GPWT Round 2: Ric Flair (1) -vs- The Rock (9)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Who is the Greatest Professional Wrestler of All Time?

• Ric Flair

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The Rock

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Veritas

Reaction score
Who is the Greatest Professional Wrestler of All Time?
Round 2

"Nature Boy" Ric Flair -vs- The Rock

View attachment 1009

Ric Flair

- 8x NWA World Heavyweight Champion
- 6x WCW World Heavyweight Champion
- 2x WWE World Heavyweight Champion​

Ric Flair ranked 1st in the IWF 50 Greatest Wrestling Superstars of All Time, amassing a very impressive score of 426/450.​

View attachment 1010 

The Rock

- 7x WWE World Heavyweight Champion
- 2x WCW World Heavyweight Champion
- 2000 WWE Royal Rumble Winner​

The Rock finished 9th in the IWF 50 Greatest Wrestling Superstars of All Time, scoring a 277/450.​

Reaction score
hands down Flair. from mainsteam level of the business Rock was only full time wrestler for 6 years while Flair was bascially 30+ and has heaps of 5 star matches and pby is the best wrestler ever of the 1970-2010 era..

Candido316

Reaction score
This isnt even close. Rocky doesnt deserve to be in this tourney, let alone agaisnt Flair.

Luke Flywalker

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
paige
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
machoman
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
wyattfamily
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Rock's career was far too short to compare to Flair... and the fact that Flair has drawn and been successful in every corner of the world, really does further establish the case for him over Rock.

In the ring, I think people lose sight of the Rock mocking guys like Flair, etc. for his entire tenure, basically toying with the fact that ANYONE can use these gimmicky ploys during their match and get a kick out of it, while also paying his respect to those same guys for creating what he would eventually ploy into his matches (most of which came from those he idolized). The Rock is no pushover in any regards in the ring or on the stick, this actually is a close decision, but not by the standards of 30 years of experience vs. 10.

I give it to Flair though, because of what he could do in and out of the ring, worldwide, decade after decade.

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
Rock for promo and probably charisma, Flair for anything else. Gonna go with Flair.

Candido316

Reaction score
Rock for promo.

You are so lost. ANYONE can "cut" a great promo IF IT IS WRITTEN FOR YOU FIRST AND YOU GOT HOURS TO PRACTICE IT!!! geez, when are you kids gonna learn?

They talked about it all over WWE DVD's, and even show Rock talking over the promo that PS Hayse wrote for him. Yeah, no offense, but if someoen writes it for you, no matter how well you deliver it, it does NOTHING for you as beinga better promo guy. A better rememberer, or a better actor to carry off what someone else wrote you as your own(the Charisma point is here actually) but NEVER a better promo guy, EVER.

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
You are so lost. ANYONE can "cut" a great promo IF IT IS WRITTEN FOR YOU FIRST AND YOU GOT HOURS TO PRACTICE IT!!! geez, when are you kids gonna learn?

They talked about it all over WWE DVD's, and even show Rock talking over the promo that PS Hayse wrote for him. Yeah, no offense, but if someoen writes it for you, no matter how well you deliver it, it does NOTHING for you as beinga better promo guy. A better rememberer, or a better actor to carry off what someone else wrote you as your own(the Charisma point is here actually) but NEVER a better promo guy, EVER.

In that case, everyone who uses, or used promos written by someone else is a terrible actor and promo guy.

And the list is probably long.

Candido316

Reaction score
Actually, i said those who did a good promo that someone else wrote is a good actor, not a bad one. And most people have done a promo taht someone else wrote, or set up, but in the case of Flair compared to the rock they are both in a 90/10% range. The differences, Rock was doing promos someone else wrote 90% of the time and Flair was doing his own promo 90% of the time. To compare them and say Rock is better is unfair if we are being honest.

Perhaps I am just more of a purist, and count a mans actual abilities to do forhimself as being 1000% more valuable than someone who can recite what someone else wrote for them. I would call Backland, Steamboat, and even Hart a better promo guy than Rock because they did their own promo's. All of those are far behind Rock in charisma, but it was rock's charisma that got his promos over, not is initial skill at cutting promos. make sense?

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
Actually, i said those who did a good promo that someone else wrote is a good actor, not a bad one.
My point was another. Rock used promos written by someone else? Well at least he was good at that. In comparison to his job, everyone else looks shit, and therefore it's not only a bad promo guy, something that according to your reasoning Rock is, but also a terrible actor, and Rock isn't. And I'm not so sure how many people could claim to have never used promos written by someone else.

And in all fairness, I look at the results. If Rock using someone else's stuff can pull off something better than another wrester with his own stuff, well maybe the other wrestler should get some help too.
And most people have done a promo taht someone else wrote, or set up, but in the case of Flair compared to the rock they are both in a 90/10% range. The differences, Rock was doing promos someone else wrote 90% of the time and Flair was doing his own promo 90% of the time. To compare them and say Rock is better is unfair if we are being honest.

Perhaps I am just more of a purist, and count a mans actual abilities to do forhimself as being 1000% more valuable than someone who can recite what someone else wrote for them. I would call Backland, Steamboat, and even Hart a better promo guy than Rock because they did their own promo's. All of those are far behind Rock in charisma, but it was rock's charisma that got his promos over, not is initial skill at cutting promos. make sense?

Honestly, I'm huge fan of Hart, but his promos were never anything special. See above why I'd still pick Rock.

Candido316

Reaction score
Ahhh, this is the 3rd time I had to say that being able to take someone elses work and use it as your own makes you a GOOD actor. Why can you all not read this?

A better rememberer, or a better actor to carry off what someone else wrote

Those are my original words and it clearly states I think he is a better actor!

Italian Outsider

Reaction score
Cool. And I enjoyed Rock's acting more than Flair doing his own promo, with all the respect for Flair off-course, he's still awesome and still gets my vote.

...god...

Reaction score
ROFL, Rock didn't write his own promos? YEAH, OK, sure, enjoy living in your fantasy land of thinking you know everything about wrestling buddy.