Favorite wrestling era?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

kingovkings

Reaction score
I Think 98-2003.the Attitude Era Was Just Pure Excitment Frm Start 2 Finish Everything About It Was Awsume Plus I Loved The Mon Nite WARS Good Times Indeedy :)

WWFATTITUDE1998

Reaction score
WWF:1997-2001
WWE:2002-2004
WCW:1995-1998

Overall, my favorite year is 1998. I agree, the attitude era was the best time ever for wrestling. Nothing was predictable. I really wish they would make a "best of the attitude era" dvd for WWE and WCW.

CenaMark54

The John Cena Era.

The storylines may not be great, but the wrestling has been as good as it has been in the last 20-30 years. The smarks should technically love this Era, yet they will all say the attitude era even though the wrestling was garbage.

FlamesofFury

Reaction score
The little place in the back of your mind that you
^^ incorrect my friend. I will also say the attitude era as well not because of the wrestling but because the storylines were fresh and they were great.

Good Matches in the Attitude Era:

All of the E&C, Dudleyz and Hardyz matches that involved Ladders.

Mankind and The Rock (RR 99' I quit)

Mankind vs The Undertaker (King of the Ring 98' Hell in a Cell)

HHH vs The Rock (Judgment Day 00' Ironman)

Kurt Angle vs Chris Jericho vs Chris Benoit (WM 16 Triple Threat Match)

There was good wrestling and the smarks do love this era and why don't we like this era, here's 2 reasons.

1) Same old storylines
2) Champions on Raw tend to have long title reigns.

Dairydude

Reaction score
I've always been a fan of the end of ECW, 2000 Onwards

aside from that, The attitude era of the WWF was awesome, and pretty much the time before the WWF became the WWE, it was great.

CenaMark54

^^ incorrect my friend. I will also say the attitude era as well not because of the wrestling but because the storylines were fresh and they were great.

Good Matches in the Attitude Era:

All of the E&C, Dudleyz and Hardyz matches that involved Ladders.

Mankind and The Rock (RR 99' I quit)

Mankind vs The Undertaker (King of the Ring 98' Hell in a Cell)

HHH vs The Rock (Judgment Day 00' Ironman)

Kurt Angle vs Chris Jericho vs Chris Benoit (WM 16 Triple Threat Match)

There was good wrestling and the smarks do love this era and why don't we like this era, here's 2 reasons.

1) Same old storylines
2) Champions on Raw tend to have long title reigns.

None of that changes the fact that the wrestling is 10 times better now than it was during the attitude era. Smarks usually prefer great wrestling to over-the-top storylines so it surprises me that they prefer the attitude era to the current one.

WWFATTITUDE1998

Reaction score
None of that changes the fact that the wrestling is 10 times better now than it was during the attitude era. Smarks usually prefer great wrestling to over-the-top storylines so it surprises me that they prefer the attitude era to the current one.

No offense, but judging by your user-name, it doesn't look like you know what good wrestling is.

Reaction score
No offense, but judging by your user-name, it doesn't look like you know what good wrestling is.

He does know what good wrestling is. He's one of the best debators on this entire forum. What, you don't think John Cena puts on good matches? Or are you just trying to be like every other new smark, jumping on the "hate Cena" bandwagon, because you think it makes you superior? Looks like it.

Anyway, my favorite eras are 90's AJPW, and NJPW, and the Attitude Era.

Trips V.2

Reaction score
^^Ooooooooooo.. burn.

FftG makes a great point. John Cena does put on great matches. It's just pretty ridiculous that he wins most of them. Don't hate on Cena because of his wrestling ability, the guy works his ass off and is the champion for a reason. If you want to hate on him use a legitimate reason, like his current title reign, which is way too long.

CenaMark makes an excellent point, too. In the attitude era the wrestling actually wasn't that great. The wrestling in WWE now is much more psychological and interesting.

I think the main reason most of us pay so much favor to the attitude era is because it's what most of us grew up on. It's what made us wrestling fans to begin with. So naturally it's going to be the best to us.

Reaction score
^^Ooooooooooo.. burn.

FftG makes a great point. John Cena does put on great matches. It's just pretty ridiculous that he wins most of them. Don't hate on Cena because of his wrestling ability, the guy works his ass off and is the champion for a reason. If you want to hate on him use a legitimate reason, like his current title reign, which is way too long.

