP a running kick to the head, etc. If he kept his current personality but changed his targets to heels he'd be a very successful face. That's what Kane did, and he's as popular as ever.

CenaMark54

They made him a face incorrectly. They tried to make him a John Cena, when what they really should make him is a Stone Cold. He could talk trash and RKO a random heel, spit in Mr. McMahon's face, give MVP a running kick to the head, etc. If he kept his current personality but changed his targets to heels he'd be a very successful face. That's what Kane did, and he's as popular as ever.

I agree completely. I have been saying for years that Orton should be an Austin like tweener.

Back when Orton won the title in 04 the fans were really into him. He recieved cheers going against Chris Benoit in Canada. A week later he spit in HHH's face and two weeks later he attacked Evolution with a sledge hammer. The fans were loving it. He was a face who acted like a heel.

Then inexplicably, they turned him into a prototypical babyface. He started slapping fans hands, he became less arrogant, and he started spinning during his pose and pumping his fist. The fans didn;t want this and they basically lost interest. They wanted a cocky arrogant face who knew he was better than everyone, heel or face.

SuckIt

Reaction score
^^ I noticed that and agree with you both, we all know how Austin was a no caring disrespectful S.O.B whod attack anyone he damn well liked, but he became one of, if not the most popular and loved WWE superstar in history.

I wouldn't mind seeing Orton face again but for me he's the best heel on RAW (who's currently a heel) so if he was face, I think they'd have to make HHH or HBK or someone a heel or there'll be nobody.

SuckIt

Reaction score
I also forgot JBL, he could be the top heel, but he shouldn't be alone.