Edge Retires

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
wwe.com

edge.jpg

Less than a week after his successful title defense against Alberto Del Rio at WrestleMania XXVII, World Heavyweight Champion Edge has been forced to retire from in-ring competition due to injury. The unexpected news brings to an end a storied WWE career spanning 13 years and consisting of 11 World Title reigns. (CAREER PHOTOS)

The Rated-R Superstar had been suffering numbness and uncontrollable trembling in his arms and hands. This is not the first time Edge has experienced these symptoms of nueropraxia. An MRI administered at Atlanta Midtown Diagnostic Imaging last Monday was sent to Dr. Joseph Maroon, a renowned neurosurgeon and professor of neurosurgery at The Pittsburgh School of Medicine. After careful examination of the MRI, it was determined that Edge would never be cleared to compete again, and thus, he is forced to retire.

In 2003, Edge underwent a two level spinal fusion of the discs between his C5, C6 and C7 vertebrae. After being cleared to compete, The Rated-R Superstar returned to the ring, resulting in stenosis of the spine, or a narrowing of the spinal column, above and below the fused discs. This narrowing resulted in less and less of the vital fluid needed to protect the spinal cord. Medical professionals cannot clear Edge to compete ever again in WWE since doing so could result in paralysis or even death.
It is a sad day and moment, but I rather he go out now and not have to experience what Austin went through for years or be hopped up on pills like Kurt.

He will be missed and should headline the HOF next year after so many years of service and his resume'. I'm also really glad he got his first world title win at WM now

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
His neck was hurt here -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56kWoKWNOoE&feature=player_detailpage#t=805s

I hate to skip over Edge and overlook him, but to me this is similar to HBK getting hurt and HHH getting a shit to step up and try to fill his shoes as it relates to Chrsitian

SAL

Reaction score
You can tell this was a quick development. I see two typos in the report, they just threw this together.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Yeah, Raw as a whole seemed oddly written and organized tonight. I guess this was why, and I just brushed off the graphic during TE assuming it was a work. I'm sad to see it is real.

Ben

Reaction score
Was hoping to see this was a work, sadly it isn't. Looking back though Edge has had a solid carer and should be more than happy with what he accomplished. At least he's walking away instead of trying to hang on and risk seriously injuring himself.

Huge void for WWE to fill on the Smackdown brand though, as that show really is without a standout star. Only positive I can see coming out of this, is Christian getting the chance to step up and take the top spot on the brand. Think he's more than capable though, they just need to pull the trigger and give him a chance.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Christian:
“I’ve shed my tears..And from here on out I choose 2celebrate 1 of the greatest careers in WWE history..Cant wait2 induct u in the HOF #Edge”

Reaction score
$20 says Orton moves to SD post-draft

Sad to see another one of my favourites retire, but at least Edge is smart and preserving his future.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Really shocked and sad that he is retiring however as said glad he is retiring before anything really fucked up happens to his neck and ends up having a life long issue with it. He's had a full career doing pretty much everything there was to do in the WWE so luckily for him there shouldn't be any what if's for his career.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
$20 says Orton moves to SD post-draft

Sad to see another one of my favourites retire, but at least Edge is smart and preserving his future.
That or HHH carries the load on that brand and Taker returns on a more regular TV basis

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
God, how sudden. I was never that much of a fan of Edge but i wouldn't have thought he was so close to retirement. Still, he's had some amazing moments and matches. Sucks we won't get one last proper E&C run, and although the idea of Christian villing Edge's void is really cool, those are some huge shoes to fill.

Also, Smackdown's in a lot of trouble now.

The Yeah1993

Reaction score
Did NOT see this coming. He has to be happy with his tenure from all directions but not being able to dictate when you can retire has to be horrible.

moo2k4

Reaction score
Definitely a sad moment, and one I didn't see coming. I'd heard he was talking about retiring at one point, but it wasn't going to be at least for a couple more years.

All in all though, a sad occurrence for the WWE. He's been one of the greats of this generation of superstars, and will certainly be missed. Team Blue definitely has a huge void to fill with him being gone now, and I really hope they give Christian a proper title opportunity because of this. He, to me, seems like the only logical replacement for the ladder match at Extreme Rules vs. Del Rio, and it would seem incredibly fitting if he won his first title in the wake of this.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
After Raw went off the air, Randy Orton gave the RKO to Alex Riley. John Cena then gave the Attitude Adjustment to The Miz.

Both Cena and Orton paid their respects to Edge, who announced earlier in the show that he would never compete again due to a serious spinal condition. Cena referred to him by his real name, Adam Copeland. Cena recalled Edge winning the WWE Championship from him in the Elimination Chamber and that people thought he would never amount to more than a tag team champion.

Cena mentioned that when Edge said he was leaving due to medical reasons, he wasn’t joking. Cena asked for one more send-off from the audience so Edge could hear them backstage.

Cena placed the microphone in the center of the ring and the crowd gave Edge a standing ovation. Both Cena and Orton left the ringside area to conclude the event.
source: Pro Wrestling Torch
Very classy by them

AF.

Reaction score
I'm legit heartbroken that Edge is retiring. I'm glad he ended it all with a win at WrestleMania, and despite being a natural heel, I'm glad he went out as a face.

What a career. One of the very best of all time, without a doubt. Will always be my favourite wrestler of all time

AZUCAR!

Reaction score
Sad news. I liked Edge when he was with Christian as a Tag Team and I always marked for when they would say 'for the benefit of those with flash photography'. He'll be missed by WWE for sure.