Fantasy Basketball

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Nets most likely. I can see them signing him since he has a strong relationship with Jay-Z, is in a good part of their franchise's record books, is a name guy, and has said he wants them to be the ones to retire his jersey.

* Also see them going for David West and AK47

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Of course there was a lot of ifs in the game but one thing that wasn't a if and a fact is that a half decent free throw shooter shouldn't be shooting a shot with 3 guys on them up by 2 with the clock and the shot clock going hand in hand. I know you think Kobe is basketball Jesus Christ and all but even he makes dumb ass plays whether they work or not.
Forgot to add that Fisher did the same thing versus Portland with a 1 second difference, up 2, where they knew they had to foul. He went and took a shot from above the free throw line with two guys in the area, hit it, did his equivalent to the underbite which is the back pedal and smile, while leaving time on the clock the game before. And just like Kobe, Derek, KLOSED Portland. They are risky shots but hey when you have klosed more games than anyone in the league and have the hardware to say you do it better and swag to feel you won't miss, do it as long as you live with the consequences :p

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Thanks, I try to mix it up between that and a prick :tardsmile:

-----

SAL

Reaction score
I'm guessing P1's the guy red repping you into oblivion? :lol: We're gonna have to send him to the principal's office.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Yeah, I have a page of them from P1, but oh well.

-----

Back to that play. On a serious note, I looked at it again on DVR without all the adrenaline and excitement of live game time.

If you look at the play solely from time and game clock, then it's a stupid, dumb ass play. If the clock is running out and the team has to foul you, then you hold the ball and let 'em foul you. Yet, the play wasn't that straightforward.

Kobe got down the floor soon while his teammates didn't and you can visibly see him waiving at Ron and Pau to not just trot up the court. He had two guys in Nash and Dudley shadowing him from the right side and the sideline on the left side. If he stops at that point, he's trapped by 3 guys since the sideline acts as the third guy, very much similar to Nash getting trapped by Lamar and Luke in game 4 of 2006 where he assumed they would foul but tied him up for a jump ball after he gave up his dribble.

So, instead of slowing down, he kicked it into a higher gear to leave the 2 defenders in their tracks, which he did. By the time he made it to the free throw line, Nash and Dudley were both lost off his trail.

At that point, no one's fouling him, he sees the bucket wide open, with only Frye standing in no man's land between inside the FT line and charge circle, so he jumped straight up, gathered, and attacked with a controlled floater that he has hit many times in his career and even earlier twice in the very 3rd quarter of that game. Frye was able to get back, but Kobe still has what is an easy layup and two since the scouting report, synergy, and game tape all say Frye isn't going to bother jumping to block a shot. It was not Gortat challenging him, in fact it was the fact that Gortat, the lone shot blocker was under the goal after hustling back that made Kobe decide to stop, pull up, and hit the floater.

You can certainly fault him for not stopping at an earlier point and making the cross court pass to Ron, because, given the direction he was going, speed, & momentum his only viable skip pass at all to avoid a trap and possible turnover early on when he stops is right there, unless if he purely stops on a dime before getting to Frye and Frye fouls later. But, he was already pretty much committed the moment he turned the corner and saw the paint wide open.

The play was awkward, foolish, ballsy, risky, dumb, and every other adjective you can use to describe it, BUT he made the best of it by getting a shot that is as easy a lay in for him and knowing the spacing of the floor and who he was attacking. On paper and ideally in a theoretical situation, not a good play, hell it was a horrible play. But, they don't play the game on paper, and that was seen by the end result.

SAL

Reaction score
Back to that play. On a serious note, I looked at it again on DVR without all the adrenaline and excitement of live game time.

If you look at the play solely from time and game clock, then it's a stupid, dumb ass play. If the clock is running out and the team has to foul you, then you hold the ball and let 'em foul you. Yet, the play wasn't that straightforward.

Kobe got down the floor soon while his teammates didn't and you can visibly see him waiving at Ron and Pau to not just trot up the court. He had two guys in Nash and Dudley shadowing him from the right side and the sideline on the left side. If he stops at that point, he's trapped by 3 guys since the sideline acts as the third guy, very much similar to Nash getting trapped by Lamar and Luke in game 4 of 2006.

So, instead of slowing down, he kicked it into a higher gear to leave the 2 defenders in their tracks, which he did. By the time he made it to the free throw line, since Nash and Dudley were both lost off his trail.

At that point, no one's fouling him, he sees the bucket wide open, with only Frye standing in no man's land between inside the FT line and charge circle, so he jumped straight up, gathered, and attacked with a controlled floater that he has hit many times in his career and even earlier twice in the very 3rd quarter of that game. Frye was able to get back, but Kobe still has what is an easy layup and two since the scouting report, synergy, and game tape all say Frye isn't going to bother jumping to block a shot. It was not Gortat challenging him, in fact it was the fact that Gortat, the lone shot blocker was under the goal after hustling back that made Kobe decide to stop, pull up, and hit the floater.

