GPWT Round 2: Ric Flair (1) -vs- The Rock (9)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Who is the Greatest Professional Wrestler of All Time?

• Ric Flair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Rock

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction score
I would call Backland, Steamboat, and even Hart a better promo guy than Rock because they did their own promo's.

Wow. Again, I am above insulting you, but back that up better than "they wrote their own promos". That might be the worst thing you've said thus far.

1chiban

Reaction score
A REALLY hard choice. Ric Flair was great in that he had the total package. He was a better worker than Rocky, but Rocky was THE MAN of my childhood and I would rather watch The Rock if I had a choice due to his charisma. Sorry Nature Boy.

Candido316

Reaction score
Wow. Again, I am above insulting you, but back that up better than "they wrote their own promos". That might be the worst thing you've said thus far.

Simple. I have more respect for someone doing their own thing than doing someone elses. One of the reasons I think Hogan is about the worst wrestler of all time. He wasnt Hulk Hogan, he was Superstar Billy Graham take 2. Even his phrases were exact rip offs.

I dont think Bret, or Bob delievered promos better than Rocky did. I believe they are better at promo's because they can do their own thing and adlib. In Foley's book, they were doing a scripted promo and Rocky accidently drops his sunglasses, HE FROZE because he didnt know what to do at that point because it wasnt scripted for him. If Rocky had ANY type of actual promo skills of his own, he wouldnt have froze and he wouldnt have needed Foley to pick him up and carry him to the end of the promo. Atleast Bret or Backland could have done SOMETHING to keep it going, and to me that has more value, and makes them BETTER as promo guys. The reason Rocky delievered better is not because he was better at promo's, it was because he had so much charisma and an ability to act he could pull it off from those skills.

When Goldberg would mess up a move due to his timing issues early on(that he admits and talks about in his own book) was he able to still pull off a bad suplex because of his in ring talent? No, he did it because he was physically strong enough to pull the man on over. That doesnt make him a great worker, it makes him a strong worker. Same goes in this case for Rocky.

Think I am full of it when I say Rocky doesnt do his own promo's, but it is talked about by several wrestlers in their books, they talk about it on a WWE DVD and show Rocky doing it, and there is other areas where there is proof of it.

I do not think I know it all for the simple fact, at my age I have forgotten more than most others know!

Candido316

Reaction score
ROFL, Rock didn't write his own promos? YEAH, OK, sure, enjoy living in your fantasy land of thinking you know everything about wrestling buddy.

Do not take your ignorance out on me. There is more than enough proof even fron Rock's own mouth. Instead of insulting someone, try actually finding the facts first.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
I dont think Bret, or Bob delievered promos better than Rocky did. I believe they are better at promo's because they can do their own thing and adlib. In Foley's book, they were doing a scripted promo and Rocky accidently drops his sunglasses, HE FROZE because he didnt know what to do at that point because it wasnt scripted for him. If Rocky had ANY type of actual promo skills of his own, he wouldnt have froze and he wouldnt have needed Foley to pick him up and carry him to the end of the promo. Atleast Bret or Backland could have done SOMETHING to keep it going

Pardon me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bret as GM completely blank on something and have to have Teddy whisper in his ear to make it seem like he was providing NEW information to sell off the epic flop of Bret Hart?

So umm, eliminate Brett from your entire argument now that I've been able to compare him to something Rock did that you demean Rock for.

Now, onto Bob Backlund... BACKLUND! You can't even spell his name right, therefore, he's eliminated from your argument's as well. He's clearly not important enough to be considered if you can't spell his name.

Candido316

Reaction score
Pardon me if I'm wrong, but didn't Bret as GM completely blank on something and have to have Teddy whisper in his ear to make it seem like he was providing NEW information to sell off the epic flop of Bret Hart?

So umm, eliminate Brett from your entire argument now that I've been able to compare him to something Rock did that you demean Rock for.

