General Comic Book Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
DC Comics has been doing a series of "Tribute to the Movies" variant covers lately, I was looking through them and had to share a couple..

Batman #20 Variant.. (The Mask)
1405783_xl.jpg

and Justice League #40 variant for @GrammarNazi82 lol (Magic Mike)
1405844_xl.jpg

:lol1: I might have to get that one. ;)
The Harley Quinn / Jailhouse Rock cover was kind of cool, too. :)

Also, glad to see others are enjoying such great comics as Southern Bastards and Suiciders.
I'm excited for FCBD this upcoming Saturday. Besides seeing some artists friends and cosplayers and hanging out with them, my comic shop also has a big sale every year for FCBD, so I'm looking forward to it.

Spwn85

Jobber
Reaction score
Ha! That variant is hilarious but I would probably buy it as I like picking up variants.

I just received a few books today. I am working on completing a whole run of Spawn so been picking some things up here and there.

Reactions: GrammarNazi82

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
While out and about this weekend, I went by Books-a-Million and noticed they were having a "Buy 2, Get 1 Free" sale on their comics and manga. Was perusing their trade paperbacks as I often do and was very happy when I saw a copy of the special edition TPB of "The Crow." I finally get to read it!

Reactions: Just Kevin

xDistinctx

Jobber
Reaction score
I just got back from my comic shop and picked up a few key issues from Daredevil for a relatively cheap price. With the season 2 announcement, I like picking things up that have direct relation with "current events". Not looking to get rich off them or land anything big but always nice having a book that is in demand.

Just Kevin

All I can be is just Me!
Reaction score
Went to a church sale this morning and got a stack of about 125-150 comics for $5, mostly newer Marvel and DC stuff but at $3 - $4 cover price per book I'd say it was a steal.

Majour

Filthy Creep
Reaction score
Went to hunt down the last couple of issues of The Lady Killer and Bitch Planet- drew a blank, but the guys in the store recommended The Kitchen and Rat Queens. Pretty looking forward to reading both.

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
Hate you couldn't get the last couple of issues of those! If you don't mind, let me know what you think of Rat Queens. I haven't checked it out yet but am curious about it. "Red One" was also recommended to me by an artist friend who is into comics, and she loves comics with strong female characters or those primarily based on women, so thought I'd mention that one to you, also. It's only on issue 2 right now, so it'd be easy to catch up on if you want to check it out. I also really enjoy Brubaker's "Velvet," but it's been out longer and is an entirely different type of storyline than either Bitch Planet or Lady Killer as it's about a female spy, so not sure if you'd like it as much.

Majour

Filthy Creep
Reaction score
I'll be sure to let you know, they made it sound pretty fun. Haven't heard of Red One, but I'll check it out. Speaking of red, I should probably try and finish Red Sonja, started it ages ago but kind of forgot about it.

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
Most recently read Red One issues 1 and 2. Liking it pretty well so far, and I liked how the second issue picked up right where the first one left off. The line about, "What do you use for brains in Alabama?" made me smile. Now to wait almost a year for the next arc to come out -- sigh. Seems like it'll be a good series though, so I'll be eagerly awaiting its continuation next spring. I also started reading Birthright after getting volume one at my shop during their sale for Free Comic Book Day weekend. Haven't gotten too far in it yet since I can't really read it at work, but I'm liking the beginning of it so far.

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
Apparently I'm just going to make this work day a day to sit at my desk and read comics all day. :haha: Read Harrow County #1. It's a series I've been eagerly anticipating for some time, and this first issue didn't let me down. The art style is a bit different, and I really like it. I enjoyed Cullen's writing style and his storytelling ability, which ties in with me also liking the way the comic grabs your attention and pulls you into the story from the start. Reading his personal details at the end of the comic concerning trees was also pretty interesting, while being a bit reminiscent of Wytches. All in all a good read, and I look forward to checking out the rest of the series.

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

I love "Chew." And I'm a big fan of Skelton Crew Studios and have some of their "Chew" and "Locke and Key" items. So of course I'm thrilled about this. :yay: Been keeping an eye out for news of the Tony mini-bust release since they first announced they were doing it. Woot woot! Now to hope I can get one, lol

(Edited note: Apparently posting the link turned into a nifty preview thing -- ooooooohhhhh. Anyway, click it to check it out.)

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
@Majour, if you haven't already, you might want to check out Princeless. Was with a friend at the comic shop Friday night when she discovered it, sat down to read the first part of it and share it with me, then she bought the three trade paperbacks they had available, lol.

Majour

Filthy Creep
Reaction score
@Majour, if you haven't already, you might want to check out Princeless. Was with a friend at the comic shop Friday night when she discovered it, sat down to read the first part of it and share it with me, then she bought the three trade paperbacks they had available, lol.

Awesome, I'll give that a look over. Pretty annoyed at an online comic book store- I'm missing an issue of Bitch Planet and it won't let me order it and I can't find the latest two issues 'for free'

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
Awesome, I'll give that a look over. Pretty annoyed at an online comic book store- I'm missing an issue of Bitch Planet and it won't let me order it and I can't find the latest two issues 'for free'

Oh blech, that sucks. @Just Kevin, can you help her out?

GrammarNazi82

Lovable Kind of Filthy
Reaction score
So there's a shit-ton of #1 issues coming out tomorrow. Also, I subscribe to the Challengers Comics' weekly email. If anyone has some spare time and is interested, they posted this this past week to look ahead to August, which is pretty interesting:

We combed through the most recent Previews catalog to bring you a list of ALL of the new comic series and jumping-on points for August 2015. Ongoing, mini-series, one-shots, new creative teams, cast changes, "startling new directions"
To see them all, click here.

As for me lately with comics, I finished reading Birthright volume one, and have started Rat Queens volume one -- read the first issue/chapter of it and liking it so far.