AMA General Promo Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I already tried last show... Clearly it didn't work.

Also THERE IS NO ANTI-BURGER LEAGUE!

• Haha
Reactions: WelshyBOI

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Also if anyone wants me to give feedback on match promos after they're posted, then just tag me here and give me a link or quote your promo. There are some interesting promos this show and a large amount of tag promos that present their own challenge. Even if anyone wants to give feedback on my stuff, here they are:

"Duality" by Cali Hayama: https://wrestlingsmarks.com/threads/marquise-bridges-v-cali-hayama.207504/#post-4477806

"A Sermon" by our favourite family and totally not a cult, The Residence: https://wrestlingsmarks.com/threads...cess-nova-and-slate-bass.207497/#post-4483765

WelshyBOI

Reaction score
Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysilio
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
christian
Favorite Wrestler
X2VL4FM
Favorite Wrestler
lita
Favorite Wrestler
sethrollins
Favorite Sports Team
53tBXAk
Also if anyone wants me to give feedback on match promos after they're posted, then just tag me here and give me a link or quote your promo. There are some interesting promos this show and a large amount of tag promos that present their own challenge. Even if anyone wants to give feedback on my stuff, here they are:

"Duality" by Cali Hayama: https://wrestlingsmarks.com/threads/marquise-bridges-v-cali-hayama.207504/#post-4477806

"A Sermon" by our favourite family and totally not a cult, The Residence: https://wrestlingsmarks.com/threads...cess-nova-and-slate-bass.207497/#post-4483765

If you could feedback the shit out of this, that'd be great! :D Be as critical as possible, please! Thank you!;):D

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD

If you could feedback the shit out of this, that'd be great! :D Be as critical as possible, please! Thank you!;):D

First, what I liked: You two have learned quite a bit about scene setting from your time in RWK/LDW, so that is a big plus. You also did a good job showing character and developing their personal narratives, like with Trixie having insecurities despite the win since she's so new to wrestling and she quips some good one-liners in there. I think the dynamic you two have with each other is really what took you guys over the edge against us in the tag turmoil and makes you guys endearing faces.

You also did address the match decently well which I find is something people sometimes forget for match promos when they are so focused on telling their individual story that they forget that aspect when you can probably be able to do both which you did, even saying a point how "Oh, they're pussies," and then saying WHY you think they are, jumping you in the doctor's office. As someone who has seen you guys over the years, you two have improved so much and I'm happy to see you guys kicking some ass again.

Things to keep in mind: Sometimes, while nobody's grammar is perfect (MY PROFESSORS TELL ME ALL THE TIME MY ERRORS LIKE HOLY SHIT! HOW DID I GET INTO LAW SCHOOL!?)

I think you can touch up a couple things. One thing is when you say "TV." You usually don't need to write it as T.V. or "T.V," but also you didn't keep it consistent between the two. Another thing is ellipses or three periods to indicate a pause. Usually they are limited to three periods and there is a space between the end of it and the next word. Otherwise it looks a bit messy. You can also mix it up by breaking it up by saying something like the person taking a breath, thinking a second about what they'll say next, just a general pause, sort of why there is a break in their speech. An example.

"I don't think I'm better than you... I KNOW I'm better than you!"

"I don't think I'm better than you," Bobby Hazard says before taking a brief pause and adding with emphasis, "I KNOW I'm better than you!"

Something small like that can add to the emotion of a promo or just generally make it a touch neater. It doesn't ruin the promo, but it did make me do a double take. So I think double checking that stuff can help and it is something everyone can work on, myself included.

Then the second thing I'll mention is I'm not 100% on what the norm is here around referencing directly other people's match promos if you posted after mainly because I tend to get my promos out of the way early here. Just because, and I think you remember this from Ryder fucking Parks in RWK, sometimes posting a promo last where you respond to someone's promo and basically spend the entire promo pointing out every little contradiction in someone else's promo it just becomes unfair. Someone can win despite having the personality of wet bread. Then in an extreme circumstance as we saw, it legit turns into everyone when facing them waiting until the last possible second to post a promo to avoid that happening. You did mention what they did by trying to "Go back to the Fundamentals" but didn't pull a Ryder Parks so that is not a major concern.

So if someone can clarify, that'd be nice!

So great scene setting, character work, and development while still focusing on the match, but don't forget to double check some grammar and stuff to help the flow.

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Would also appreciate some feedback

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
Reactions: Rosie

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD

Okay, here are my thoughts, @Grim Theft Auto :

First, one issue: You had the part for the post-Schinzo match taking place at "AMA Rush Hour, San Franciso, California" that match took place at Manifest Destiny in Daytona Beach, Florida. Could have been an error, but keep an eye on that. Now, more detailed stuff.

Lovedx10000: Something you have in spades is story telling and showing an internal conflict with Brian/Humanity especially and also you did well showcasing Yurei's personality how, despite her dark persona she is a normal person outside of it. You also did well in addressing the stuff around the character, Yurei's incoming debut, what the "Crimson Ghost" persona really is and Brian's title loss and the emotions surrounding it. If there is anyone who can tell an individual's story here, you are probably near the top, which is why I hope if I am able to work a storyline with you sometime I can aid said story while creating an overarching feud which is engaging. Since as we saw with Hangman Page's entire arc leading to the world title, there was the core of the story which was Hangman overcoming his personal issues, while having external feuds with his former friends, Matt Hardy, Team Taz, and more. I get those vibes with you, except less anxious cowboys and more split personality spooky shit.

