• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Daniel Bryan

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
I am a wait until I see it to believe it kind of guy.

But if Daniel Bryan really signed with AEW, that would invigorate me again, I think.

I haven't seen any rumors or anything. @InsaneAlphaBeta told me about it so I don't know yet if it is real or rumor.

But wow if it is true.

Roadster

I saw some rumors, but I think it's unlikely. They've referenced him on WWE TV plenty of times over the past few months, including in the MITB vignette for the Reigns/Edge match.

I'll wait to see anything more concrete before I believe anything.

InsaneAlphaBeta

Details about the recent rumor of daniel bryan going to AEW.

Admittedly i came on here to make a thread about this, but seeing as this thread is here, i dont see much point in basicly making a double post. This whole daniel bryan thing is probably the biggest topic this week, combined with the reports of CM Punk also possibly being signed with AEW aswell.

We know CM Punk has been in talks with AEW for awhile now, mostly because of reports, and the fact Cm Punk said it himself. And as for bryan, the reports of what it is he wanted in saidcontract does make sense, AEW would let him work less dates so he could spend more time with his family, compared to him being with new japan, which would make him have to spend less time due to travel, but since AEW and New Japan have a working relationship, its the best of both worlds.

Both of them joining AEW would be nothing less then huge. Granted its impossible to know just how much bryan and punk will effect the ratings, but id expect some semblance of a bump for sure, and i think its safe to say both would be great long term aswell, CM Punk is 42 and bryan is 41, so nows a good a time as any for a huge return, and since both will be used to their maximum potential in AEW, i cant think of a better place for them in what might be their last run in the ring.

Even those within WWE are certain that both punk and bryan are headed to AEW, if that means anything.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
This is gonna sound insane... But bear with me.

I think CM Punk is a poor fit in AEW. He was at his best as a rage against the machine type character, and towards the end - yeah injuries, burnout, etc - his ring work wasn't the best (but didn't matter enough since he's over). In AEW he can still spit some fire on the mic but they don't really have serious enough feuds for him to really sink his teeth into, and no machine to rage against. Plus no WM main event.

Bryan though... May have even more value backstage than he is in the ring (WHICH IS SAYING A LOT). He's learned how to take the elements of WWE style that work. Sell enough to make things register while still keeping the excitement we expect. I'd love to see Bryan agent there. And wrestle, of course.

InsaneAlphaBeta

So before i respond, here is a video with more new details about CM Punk and Daniel Bryan to AEW
This is gonna sound insane... But bear with me.

I think CM Punk is a poor fit in AEW. He was at his best as a rage against the machine type character, and towards the end - yeah injuries, burnout, etc - his ring work wasn't the best (but didn't matter enough since he's over). In AEW he can still spit some fire on the mic but they don't really have serious enough feuds for him to really sink his teeth into, and no machine to rage against. Plus no WM main event.

Bryan though... May have even more value backstage than he is in the ring (WHICH IS SAYING A LOT). He's learned how to take the elements of WWE style that work. Sell enough to make things register while still keeping the excitement we expect. I'd love to see Bryan agent there. And wrestle, of course.
So i actually dissagree about the punk thing, not the whole him being best with being against the machine stuff, but to say he cant do that in AEW. because he absolutely can, young bucks are the tag team champions, and kenny omega is the world champion with don calis at his side, kenny and the bucks, being part of the creators and owners of AEW, the management being champions. There is your machine for punk to be against, its all there and would be a great fit for him, and punk had great fueds and matches even without it being against the machine so to speak, so i think hes absolutely a great fit there. And if you think about it, it makes sense for his character, he was all about making change, what better way to do that then to be part of the wrestling company responsible for the biggest changes to the entire industry?

And honestly i think bryans value is equal in terms of his in ring presence, being a wrestler on the roster aswell as helping the younger talent, him and punk can teach them things just like Chris Jericho has and they can learn alot from them, so i do kinda agree on that front.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
So before i respond, here is a video with more new details about CM Punk and Daniel Bryan to AEW

So i actually dissagree about the punk thing, not the whole him being best with being against the machine stuff, but to say he cant do that in AEW. because he absolutely can, young bucks are the tag team champions, and kenny omega is the world champion with don calis at his side, kenny and the bucks, being part of the creators and owners of AEW, the management being champions. There is your machine for punk to be against, its all there and would be a great fit for him, and punk had great fueds and matches even without it being against the machine so to speak, so i think hes absolutely a great fit there. And if you think about it, it makes sense for his character, he was all about making change, what better way to do that then to be part of the wrestling company responsible for the biggest changes to the entire industry?

And honestly i think bryans value is equal in terms of his in ring presence, being a wrestler on the roster aswell as helping the younger talent, him and punk can teach them things just like Chris Jericho has and they can learn alot from them, so i do kinda agree on that front.

I agree.

The only problem I see with Punk is ring rust and maybe some nagging injuries. I actually think his last couple years in WWE had some really good matches, so I don't see why he wouldn't be able to get back into the groove. And Daniel Bryan could have years ahead of him as a wrestler too. Ages 40 and 41 are nothing in the world of wrestling.

CM Punk

AJ Styles
Champion
I’m becoming more inclined to believe that Daniel Bryan is AEW bound just cause he doesn’t care about money at this point in his career. WWE went as far as having talks with NJPW to keep Bryan which didn’t fall through either.

I think he’d probably sign a short term deal of 2-3 years with AEW. As for Punk, he said it’s more about the story than the money. But the money should be good as well. The thing with Punk is, I think people just want to see him as a performer and nothing else. I don’t know how people would feel in an authority role or whatnot.

PaulDB

I am a wait until I see it to believe it kind of guy.

But if Daniel Bryan really signed with AEW, that would invigorate me again, I think.

I haven't seen any rumors or anything. @InsaneAlphaBeta told me about it so I don't know yet if it is real or rumor.

But wow if it is true.
I hope it is. For too long, WWE made him the stereotypical hero/victim and only granted him a a brief run as a heel. I would much rather he joinn AEW in areas of going back to WWE.

FlandyOrton

Champion
Screenshot_20210725-105619_Messenger.jpg

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Bryan & especially Punk going to AEW is probably the only thing that could legitimately get me to start watching wrestling again so I'm all for this.

InsaneAlphaBeta

After the last episode of Dynamite, id say its basicly all but confirmed at this point that CM Punk is AEW bound.

They werent even trying to be vague about it, when they shown the august 20th show being in Chicago, the fans chanted CM PUNK, and they ZOOMED IN on said fans chanting it, and there were atleast 2 promos that strongly referenced punk very obviously.

You dont get more confirmed then that, besides ofcourse him actually showing up, which, lets be honest, is happening.