• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Kylie

Reaction score
Oh my god, I am gutted right now. What a horrible way to have to end your career. :( But best he go out on top with a win on WWE's biggest stage than to further endanger his life.

Kairi

Reaction score
i was/and am still sad by this but i'm glad he's not going out shattered. he did some awesome things and will be remembered for them.

Black Sanchez

Reaction score
Words cannot describe how saddened I am about this news. I've been a fan of his ever since I first started watching in early '99 and his his heel run in the past decade was one of the best. He will be missed, but man I would love to see him reappear within the next few years.

AF.

Reaction score
It's a shame how much shit he got from the IWC towards the end of his career, when you consider all the injuries, the fact that he was working like 5 matches a week, he was doing an awesome job as SmackDown's top face and put on great matches consistently recently.

OMR

Reaction score
sad that he has to retire and didn't really get to choose when he was to retire, but i think going out with a win at wrestlemania and as world champ has to make the situation a tiny bit better. he finished on top.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Pretty much echo everyone elses thoughts. The thing that stands out for me is that on RAW during the promo or one of the commentators mentioned that he was the most decorated guy in WWE history, that's quite an achievement to look back on now that he has to hang them up.

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
$20 says Orton moves to SD post-draft

Sad to see another one of my favourites retire, but at least Edge is smart and preserving his future.

Would bet good money on Orton moving to SD as well.

Well he had a good run, better to call it quits now instead of becoming a stubborn idiot like Angle or worse, die. Whenever he's inducted into the HOF, he'll thoroughly deserve it. He was one of favorites for a while before the Vickie Guerrero angle, but still, he was an incredibly talented wrestler.

SAL

Reaction score
I'd really rather keep Orton on Raw and keep Smackdown as the place where they build new stars. If they want bigger names, fine, get the established midcard guys over there. Give ADR the belt and let a bunch of young guys go after him. How much would Orton (or really anybody other than Cena/HHH) add to the Smackdown rating anyway? Wrestling junkies will watch, casuals won't. Let's get this youth movement a-going.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Just aload of tweets and information I bunched all together

- Several WWE Superstars, Divas and former stars have took to Twitter and commented on Edge retiring. Here are some comments:

Yoshi Tatsu: "I can't believe it. I'm very sad. But thank you very much Edge."

Eve Torres: "An emotional night for sure. #ThankYouEdge. One of the most creative, hard working, passionate, & helpful men in the WWE. We'll miss you!"

Gail Kim: "Thank u Edge for everything u have given to the business and ur friendship. We r sad 2 c u go but grateful 4 ur health.also can't wait 2 c christian induct u to the HOF."

Wade Barrett: "I have a tremendous amount of respect for Edge. A great career and a great human being."

Howard Finkel: "Thank you Edge for everything that you gave and meant to this industry, and personally speaking, thank you for your friendship!"

Mick Foley: "A sad day for wrestling, but what an amazing career for Edge. I was so fortunate to have been his opponent, his partner, his friend."

Joey Styles: "In wrestling you make many acquaintances and few friends. Edge is a friend. My friend, seeing you was always a pleasure and never a chore."

Michelle McCool: "Didn't catch raw but heard about most important part. I love you Edger! Thank you all you've given to a biz I have always loved! Mad respect goes out to all you've done not only for your fans, but for us as well. I am so blessed to call u a friend! Thx for always helping me! Ily."

Kelly Kelly: "Thank you Adam for everything.. you've been such a great friend your an amazing person, n inspiration and I had the honor of working with u!"

Jim Ross: "Edge will always be one of my favorites. I'm so grateful I was in a role to help him launch his wwe dream. Dreams do come true. Edge=HOF!"

Vickie Guerrero: "I'm so sad to see Edge leave...I'm honored I got to learn so much from him. He will be missed."

Matt Hardy: "Heard Adam is retiring because of physical issues that won't allow him to safely continue wrestling. He'll be missed, we've certainly had our fair share of issues.. Both good and bad. But I tip my hat to Edge who is one of the greatest I've ever been in the ring with. Adam resides in NC now-sure I'll run into him down the road. Glad that him & I are in a good place. We came in as friends, & went out that way."

Kevin Nash: "the loss of Edge is a sad day 4 the WWE great in ring,but such a special guy out,he still has years left to give."

Natalya: "My thoughts are with Edge, and thank you so much for the wonderful memories. You're a real, true friend and ill never forget it"

Christian: "I've shed my tears..And from here on out I choose 2celebrate 1 of the greatest careers in WWE history..Cant wait2 induct u in the HOF #Edge"

Hulk Hogan: "if any of the guys like me, Flair, Hardy, Andre, AA, Blanchard, orndoff, Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit15yrsago, but I don't know Edges working environment because they are a media company not a wrestling company. HH wrestlers work hurt!"

