Final Battle 2010

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Montana

Reaction score
I don't know how we didn't have a Final Battle 2010 thread. This has been the best built wrestling card, in probably the last decade in my opinion. Steen and Generico easily having the fued of the year. Davey Richards destiny of winning the ROH championship, and the Briscoes vs. Kings rivialary for tag team supremacy. With that being said, Did it live up to the hype???

That was the biggest question about this PPV to me. Could the show live up to expectations. In many peoples opinion, it did just that. I think it was a Great show, but i will have to see it again to properly rate. I loved the final two matches, but my expectations were out of the park.

All Night Express vs. Cole/Reily - I didn't see, i came over my buddies late, and GFL was setting up more servers.

TJP vs. Colt Cabana - it served it purpose here. Fun Match. 2.75

Kong/Haze vs. Del Ray/Serena - 3.00 Good finish. One of the better women's matches i've seen.

Sonjay Dutt vs. Eddie Edwards - I really liked this match. No one gives Sonjay any credit. He gets X pac heat. Either way, very solid match 3.5

Intermission - 2011 the year of WGTT! nice.

Daniels vs. Homicide - Were people really expecting a 5 star match out of these two? It lived up to my expectations, but the finish was a little weird. Thought Bennett could have done a little more. 2.75

Briscoes vs. Kings of Wrestling w/ hagadorn - Fun match up between two teams. I know the crowd was hating on Papa Briscoe, but i really liked the dimension this added to the fued. Thought this match could have used more of the briscoes/kings and a bit less of Papa/Shane. I didn't enjoy this as much as the 6 man with Kong and Del Ray though. 3.25.

Roddy vs. Davey - Greatness!! Started a little slow, great climax and finish. 4.5 ...could have been a little better if started off a little better. It was all Davey to start.

Steen vs. Generico - Awesome! I was really curious what others thought on this match. I had mixed feelings on it. On one hand it was a epic blow off match filled with emotions, and on the other hand it didn't feel perfect. I thought it was a little odd they didn't brawl right away. I was a little surprised we didn't see Generico give Steen like 10 chairs shots. Awesome finish to the match. I'd have to see this again, but i'll rate it at least 4.25.

Overall PPV Score 9.25/10.00

- Just some minor things that stood out to me that stopped this from being the perfect show. I hate to be critical cause these shows are all about fun, and ROH defiently delivers again!

As great as this PPV was.... I think i liked Death Before Dishonor 2010 a little more! Both incredible shows, EASILY the two best PPV's of the year in North American wrestling. Easily worth the purchase price and then some.

Hometown Kid

Reaction score
I probably would have tried to buy it if GFL didn't totally suck.

Saw it at someone else's though and Davey vs. Roddy was really good. Everybody knows I don't like Davey, but Roddy I think beat him down so bad he had to sell. That ending was weird though, and seeing Davey bleeding from the ears was scary for a second.

The brawl was hit or miss, but mostly hit. I couldn't believe the finish though, in a bad way. I know the way they played it out with Steen trying to hand him his old mask, but the turnbuckle brainbuster should be like Kobashi's Burning Hammer, nobody should kick out of it, and it would have been the perfect end to the feud anyway. Plus then he followed it up with...a chairshot? That's it? It's brutal, but still not as spectacular as the brainbuster. Hated that finish.

The undercard was pretty good, but ultimately just there to stall until the 2 MEs.

TJP/Colt: **1/2
Women's Tag: **1/2
Dutt/Edwards: **1/4
Daniels/Homicide: **3/4
KOW/Briscoes: ***1/4
Roddy/Davey: ****3/4
Generico/Steen: ****

sharkboy 3:16

Reaction score
I had no possible way of watching this which sucks. Sounds as though its a solid show and worth watching though, if anybody finds a good DL for this it would be much appreciated. Steen kicking out after the turnbuckle brainbuster is BS, the match will be good but knowing thats how it'll finish blows. Roddy Vs Davey will be awesome and the Briscoes/KOW should be good too. You guys really think Daniels/Homicide is that bad, you didn't give it an awful rating but I'd expect better out of those two. Sonjay being on the card makes me really wanna watch.

pumpt73

Reaction score
I can't wait to get his DVD. Just from what I've heard about the Strong vs Richards match. I've been reading that Davey actually dehydrated himself and had a concussion and took a beating from Strong. Also I can't wait to see the climax of the Steen vs Generico feud. Damn fans, if you really want to see how wrestling should be done, follow ROH. Sure you may not know too many guys, but they know how to build up an event and they know how to build and finish a feud. Lost artforms in these days.

Montana

Reaction score
YOU didn't see it?!?!?

To me it felt like a wrestlemania. (or what Wrestlemania should be) One of those shows i'd suggest watching live. Great PPV. I've really enjoyed all the Ippv's. ROH knows how to put on a PPV. This next one, looks like it wont be as big as Final Battle, but still worth ordering.

Already signed:

The Briscoe's vs. The WGTT

Roderick Strong vs. Homicide

The Kings of Wrestling vs. The ALl Night Express

Reaction score
The entire night was completely incredible. Such a well rounded card. Generico vs. Steen went beyond my expectations.

pumpt73

Reaction score
I read the breakdown TBW. Very nice. Makes me want to buy this event even more!!! I cannot wait until the DVD comes out. Hell Id buy it just for Strong vs. Richards and Steen vs. Generico.

