Greatest Tag Team of the Last 30 years Round 1 Pt 2

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gentleman Jake

You Must Have Me Confused with Someone Far Less Awesome
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Yeah I can understand that but you gotta have a happy medium IMO there is a lot to be said for charisma and the entertainment aspect of Tag Wrestling. And if nothing else I am glad this has sparked some discussion between you and I and I am sure Fuji will pipe in at some point. I also just like looking through old tag teams and reminiscing and such. Now you can't possibly think the Colons were that bad of a tag team.

Reaction score
Well, without saying who won the other one, let's just say the winners were a team that was a big deal for their company, but they also had a ton of great matches. It's a matter of finding the Ric Flair option. That one guy who has a legacy, has a ton of kayfabe accomplishments, but also tore it up with a ton of 4 star matches on a regular basis.

The Colons weren't bad or anything, but they had one good series of matches (Vs Miz and Morrison), were together for only a year and rarely even was showcased on PPV. Look at what the Colons did:

No Mercy 2008 (Won the belts a few weeks before the show): Worked the dark match
Cyber Sunday 2008: Did not wrestle
Survivor Series 2008: Did not wrestle
Armageddon 2008: Did not wrestle
Royal Rumble 2009: Carlito was in the Rumble match, Primo did not wrestle
No Way Out 2009: Did not wrestle
Wrestlemania 25: Worked the dark match
Backlash 2009: Did not wrestle
Judgment Day 2009: Did not wrestle
Extreme Rules 2009: Did not wrestle
The Bash 2009: Worked the PPV where they lost their tag titles

There you go, over nine months as champions and they only teamed on PPV once...where they lost the belts. Meanwhile, look at what the Hollywood Blondes did with their five and a half month long reign:

Slamboree (May): Fought and defeated Dos Hombres
Clash of the Champions 23 (June): Fought and lost (DQ) to Four Horsemen
Beach Blast 93 (July): Fought and defeated The Four Horsemen
Clash of the Champions 24 (August): Fought and lost the belts to The Four Horsemen (Steven Regal subbed for an injured Brian Pillman)

So despite having nearly half as long of a reign as the Colons, but Hollywood Blondes had matches on high profile cards three more times than The Colons. And that's despite the fact that WCW didn't have a PPV or a Clash in March or April of 93.

So for picking teams through kayfabe accomplishments, I think you can make a case for the Hollywood Blondes far more than the Colons, even if the Colons were champions for longer.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
U convinced me I will add the blondes into a triple threat. I am always up for some convincing. At least u gotta give me some props for including the MVC

Reaction score
At least u gotta give me some props for including the MVC

Eh, I wouldn't have knocked you had you not included them. By the way you phrased the tournament, I figured it was US teams only. Their time together in the US was fairly short (A few months) and they're infinitely more well known for their killer AJPW matches.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
But they did have a reign in the states but I did use the Japanese days to factor in for rankings

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Could have gone with Williams & Rotundo instead I guess. I always did love the Varsity Squad.

Sabretooth

Reaction score
LAX - they were a phenomenal tag team. They put on great matches, the Outsiders matches were ok at best.

Miracle Violence Connection - they are two bad dudes who fucked shit up and won gold.

The Brain Busters - come on really? They're part of the most legendary stable in history. They knew how to do everything. Miz and Morrison were wannabe rock stars who poked fun at people.

World's Greatest Tag Team - the colons just did not interest me at all. These guys have a lot of talent and should have made it farther in WWE.

Hart Foundation - any two guys who can wear pink and still be cool and wrestle are ok with me.

Postman Dave

Reaction score
LAX - Honestly never considered Hall & Nash a full time tag team. Whereas LAX were the shit.

MVC - Haven't seen a lot of either, so go with the team I'm most familiar with.

Brainbusters - Poor Miz & Morrison, tough break first round. Which is why I'm gonna bring up a WWE tag tile reign of 113 days that's unaccounted for. #fuckinguptherankings #likeaboss

WGTT - I have a soft spot for The Colon's but WGTT actually mattered when they had the belts.

Hart Foundation - Again, going with who I'm most familiar with.

Wangman Page

Cowboy Shit
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
hulkhogan
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
boots2asses
LAX- as much as I loved Hall and Nash and the are you here to see eve or the nwo stuff. Konnan made lax.

Dr Death and. Terry Gordy- a team with Dr. Death will almost always beat any other team

Tully and Arn- 4 horseman. Wooooo

WGTT- overhyped and a little overrated but I will take them over the Colons any day. They are at least a tag team.

Hart Foundation- one of the quintisential teams of the 80's that made tag teams wrestling fun to watch.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

Cyrus Riddle

Reaction score
LAX

Miracle Violence Connection

Brainbusters

TWGTT

Hart Foundation

There really isn't much more that I can say regarding my choices that hasn't been said by Fuji or 1986

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
well I am going for the Outsiders cuz I am a Scott Hall mark til I die plus I find Hernandez to be awfully bland

MVC - because I did love Bad Company's reign in AWA but MVC where just untouchable for a long time

Tully & Arn are the definition of an awesome tag team, Charisma and In Ring Skills Miz & Morrison were entertaining as hell but can't touch the Horsemen.

TWGTT - were great then sucked then broke up...then came back great again....and I guess now kinda suck again... Colons were only really good and not for very long

Hart Foundation - I hate Bret Hart and never been a fan but he is the best of these four and Anvil is a severly underrated big man worker imo...Coundrey just didn't do anything for me at all

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Hernandez was awesome until he went off to AAA to "improve".

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I was never a fan tbh...and it's not an in ring thing...cuz I mean I love Hall & Nash...I find him blandy pants

Postman Dave

Reaction score
Oh I know I'm not gonna get you to vote against Hall & Nash :lol: just defending Supermex when he was good.

Gentleman Jake

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scotthall
Favorite Wrestler
kevinnash
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I am shocked the Outsiders are gonna be eliminated in the first round oh well but seeing who LAX has next I am pretty sure they won't be moving to round 3

Status
Not open for further replies.