"What about Foley! I bet EDGE still wants to keep wrestling,he's one of the boys big time!!! HH"

"my take is with a unfixable neck injury it's over ,but he's one of the boys and it will be hard to keep him down,he's 4life HH"

After receiving criticism for his remarks, Hogan clarified his opinion.

"I'm not saying anything bad about Edge but he's a real wrestler,Stone Cold and Cena had neck surgery and u couldn't stop em,Or Edge it's in Edges blood,he lives for this business he's a real wrestler,he a lifer,he's one of the real boys,he's hard to hold down,that's all. HH"

Eric Bischoff: "Best of luck to Edge. Class guy and a great talent. He will find success in anything he pursues."

Taz: "Edge, 1 of the GREAT guys in the biz. Awesone talent & awesome guy! I live the numbness in arms due to neck issues also, scary.Be well bro."

Eve Torres: "An emotional night for sure. #ThankYouEdge. One of the most creative, hard working, passionate, & helpful men in the WWE. We'll miss you!"

Melina, in response to the reaction backstage: "everyone was sad. I know I'm being selfish for Wanting my Fav wrestlers to stay but I'm happy for them 4 leaving on their terms. Leaving such a great mark that we were able to witness.

It is an honor to know him. He has done so much. He has been there for many young talent. I wish him great happiness and well being. But I will keep hoping he'll be back."

Bret Hart: "I remember training w/both Edge & Christian in a ring @ my house back in '97 & he'll always be one of my guys. Such an abrupt end to a great career saddens the entire wrestling world. Cheers to the rated-R Superstar."

Shawn Michaels: "Have had contact w/Edge & he is looking 4ward 2what the future holds. It will b great, good things happen 2 good people & he is just that."

Chris Jericho: "Edge is a great performer and 1 of my favorite opponents. He's also got an incredible MIND for the business. Congrats on an amazing career"

Kurt Angle: "It's sad to see my friend Edge Retire from WWE. Edge was one of the Best. Your Fans will miss You dearly. I know I will. Luv u Edge!!!!
- As noted before, Edge will be at tonight's WWE SmackDown tapings from the Times Union Center in Albany, NY to hand over the World Heavyweight Title since he's retiring.

Reader Belinda sent word that Edge will be vacating the title in the same building he won his first WWE Title at back in 2006 at WWE's New Years Revolution pay-per-view when he cashed in Money in the Bank after John Cena won the Elimination Chamber. The arena was known as The Pepsi Arena back then.
<iframe title="YouTube video player" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/R9MsJ-rzs8I" allowfullscreen="" frameborder="0" height="390" width="640"></iframe>

- As noted before, Edge has legitimately retired from WWE due to issues with his neck that haven't been improving. Edge had been talking about retiring in two years but told someone as recent as a few weeks ago that he felt like he had five more years left.

It's said that Edge has some writing projects that he will be working on and that he knows what he wants to do with his life and those plans don't have much to do with wrestling. The feeling is that Edge will always stay affiliated with WWE but won't be someone you see working full time behind-the-scenes as an agent or something.

Regarding Edge and the World Heavyweight Title, there was some confusion at RAW last night as to why WWE didn't put Alberto Del Rio over at WrestleMania 27 if they knew there was even a small chance that Edge would be leaving soon.

While WWE's announcement notes that Edge got his MRI results the Monday after WrestleMania, sources indicate that he's been feeling more intense pain for a few weeks now but didn't think he would be forced to retire. Had they known Edge would have to retire, more emphasis would have been put on the WrestleMania match to make it feel more special.
How ironic that it's come full circle and he's handing over the belt in the same arena where he won his first.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Hogan's 1st comment just really came off the wrong way, didn't like it. Really cool though that Edge is gonna have his moment to go full circle and give up the belt where he first won it. Really hope Christian wins the belt since it's obvious that they are gonna put him in Edge's place.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I was just left wondering, what would have possibly happened if they did not make him get extra tests and he went into that ladder match? That could have ended up very badly for him, Del Rio, the fans, and WWE because he could have been paralyzed or dead if he took one of his classic bumps.

I'm glad he found out when he did

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
More tweets about Edge
John Cena - "CeNation. I am very proud of edge for all that he has accomplished. He is certain to be in the hall of fame. Im proud to have had so many Great moments with him. He is a true wrestling purist and one of the smartest people I've had the pleasure of wrestling with. For your last match to be a championship win at WrestleMania ...is a damn good finish to one helluva career."

The Rock - "Edge - you are my brother, an inspiration and define the word "superstar". THANK YOU Adam.. for everything."

Randy Orton - "Will miss Edge not only in ring, but in the lockeroom even more. He was one
of the few who I could call a friend. I learned alot from him."

Goldust - "Much rather edge be happy and safe without hurting further"

Beth Phoenix - "Seeing edge say goodbye was surreal. He is irreplaceable."