Now, onto Bob Backlund... BACKLUND! You can't even spell his name right, therefore, he's eliminated from your argument's as well. He's clearly not important enough to be considered if you can't spell his name.

Sorry, blame my keyboard. If guns kill, then it is my keyboards fault for mispelled words. And like you never spell something wrong, geez.

As for Hart, I give him a bit of space, after all he did get put out of this sport due to a concussion as well as suffering a stroke, which does hender the brain!

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Sorry, blame my keyboard. If guns kill, then it is my keyboards fault for mispelled words. And like you never spell something wrong, geez.

As for Hart, I give him a bit of space, after all he did get put out of this sport due to a concussion as well as suffering a stroke, which does hender the brain!
There's no way A and U can be considered a Typo. If you misspelled it by saying Bscklund, I'd be a little easier with you, but that's not the case.

By the way, if concussions are going to be a part of your excuse for Bret - Rock played D-Line/Linebacker in high school and college, chances are he banged his head quite a bit, and also had a few concussions in the WWF/E as well; so gimme a break with that one.

Candido316

Reaction score
Did I not specifically say that if you can blame guns for killing ppl I can blame my keyboard? Obviously I outright misspelled it, which also has nothing to do with what i said. Not knowing how to spell someones name has nothing to do with their importance, and you discounting it is as ignorant as me blaming the keyboard. Thanks for helping me prove that point. lol

Axis

Reaction score
Wait, is Jack Nicholson a bad actor because he doesn't write his own script?

Btw, I'm voting Flair.

Candido316

Reaction score
Wait, is Jack Nicholson a bad actor because he doesn't write his own script?

Btw, I'm voting Flair.

I guess for the fourth time I will have to restate what I said since people can not seem to read, or more correctly, understand what they read......

As I said, taking what someone ELSE wrote and using it yourself makes you a GOOD actor. Do we all understand this statement yet? Do I need to make it my signature or something?

Axis

Reaction score
Wrestlers are actors, so perfect.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
So Candido, you're suggesting that shooting promos and acting are two different things?

Will Ferrell is an improvisational actor, Jack Nicholson is a script-reader...

...does that mean Will Ferrell is a better actor than Jack Nicholson?

Hold up, I'll answer on your behalf:

"No, it means Will Ferrell is, in regards to what they do, an improvisational actor, meanwhile Jack Nicholson is a script-actor."

The Rock is a script-promo guy, and Bret Hart is an improvisational promo-guy. They're both the same art, just you, yourself, prefer the "reality" that tags along with being improv, and not scripted... however, the Rock was able to give and receive better with his scripted promos than a Bret Hart was with his improvisational promos. Stop being a nitpick searching for any and every little excuse to discredit anyone who debuted in the last 20 years compared to people who debuted 20+ years ago.

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
So Candido, you're suggesting that shooting promos and acting are two different things?

Will Ferrell is an improvisational actor, Jack Nicholson is a script-reader...

...does that mean Will Ferrell is a better actor than Jack Nicholson?

Hold up, I'll answer on your behalf:

"No, it means Will Ferrell is, in regards to what they do, an improvisational actor, meanwhile Jack Nicholson is a script-actor."

The Rock is a script-promo guy, and Bret Hart is an improvisational promo-guy. They're both the same art, just you, yourself, prefer the "reality" that tags along with being improv, and not scripted... however, the Rock was able to give and receive better with his scripted promos than a Bret Hart was with his improvisational promos. Stop being a nitpick searching for any and every little excuse to discredit anyone who debuted in the last 20 years compared to people who debuted 20+ years ago.
Exactly my point. It's truly completely irrelevant whether promos are scripted or not, what counts is the outcome.

Oh and btw, it's not like everything else in wrestling isn't scripted.... omg!

straight_edge76

Reaction score
Scripted or not. The Rock's promo ability and charisma are once in a lifetime. No need to knock him for doing what was asked of him.