Like: Scene setting! Yes, doesn't always need to be super long unless you have a detailed scene to set up, but you did a great amount to add to the scene without dragging stuff down. I also like the dynamic between the two before the match, showing their mentor/mentee friendship and you addressed your opponents which is always needed in a match promo.

Unsure: I say this because I have mentioned it before, but I am unsure if it helps, hurts, or is indifferent in the eyes of judges, but turning one promo into a collection of mini-ones always has mixed results for me. I feel as though there is always a risk of hurting the flow and unless they are connected well in some way, it feels more like posting separate and passing it off as one. Was there a connection with your's? Kind of. I see the story you told throughout the promos of the build-up to the show then those themes are addressed in the conversation between Brian and Yurei. But, I almost wonder what this promo could have been like if say one or two of the earlier sections were saved as character development promos posted in the section then that space they had was added to some of the other stuff and blended together in a way to tie things together?

Like the promo was split into five parts minus the opening narration which actually I like and maybe I will try that in a promo sometime.

Let's say the post PPV stuff with Brian and the stuff at the cafe which... TOTALLY MAKES ME THINK OF TIM HORTON'S! was two CD promos you posted elsewhere.

Then imagine if the final three were part of the match promo with some extra stuff added. You could have Brian in the building that night, having this internal crisis while Humanity talks to him and Yurie having an interview the morning of while this is going on.

Then they meet and you have them basically giving each other a mental head check, learning where their heads are and maybe then, with more room in the promo, there can be extra focus on the opponents, talk strategy, maybe mention things they have seen Liberty do as of late like her quick win, or some of the stuff she has said before which can rub your characters the wrong way or even adds to points you are making like "Liberty is a bint as is and all the talk in the world isn’t gonna do her any good. It's just going to motivate us more and it will blow up in her face again, like the time she said [blank] to [blanks] and they turned it around and she wore egg on her face."

That way you can still do all the wonderful development you have been doing but keep things organized and have a bit more room to address your opponents. Like what do they mean for Brian's push for redemption? What do they mean for Yurei's hopes to get a good start to her AMA career?

So, I'll say this to wrap it up: I can see why you were basically second in the AMA Grand title tournament. You do a lot of good stuff and I enjoyed reading through. I mean it, I felt bad for Brian and his frustration, I learned a bit about the debuting character. I think just to keep in mind is that Character development and match promos, while they can do both and I genuinely think that is doable and you are more than capable of doing it, they have their distinction for a reason in e-feds like this. That way you can develop both the character AND the match, just the focus is slightly more on one or the other depending on what you're doing. So, keep it up.

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl

Rarely ask for feedback myself - but the Princess' return has so great, going to put myself on the grill

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD

Rarely ask for feedback myself - but the Princess' return has so great, going to put myself on the grill

My night class is starting in 10 minutes, but after class I will look at them after my class and I'll try not to start drinking too fast since it is St Patrick's Day, this is my Friday and I got some Irish themed drinks!

CakeWalker

Fancy a slice?
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
TigerMask1
Favorite Wrestler
AZs1Z5p
Favorite Wrestler
E3RY3ej
Favorite Sports Team
2fIlV8l
Favorite Sports Team
Stewart52
Favorite Sports Team
Brad6
Favorite Sports Team
OH6F0Jl
No rush my dear.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
My class is delayed a half an hour, so I at least read through your High Command promo @Juice and e-feds need more comedy characters. I legit just read the voices of Archie and Marmaduke in high pitched British accents and I hope that was an intended purpose.

Okay, first, the characters have a weird charm which I like and while normally I believe using shoot terms in promos should be rare, the fourth-wall breaking stuff makes sense given the characters. I feel as though, given the characters, I don't need to go into emotional detail like Grim's since the characters seem to be master shit-posters rather than a hungry veteran who has been through hell and has a push to a title.

But I like the overall presentation and the dynamic of these two masked buffoons being scared of a literal human trashcan. I think there is a bit of potential in these characters as just a couple characters we can have a laugh at with some occasionally crude jokes win or lose. Which is sometimes missing in e-feds. Even when I was part of a tag team that had a bit of comedy, there was a but of drive and hunger for them when they had a big match or were pushed against a wall.

Things to keep in mind is, as always, address the opponents which you did, could have been more, but I feel as though your characters you can do it in silly ways too like them eating Burgers, or explain "proper meal etiquette" etc. Feel free to get creative, buddy.

Then as for the scene setting, your use of pictures did do some of the job for you, but if you ever feel like you can do extra it wouldn't hurt your promo, especially once you get into more creative promos.

So at least for the first promo I read, I think the characters seem fun and have some potential for some just stupidly fun promos in the future and their potential really comes down to how creative you can get to them. Though I guess this match, and no offense to your opponents, but don't need to try to hard to get a win in this match at least.

Edit: But wait... How did Archie drink tea with that mask? What a mess!