Sinn Bodhi - "Yes it's real about Adam... No comment... Except, love you Fatty!"

Gangrel - "Posse up edge! One love. There would be no brood without @christian4peeps and edge was very sad to hear the news but happy to see him start a new life!"

Mick Foley - "A sad day for wrestling, but what an amazing career for Edge. I was so fortunate to have been his opponent, his partner, his friend.

Rikishi - "EDGE You've done well. Thank you for your friendship my Canadian UCE !!! Enjoy full-time with family NOW "

Sean Waltman - "Beside's I love the guy & I hope he enjoys his retirement, for how ever long it may be. He deserves everything he achieved"

Matt Hardy - "Heard Adam is retiring because of physical issues that won't allow him to safely continue wrestling. He'll be missed, we've certainly had our fair share of issues.. Both good and bad. But I tip my hat to Edge who is one of the greatest I've ever been in the ring with. Adam resides in NC now-sure I'll run into him down the road. Glad that him & I are in a good place. We came in as friends, & went out that way."

Shannon Moore - "Yeah my wife told me about Edge turning in his boots last night. I'm Happy that he knows when the ring is a danger. You guys remember that Wrestling is a Biz to us and luxury to you. Edge will do great in his next steps of Life. Thank you Edge for all the bumps and bruises that you put your body through. You where one of the best in the ring. Hopefully some young guys takes notes. Young man does well for himself =makes money=saves money=retires young=lives ever after a good life. Who knows he might get better and make a big return. You never know!!!!!"

Seth Rollins - "It's sad...and scary for me."

Steve Corino - "I always enjoyed Edge. Good dude too. Always nice (must be the Canadian in him). Good luck to him in his future. Def HOF guy."

MVP - "You know Edge the performer. I know Edge the person. 1 of the best in ring performers EVER. His mind for our craft is AMAZING! HOF'er!"

Tara - "Good luck to Edge on his future endeavors. He will be missed. But he is going to love retirement. Enjoy !"

Blue Meanie - "is shocked at hear that Edge is having to retire from wrestling......While I will miss watching him perform I am glad the diagnosed him in time to spare any further damage......He is a great guy. One of my favorite opponents that I had in the WWF......His success has been well deserved and I wish him I happy and HEALTH rest of his life."

Shad Gaspard - "I’m extremely sad to hear about edge being forced to retiring. One of the few upstanding guys left in the business and a great locker room leaders. Glad he can leave a champion & on top after a great match at WM. Adam you will be missed.

Frankie Kazarian - "True class act. A boy with a dream is now a man who has left behind an incredible legacy. Thank you for all you have given"

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
eddieguerrero
Favorite Wrestler
randyorton
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
evolution
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
I'd really rather keep Orton on Raw and keep Smackdown as the place where they build new stars. If they want bigger names, fine, get the established midcard guys over there. Give ADR the belt and let a bunch of young guys go after him. How much would Orton (or really anybody other than Cena/HHH) add to the Smackdown rating anyway? Wrestling junkies will watch, casuals won't. Let's get this youth movement a-going.

That does make sense in a lotta ways, but the WWE's gonna want someone on Edge's level there, so that's why I guessed Orton..he's not really needed on RAW anyway atm. Everybody's gonna be focusing on The Rock and Cena. And he's the kinda guy who doesn't necessarily need to have a belt for people to care about him, so he could put over younger guys on SD. Del Rio, Christian, Kingston, Barrett etc could be built up enough on the brand and them getting their shots does seem appealing.

Hulk Hogan: "if any of the guys like me, Flair, Hardy, Andre, AA, Blanchard, orndoff, Henning would have listened to doctors we would have quit15yrsago, but I don't know Edges working environment because they are a media company not a wrestling company. HH wrestlers work hurt!"

"What about Foley! I bet EDGE still wants to keep wrestling,he's one of the boys big time!!! HH"

"my take is with a unfixable neck injury it's over ,but he's one of the boys and it will be hard to keep him down,he's 4life HH"

After receiving criticism for his remarks, Hogan clarified his opinion.

"I'm not saying anything bad about Edge but he's a real wrestler,Stone Cold and Cena had neck surgery and u couldn't stop em,Or Edge it's in Edges blood,he lives for this business he's a real wrestler,he a lifer,he's one of the real boys,he's hard to hold down,that's all. HH"

I wasn't offended by those remarks, seems like he was appreciating Edge for his tenacity and passion for wrestling, if anything. But obviously he can't wrestle when doctors have told him there's a good chance he can DIE, if he ignores that sort of advice then he would just be an idiot.

Kizza

Reaction score
bowed out at the right time, obvious that injuries were starting to take a toll on his in ring ability, possibly why he and del rio opened the show. great career, always thought he flew under the radar personally and expect for his feud with cena had always been pretty underappreciated. nothing wrong with that at all though.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker