• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

xFrenchKissx

Reaction score
I felt this deserving of its own thread.

If there had been no Edge and Christian, no Hardy Boyz, do you think that any of these guys would have had the success that they have in their careers now?

Great One

Yes, the reason those names prospered and were elevated had really nothing to do with the stable/tag team. It would have happened anyway, it was because they were so talented or charismatic that it had to happen. The Hardy's on the other hand, simply did COOL MOVES, which is how they got over. Makes perfect sense. We remember E&C because the characters and gimmicks they did were so AWESOME.
Like how I just changed one word? Damn, I'm good.

MizMasta3000

It depends. Wrestling gave us a lot of its biggest stars in teams/stables first

JBL - APA/Acolytes

Bret Hart - Hart Foundation first

Scott Steiner - Steiner Bros first

The Rock - Nation of Domination

Shawn Michaels - The Rockers

HHH - People argue that without DX HHH would not have been a main eventer

Randy Orton - Evolution

Batista - Evolution

I could name plenty more

Great One

Stable =/= tag team. A stables main job is to get one or a group of people over. See: Rock and Batista. However, Rock was talented enough to get over on his on. Batista.. was not.

maty619

Reaction score
I don't think so, they are incredibly talented all four of them but those two tag teams were what got them into the spotlight, if those teams didn't compete against each other in the late 90s early 00s then I don't think Jeff atleast, would ever be champ because was it not his feud with Edge that got him the title? (genuine question I honestly don't know (I wasn't watching wrestling at that time) I just know Jeff lost the title to Edge).

noumenon

I don't think the tag team is the make or break factor, it just helps the brighter of the two stars stand out even more when paired with someone. That simple.

MizMasta3000

The Rock needed the extra heat from feuding with Farooq for people to start caring. No one cared about Batista/D-Von, he needed the help of HHH turning on him to get jump started as well as Orton

noumenon

Believe me, Rock would have gotten over...Farooq or not. If you think any differently you're crazy.

xFrenchKissx

Reaction score
Like how I just changed one word? Damn, I'm good.

So you're of the opinion that despite being two of the most successful tag teams ever, that all of them would be sitting pretty much where they are right now regardless?

Does that mean that their popularity as tag teams is irrelevant to their success?

It depends. Wrestling gave us a lot of its biggest stars in teams/stables first

JBL - APA/Acolytes

Bret Hart - Hart Foundation first

Scott Steiner - Steiner Bros first

The Rock - Nation of Domination

Shawn Michaels - The Rockers

HHH - People argue that without DX HHH would not have been a main eventer

Randy Orton - Evolution

Batista - Evolution

I could name plenty more

I don't believe JBL started out in either the APA or the Acolytes, was it the Black Jacks or something?

Bret, I'm not sure. The Hart Foundation was already established when I started watching so I'm not going to look back and try to act like I know something I don't.

Steiner's popularity can be brought into question. He never really did anything that overshadowed what he did with Rick, despite being in the NWO.

The Rock didn't start off in any stable/tag team. In fact I think the he only became part of a credible tag team AFTER he was pretty popular. He never tagged with the Nation, that I recall.

Michaels I can't claim to know either.

Orton and Batista and Evolution.... Did being part of that stable actually do anything for either of them?

noumenon

Did Evolution do anything for Orton or Batista? I hope that's rhetorical.

maty619

Reaction score
So you're of the opinion that despite being two of the most successful tag teams ever, that all of them would be sitting pretty much where they are right now regardless?

Does that mean that their popularity as tag teams is irrelevant to their success?

I don't believe JBL started out in either the APA or the Acolytes, was it the Black Jacks or something?

Bret, I'm not sure. The Hart Foundation was already established when I started watching so I'm not going to look back and try to act like I know something I don't.

Steiner's popularity can be brought into question. He never really did anything that overshadowed what he did with Rick, despite being in the NWO.

The Rock didn't start off in any stable/tag team. In fact I think the he only became part of a credible tag team AFTER he was pretty popular. He never tagged with the Nation, that I recall.

Michaels I can't claim to know either.

Orton and Batista and Evolution.... Did being part of that stable actually do anything for either of them?

Definately apparantly Evolution was just made to get Randy over, see Batista; I walk alone (I might have over exagerated a bit with saying that was the only point to it but you get my jist. Batista would certainly not be where he is today without his match with HHH at WM.

MizMasta3000

The Rock was no where near the level of popularity Austin was in the time of Austin 3:16 promo. For ever The Rock, there needed to be a Farooq to get them there

xFrenchKissx

Reaction score
Definately apparantly Evolution was just made to get Randy over, see Batista; I walk alone (I might have over exagerated a bit with saying that was the only point to it but you get my jist. Batista would certainly not be where he is today without his match with HHH at WM.

Weren't we just talking in another thread about how Evolution did nothing to get Orton over?

The Rock was no where near the level of popularity Austin was in the time of Austin 3:16 promo. For ever The Rock, there needed to be a Farooq to get them there

You don't think so?

I think it was good timing that the Nation was there to boost Rocks career a little faster, but I doubt that they were essential to it.

straight_edge76

The Rock would have gotten over regardless imo.

In the case of Edge/Hardy I don't think that they would be the stars that they are without the Tag Teams and the EPIC TLC matches; which are still the Hardy's claim to fame. Edge before E&C was just another Dark gothic esque character from the Attitude era. It took the gimmick change to imo really get him over past the oh's and ah's of him walking through the crowd and the strobe effects of his entrance back in the late 90's. If I am not mistaken Edge really wasn't given any sort of real program until Christan "alligned" himself with Gangrel.

maty619

Reaction score
Weren't we just talking in another thread about how Evolution did nothing to get Orton over?

You don't think so?

I think it was good timing that the Nation was there to boost Rocks career a little faster, but I doubt that they were essential to it.

Were we? It definately did more for Batista though, it was basically the heart of what his face run was.