Could Santino Ever Turn Heel?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
Just a simple thought I had - could Santino ever turn heel and become a more serious character? Nothing too serious and past the midcard obviously, but I wonder if he could drop the comedy act and be taken serious as a hated heel.

Senhor Perfect

Bulletproof
Reaction score
All he has to do is turn on the fans, stop his cobra gimmick, and say they all suck. Instant heat.

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
Yeah, but he'd probably be a joke kind of heel who irritates and annoys people but who people don't actually have much disdain for. I wonder if Santino debuted as a heel, if he could pull it off better. But after the Santino/Cobra comedy gimmick, I'm not sure if people would ever be able to take him serious.

Rysenberg

Legend
Reaction score
He could be an awesome heel. All he has to do is turn then go on about how he was forced to be a joke character by the WWE and how they didn't allow him to be what he could be. I don't think it's impossible.

Reaction score
Wasn't he heel earlier in the WWE? I think he was. How did that work out?

Rysenberg

Legend
Reaction score
Big Hoss Rambler said:
Wasn't he heel earlier in the WWE? I think he was. How did that work out?

The only thing I remember from that run is him having a match with Cena because Cena took exception to the fact Santino said Santa wasn't real :cornette:

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Crayo said:
Doesn't that sort of ruin kayfabe?

It's nothing WWE hasn't done before.

I remember when Mosh AKA Beaver Cleavage "broke character" by doing a worked shoot against his current gimmick right before an interview.

I'm sure it has happened plenty of times before and since then.

breaking kayfabe is cool

Lockard 23

The WWF/E Guru
Reaction score
I usually hate when they break kayfabe on screen because you're admitting that the show is fake (thus invalidating the entire show, really), even though we all know it is in reality. It's like a movie character admitting that he knows he's in a fake movie. (One of the worst wrestling storylines ever is when Vince Russo took this to the extreme in 2000 in WCW.) But in the case of Santino, it could work. He could simply say WWE persuaded him to put on a comedy act to appeal to the kids, and that wouldn't really be any different than when Batista said (during the build to WM26) the company 'got behind' Cena as the top guy.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
I don't mind breaking kayfabe as such (Punk's promo(s) would have sucked otherwise) but I'm against having it done often, or having someone like Santino do it. If you're going to do it, make it special, it has much more impact that way.

Farooq

Chairwoman of The New Day
Reaction score
Yes I think he could. I remember Santino was a monster back in OVW, probally have him revert to something like that. Go after babyfaces like Kofi, Riley, Tyson, and others and have them put lengthy matches with his move set he had on there. Have him go angry at the crowd and make him snap or something, but he could work as an angry serious heel if he does enough damage, like running over someone, dragging out a bloody legend like Sgt. Slaughter, Dusty Rhodes, even Jim Ross. Just have him go overboard and get him hated.

Dat Kid1

King of smurf Style
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
I wouldn't want to see Santino as a heel, but do I think he could do it? Yes, possibly. It all depends on what gimmick he's given as this new "serious" character. Not sure if Santino would be able to pull off the serious act, but it'd be interesting to see him try