Darren Young comes out as gay

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Only time will tell if he's railroaded out of the company by other former guys.

CGS

Reaction score
Random as fuck but cool stuff to hear really. Defo is an insurance policy on his career which is good and bad at the same time. If WWE don't really deem him worthy then they shouldn't really HAVE to keep him on simply because people will assume they fired him because he's gay but I guess thats the time we live in.

Still i'm also interested to see where his career goes from here.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
D. Young gonna' get that Ron Simmons 1993 push :mark:

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
This thing kinda bugs me, not that he came out or that he's gay. WWE's reaction to it. They've had a history of treating the guys they have that they know are gay like shit. Hell look back a few months ago to the Patterson thing. Kanyon the list goes on. Now they praise him as the first openly gay superstar, well he isn't really the first at all is he? He's just the first one they aren't firing for announcing it.

TheOneKnownAsFetter

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole
This thing kinda bugs me, not that he came out or that he's gay. WWE's reaction to it. They've had a history of treating the guys they have that they know are gay like shit. Hell look back a few months ago to the Patterson thing. Kanyon the list goes on. Now they praise him as the first openly gay superstar, well he isn't really the first at all is he? He's just the first one they aren't firing for announcing it.

I agree. The whole Kanyon thing was pretty bad though. He was having a decent little push; then got buried completely & let go.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
Huh. He'll probably just keep being used the way WWE intended but good for Darren anyway. Kinda makes you wonder whenever this happens.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I agree. The whole Kanyon thing was pretty bad though. He was having a decent little push; then got buried completely & let go.

Not to derail the topic, but I have a hard time believing a company would know something Kanyon's closest friends in the business didn't know before he came out a few years after his career was over.

WWE has a pretty good track record on gays, alot better than every other wrestling company for sure. Pat Patterson is a major figure in the company has been openly gay since day one. Brooklyn Brawler has never been put in any gimmick that would portray him as a negative stereotype. Orlando Jordan was never put into any gimmick, even Sylvain Grenier was never used as a negative stereotype. Doubt this will negatively affect Darren Youngs career, he was getting decent TV time, and I was always thinking that team was on the up and up. Maybe he can develop some decent promo skills and work his way up from there with Titus.

WWE found their Be A Star speaker.

Killz

Reaction score
Mad respect to him. Say what you want about progressive society but being black in skin colour and openly homosexual in the public eye is pretty brave. Shouldn't HAVE to be brave but society has it's pockets of ridiculous.

WWE have used some hilariously cringeworthy gay storylines/characters but have been surprisingly ahead of the curve with treatment of actual gay wrestlers. Kudos to them. I'd like to see them acknowledge ex-stars/current staff in the same way but that might come across as forced and unecessary. Still, the more acceptable it is for athletes to be openly gay the better.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Its good for him, I don't see it effecting his career, but time will tell. Good luck to him, progress has been made, but there is still a way to go.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Time to put on a tinfoil hat and ask questions.

Now that there has been time to digest this, there could be arguments made about the cornvenient nature of a TMZ cameraman asking Darren Young of all people questions on the street. How cornvenient he was already set to speak at some Be A Star event, and openly wonder about all the good publicity that the WWE has garnered from this.

Just some things that make you go hmm....But then I take the tinfoil off and know that if this was a work, it would totally negatively effect you far worse than any short gain it might bring you. Would be some low down dirty shit on your face if you were exposed as a phony taking an oppurtunity to get yourself over as portraying something that isn't true. Would be like crying about being persecuted as a minority, but being full whitey. Would be like "I have AIDS" But are totlaly fine.

Weez

Reaction score
Time to put on a tinfoil hat and ask questions.

Now that there has been time to digest this, there could be arguments made about the cornvenient nature of a TMZ cameraman asking Darren Young of all people questions on the street. How cornvenient he was already set to speak at some Be A Star event, and openly wonder about all the good publicity that the WWE has garnered from this.

Just some things that make you go hmm....But then I take the tinfoil off and know that if this was a work, it would totally negatively effect you far worse than any short gain it might bring you. Would be some low down dirty shit on your face if you were exposed as a phony taking an oppurtunity to get yourself over as portraying something that isn't true. Would be like crying about being persecuted as a minority, but being full whitey. Would be like "I have AIDS" But are totlaly fine.

I see what you mean, but I really don't think that's the case. That's REALLY fucked up and I don't see it.

rakat

Reaction score
While he isn't the first gay wrestler in wrestling history, he is the first active WWE wrestler to come out publicly. Kudos to him for that.

zigglerHEEL

Reaction score
I wonder if he'll get more of a reaction from the crowd (be it positive or negative).... This actually could open some doors for him in the company if the crowd's start getting behind him.... anyways, good for him, couldn't have been easy portraying a character both on and off camera. probably a little weight off his shoulders knowing he can just be himself backstage...

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I see what you mean, but I really don't think that's the case. That's REALLY fucked up and I don't see it.

I just put on my Glen Beck cap and "was just asking questions". I don't think anyone could pull off a big lie like that, and after seeing TMZ and them saying Darren Young came out for a boyfriend(who reminded me of the guy pretending to be Manti Te'o's GF for some reason), kind of blows those types of theories out of the water. Love is love and it's a beautiful thing, even if it's something I find icky and probably will never understand.