CenaMark makes an excellent point, too. In the attitude era the wrestling actually wasn't that great. The wrestling in WWE now is much more psychological and interesting.

I think the main reason most of us pay so much favor to the attitude era is because it's what most of us grew up on. It's what made us wrestling fans to begin with. So naturally it's going to be the best to us.

Exactly. Of course Cena has his faults, the title reign is too long, and he's often made to look like superman, but that doesn't bother me. I used to be a "Cena hater" until I checked out a lot of his matches on PPV and a lot of them are actually quite good.

And yeah, I grew up on the Attitude era so I do love it lol. I can still it being the shit in elementary school, it was the best.

WWFATTITUDE1998

Reaction score
How can you say he has good matches? I hate him because it's the same thing EVERY WEEK. Right after a PPV he makes some speech about how it was the hardest fight of his life, the champ is here, etc. Week 2: the no. 1 contender is announced and does their special move to him. Week 3: Cena gets serious. Week 4: See week 3. PPV: Cena wins.

And his matches SUCK. They consist of him getting his ass beat the WHOLE MATCH, and then he comes out of nowhere and does these moves in order. 2 Flying shoulder blocks, Boston Blockbuster, five knuckle shuffle, FU, sometimes STFU. IT GETS OLD. He's only had one WATCHABLE match this year and that's against Lashley. I'll never like Cena again probably. I like him in 2003 and that's it.

See, I have my reasons...

Reaction score
How can you say he has good matches? I hate him because it's the same thing EVERY WEEK. Right after a PPV he makes some speech about how it was the hardest fight of his life, the champ is here, etc. Week 2: the no. 1 contender is announced and does their special move to him. Week 3: Cena gets serious. Week 4: See week 3. PPV: Cena wins.

And his matches SUCK. They consist of him getting his ass beat the WHOLE MATCH, and then he comes out of nowhere and does these moves in order. 2 Flying shoulder blocks, Boston Blockbuster, five knuckle shuffle, FU, sometimes STFU. IT GETS OLD. He's only had one WATCHABLE match this year and that's against Lashley. I'll never like Cena again probably. I like him in 2003 and that's it.

His matches with HBK, Umaga, and Orton this past sunday are examples of GOOD matches. In fact his match with HBK on Raw this year is a MOTYC. I used to hate Cena to, and I still don't particulary like him, but I've learned he does deliver most of the time in match quality.

Oh and calling me out as a WWE mark isn't going to work. Indys/Puro are my favorite wrestling out there, so I'm not some 10 year old with Cena posters in my room just so you know.

Trips V.2

Reaction score

Let's go through the list.
1) He comes out and says it was the hardest fight of his life because he's trying to sell the story. That's what any champion with mic time after a PPV does, he talks about the match... moving on.
2)Orton got announced the night after Cena beat Lashley, so that point is nixed unless you're just talking about Lashley winning the timed matches... which happened ONE TIME not EVERY WEEK.
3) Of course Cena is going to get serious... that's how John's character works. Same thing with Hogan in the 80's.
4) Cena's not ALWAYS going to win... he'll drop it eventually. But this is perfect Vince McMahon. When he pushed Hogan to win all the time it was because people wanted Hogan to win. Cena is winning all the time because Vince knows that nowadays he makes profit from both smarks and marks and he screws with every single smark every time Cena wins.

AKA the more he wins the more you want to see him lose. And when he does, whoever beats him will look like gold.

and last but not least... stop with the hating of his matches.

Yeah yeah yeah... we've heard the old point "He uses the same moves."
SO DOES EVERYONE ELSE!
Since when does a wrestler not have signature moves that he utilizes to help him build momentum?? If you wanna harp on about that why don't we give Bret Hart shit for using the same series of moves when he bulids toward a win? or Hogan for that matter. Let's see:

Cena:Gets ass beat, 2 Flying shoulder blocks, Boston Blockbuster, five knuckle shuffle, FU, sometimes STFU
Hogan: Gets ass beat, hulks up, points, 2 punches, irish whip into big boot, claps hands/asks for applause, LEG DROP... WIN!!!!!!!

NO WAY!!!

Point made.