You can certainly fault him for not stopping at that point and making the cross court pass to Ron, because, given the direction he was going, speed, & momentum his only viable skip pass at all is right there unless if he purely stops on a dime. But, he was already pretty much committed the moment he turned the corner and saw the paint wide open.

The play was awkward, foolish, ballsy, risky, dumb, and every other adjective you can use to describe it, BUT he made the best of it by getting a shot that is as easy a lay in for him and knowing the spacing of the floor and who he was attacking. On paper and ideally in a theoretical situation, not a good play, hell it was a horrible play. But, they don't play the game on paper, and that was seen by the end result.

Great stuff. We should start a Lakers/Celtics blog where you post smart things like this and I make dick and rape jokes.

Since you've second guessed it, I will too, and I'll try to get all statistical and everything. What stumped me was that Kobe took the shot with 14 seconds left on the shot clock, but after some more thinking I don't know that it was that terrible and here's why. Of course the Lakers should run the clock out. But the Suns can put a stop to that with a foul. If Kobe pulls it back, they were doubtlessly going to foul him. And they had one to give, so the Lakers would have to get the ball inbounds without turning it over, and would very quickly get fouled again. I'm guessing if he pulls back, he gets fouled with around 12 seconds, and maybe the inbounds pass if successful takes 2 more off the clock. So it's really only a 4 second difference. Phoenix has enough time to set up a play in either case.

Then we have to look at the shot %. You say it was a gimme. I'd estimate that drops there maybe 80% of the time. Maybe that's generous, but let's go with it. An 80% chance that the Lakers go up 4 with 14 seconds left. A 20% chance they're only up 2 and the Suns have the ball. I don't think there was anybody in position for the offensive rebound, so I'll assume that would have been Gortat's or Frye's. Not looking at the replay right now.

The other option is to shave a few seconds off the clock and shoot free throws. Kobe shoots 83% from the foul line. Odds of hitting both? 68%. Odds of missing both? 3% One out of two? About 29%. Remember that the Lakers would have to get the ball in bounds. I can't be bothered to factor that into the math here.

So let's break down the possibilities (yes I'm putting off classwork and I enjoy this, shutup):

KOBE SHOOTS

80% chance Suns are down 4 with 14 seconds left.
20% chance Suns are down 2 with 14 seconds left.

KOBE PULLS BACK

68% chance Suns are down 4 with 10 seconds left.
29% chance Suns are down 3 with 10 seconds left.
3% chance Suns are down 2 with 10 seconds left.

Which of those two do you prefer? It's not as clear as it seemed now, is it?

[/thelasttimeieversayanythingniceaboutkobe]

SAL

Reaction score
Of course, if it's 60%, the figure changes big time. He's 66% for the year at the rim, and the shot was contested. If you change it to 66%, it's a pretty clear don't-shoot.

I thought we had post merge?

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Doesn't seem to work in this forum

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Since it's the place we basically talk NBA, I don't know what to make out of this Sprano shit from Hunter and Stern.

Stern:
Stern then announced he knows where "the bodies are buried" in the NBA, according to witnesses.
Hunter
“I don’t know where you were raised, but I lived with rats," said Hunter to Stern. "I used to kill rats. We had a .22 rifle and we would lay in the kitchen and shoot them on the floor. One thing my grandmother taught me was that if you got a rat trapped, you’ve got to give his ass a way out, because he will fight you if he has to. “If you don’t give us a way out, a chance for a compromise, you’re going to get a fight.”

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
What the fuck is that all about? I'm lost.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
CBA talks. Stern threatened the players during all star break reportedly (some say owners too) if they didn't get a deal done.

Hunter responded to Stern's threat with that stuff.

What I did find funny is that the one thing Stern didn't want changed was his standing financially or how refs are reviewed as well according to some radio interviews I've heard. He is the highest paid commissioner in sports according to Max Kellerman as well and as far as the refs go, no team has any knowledge of there actual reviews at the end of the year, just Stern and the league office

Phenomenal1

Reaction score
I'm pretty shocked that I'm down on chico 4-10. Was expecting it to be 1-13 or even 0-14 especially since I forgot to set my lineups for Monday and Tuesday.

shutupchico

Reaction score
suns should've fouled right away on that play, i thought nash fouled kobe before the shot though. yea p1, close matchup. u got robbed having to play me 2 weeks in a row.

Phenomenal1

Reaction score
Its all good. I haven't expected to go further than the first round since January.