• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

chessarmy

Reaction score
The Miz winning the WWE Title is great, don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of the guy and he totally deserves this spot. However, after what happened on RAW, do you guys feel he already looks weak as champion? The only reason I'm suggesting this is due to the booking, they had him barely defeat a 61 year old Jerry Lawler. I'm sure this was discussed in some way shape or form somewhere else on the site, but I figured this topic needed it's own thread.

Personally, I have no problem with what they did, I just think they should have waited a few weeks before pulling this off. The Miz is just 1 week into his title reign, he won the belt via Money In The Bank, I think it is important to establish him as a credible champion before you have him retain against a 61 year old by the skin of his teeth. Sure, the story was that he could have won whenever he wanted but decided to inflict more damage, but I still think you need to establish him as a strong champion before you do this.

Do I think he's weak right now? No, he lost some momentum for sure but there is still lots of time (presumably) left in his title reign so they're not in doom and gloom territory yet.

McFly...

Reaction score
I don't know if many people know this, but Monday was Lawlers birthday. I guess for a birthday present, his first WWE title match after many years of working with the company. My reason as to why the match went the way it did is because of the loyalty Lawler has to WWE. Just make him look credible since it is his first title shot.

Airfixx

Reaction score
LOL... CM Punk mentioned King's birthday umpteen times that night!

Kaedon

Reaction score
Well if he was the second coming like everyone says he is, that match should have been off the hook in terms of crowd reaction. There was barely any noise during the spots (which anyone can get reaction for) along with a faint and short "Miz is awful" chant. Yeah, based on that one match, especially considering the only reason he won was because Cole helped him, yeah he looks weak as fuck.

Kaedon

Reaction score
The way people have been trying to justify his title win makes it sound like he's the best thing to happen to the WWE.

noumenon

Reaction score
Absolutely not. To be fair they make lawler look fairly strong against just about everyone... The guy can still go in the ring

pumpt73

Reaction score
Fair enough Kaedon. I think it's really just fans are happy to see a new face with the belt instead of Cena, Taker, Orton, Edge, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Knowing how WWE is, he won't have it long. Honestly, Id be pretty surprised if he still has it come Wrestlemania.

chessarmy

Reaction score
Well if he was the second coming like everyone says he is, that match should have been off the hook in terms of crowd reaction. There was barely any noise during the spots (which anyone can get reaction for) along with a faint and short "Miz is awful" chant. Yeah, based on that one match, especially considering the only reason he won was because Cole helped him, yeah he looks weak as fuck.

I don't know what match you were watching, but the crowd was going crazy during the TLC match. Jerry Lawler was great (especially his promo), but you must attribute some of that to Miz's work too

Reaction score
It seems that the E likes to portray some Money in the Bank winners as weak, like they just got lucky. Didn't they do that when CM Punk cashed in his MITB?

ThomC

Reaction score
WWE pretty much portrays their Heel champs as weak, all of them. Look back at Orton, he had to have Legacy help in just about every match. CM Punk was just mentioned by FabRougeauBrother, he didn't look too stong either. Sheamus, other than destroying a few people lol, didn't have too strong of runs with the title either. First run defended the title by winning by DQ. Then he won the title back cause of NEXUS beating up Cena. The last really strong heel champ in WWE was Triple H. JBL had a long run, that I loved by the way, but he always come out on top with help from his friends too.

Kaedon

Reaction score
Really? The crowd was going NUTS!?

No....THIS is the crowd going nuts during a match

[video=dailymotion;x66a3c]http://www.dailymotion.com/video/x66a3c_unforgiven-2005-john-cena-vs-kurt-a_sport[/video]

And this is Miz vs. Lawler

[video=youtube;3FRnO-ivKQs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3FRnO-ivKQs[/video]

Where do you hear them going APESHIT like they did for Cena vs. Angle with, you know, two guys who can actually work a match. They got up for the spots, THATS IT. That's not a rawkus crowd who wants to tear the heel apart. That's "Oh look, it's Miz, booooo, boooo, im sposed to booo him right? booo."

Reaction score
Fair enough Kaedon. I think it's really just fans are happy to see a new face with the belt instead of Cena, Taker, Orton, Edge, etc. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Knowing how WWE is, he won't have it long. Honestly, Id be pretty surprised if he still has it come Wrestlemania.

^This. Every truthful word of it.

He'll lose it back Orton before Royal Rumble.

Axis

Reaction score
Miz looks fine. People are freaking out just like they did over Sheamus, who is in an infinitely better position today than he was a year ago.

Reaction score
i am not a fan of the miz. His wrestling isn't top notch. but his play into character and promo is top notch and thats what has put him over in the past couple years. but who knows his wrestling game mught being taken up a notch, it will be interesting how he goes against the bigger wrestlers in the ring while the miz is 6'1. i know others such as benoit, y2j, hart, hbk, EG, worked fine. But i just see miz as the wrestler that will draw with his heat/character sort of similiar to a Heenan. People love to hate and will pay money for it.

But i don't think he looked weak against Lawler other top named wrestlers have used Lawler as a platform to get over. it's just a rotating process that wwe used. Just like getting a midcard more over they bring back slaughter/Duggan..