TBW

Reaction score
Yeah dude, the two main events were worth the $15 price alone. It was quit a spectacle to see live, Roddy Strong will come into his own in 2011, as most people are considering him to be a transitional champion.. now is his time to shine and prove himself amongst to ranks of previous ROH World Champions. We will probably get Homicide vs Strong which to be would be a very odd match and I wouldn't really want to buy it on PPV.. we'll see how it plays out in the next few week but I hope Richards is still kept at that tip-top level of talent on the roster.

Montana

Reaction score
http://www.411mania.com/wrestling/c...nt-Access-12.18.10:-ROH-Final-Battle-2010.htm

Here's a great breakdown of the PPV, involving my own opinion in there. (Benjamin Waller)

I was satisfied with my buy and the quality of matches exceeded what I paid. I got more than I paid for.

Welcome to Impact wrestling. I've read some of your articles on 411 before.

I also like the direction they are goin with for Roddy as a fighting champ. I also liked the twist at the end of this weeks videowire where Roddy was demanding Jay to face him in Charlotte, and how Roddy would make him a star. Truth kinda stood back, and said your the champ, in a interesting tone.

Hopefully Homicide can have a breakout performance at the PPV. I thought Cide looked a little better at the PPV, despite not being 100%. Long story short, I think Homicide can still put on a good match, if need be. Although i do feel he would be better off in a major storyline/feud, that doesn't include the title.

monkeystyle

Reaction score
So I sat down to watch this last night. (Finally found a good download.)

Anyway, only watched the Generico/Steen match so far because I heard it was hot shit and well... Okay, let me start from the beginning.

Loved the way they really sold the match as being unsanctioned before it started with them shutting the lights off and everything else. I thought that really made for a nice touch. Sadly, it all went downhilll from here.

First off, selling? Never heard of it before and apparently neither have Steen or Generico. Hate that shit so much, especially in a match like this. In a "video game, car crash" style match it's one thing but this was supposed to be the blowoff of a blood feud and should be rooted a bit more in reality than other matches, imo.

The next thing that bothered me was just a single spot. It was the spot where Steen threw the ring barricade at Generico while he was slumped in the corner. This was really bush league. It's not because it was dangerous to Generico, the fact is that there were fans sitting in the front row who would have gotten smoked in the face if Steen had've fucked up. Now while he didn't, to me, going for a spot like that in front of the fans tells me that they really didn't take the consequences of what would happen if something fucked up into account and to me that really fucking bush league.

Also, could Kevin Steen possibly try any harder to make himself come off as disturbed? These things are supposed to appear as if they are happening organically, as a real extension of the wrestler's personality but with Kevin Steen you get him playing with his own blood, writing on Generico with his (Steen's) blood, bathing and drinking Generico's blood all for a cheap "You sick fuck" chant. Was not at all moved by this and it came off as extremely forced solely for that sake of that one cheap pop chant.

Did I mention the complete lack of selling?

The table and ladder spot was stupid too. Again, these kinds of things are fine in TNA style or TLC style matches but massively set up spots like that have no business being in what is supposed to be a serious grudge match.

Last, and most certainly not least were the unprotected chair shots to the head. I ask you, in what fucking world are unprotected chair shots to the head okay in today's wrestling knowing what we know now? This bothered me I think more than anything else they did. I wonder if some of these wrestlers understand that it's pretty normal to throw your hands up tp block the blow. I know for a fact that if someone swung a chair at my head and I couldn't get out of the way I'd throw my hands up to cushion the blow. Seems like a perfectly reasonable reaction to me. Instead though you get these two fucks doing their best neanderthal man wrestling imitation by hitting each other in the head with a chair. Just fucking stupid at this point in the game.

Now obviously this is just one man's opinion but I have to wonder how you regular RoH followers can not only justify a piece of shit match like this but heap praise on it as being a great match.

Montana

Reaction score
Interesting opinion. Most everyone knew going into it, it was going to be a car crash and not a wrestling match. It was your all out brawl, and yes at times you can question the selling of ROH wrestlers. They had to try and kill each other to live up to the hype. The key, or what was special about this matchup with the build up. You needed to ROH previously to really get into the feud. It would be like walking in to watch Taker/HBK without any back history. I also think the fans enjoyed a match where it was career vs. mask and you weren't really sure who was going to win. So the match itself wasn't all that incredible to me, it was EVERYTHING else they did storyline/promo/character development wise that made this special.

As far as remember spot by spot, i cannot; however i do remember the climax of Generico getting his revenge on steen with a chair shot to the head. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't do it. However that match was a big deal to each wrestler. ROH may seem just like an Indy, but hell the those two won feud of the year. It was an important climax. It's not like ROH wrestlers do that on a nightly basis. Look at ECW back in the day, or even Mick Foley taking dozens of headshots to the head.

Long story short its Classic good guy vs. bad guy. The fans were cheering and rooting for generico. They cared about Generico. I think ROH fans caring about their faces is something TNA cannot boost. WWE has Cena switch some fans care for. But at the roster as whole, who care who wins/losses and has a title.

Just my thoughts on that.