Cody Rhodes Released! (Cody Rhodes (Stardust) Requests WWE Release)

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Aster Davis

Jobber
Reaction score
Source: WWE News, Wrestling News and Wrestling Rumors

WWE Superstar Cody Rhodes appears to be done with WWE as he posted the following comments to his personal Twitter account.

(1/2) The past ten years have been quite the trek, but as of earlier today I have asked for my release from @WWE

(2/2) I’ll speak further on the matter shortly. Thank you to all the pro-wrestling/sports entertainment fans worldwide. Thank you

Rhodes has been with WWE since 2006, starting out in the Ohio Valley Wrestling developmental territory, and has most recently been working on WWE TV under the Stardust gimmick.

Read more at WWE News, Wrestling News and Wrestling Rumors

If I played the Starudst character for two years I would probably be pretty fed up aswell. WWE seriously dropped the ball with him in 2012.

UPDATE: Cody Rhodes has been released by the WWE.

Last edited:

MrEdzhuks

The Showoff
Reaction score
Oh nooo. I was really looking forward to that two-face gimmick(Stardust/Cody), but looks like we won't see that nor Cody in some time.
Thank you Cody for all you did in these years.

DK JAMES

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
themiz
Favorite Wrestler
johncena2
Favorite Wrestler
akiratozawa
The dude did great at just about every gimmick WWE threw at him. Wasn't a fan of Stardust really, been wanting him to turn back to Cody Rhodes for a year now but instead, this happens so it's good enough haha. Hope he does good shit, whatever he does

Pop Tatari

Christian vieri
Reaction score
Great in ring talent, love his moveset and most importantly he a top worker but we will see if he wants to continue in wrestling. Not many wwe rejects I think can do a job in ROH but I think he really can at the very least be a midcard stalwart

Rogue

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles
Favorite Wrestler
kassiusohno
Kinda remember when him and Ziggler were touted as the future. At least the future of the mid-card. I'd be willing to bet Ziggler follows suit in the coming weeks/months.

Cody was cool, although I kinda feel like he won't be wrestling much anymore. Probably go down a different career path.

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Shame that he's done. Not like he was doing anything major in the company, but still.

Always been a fan of his and his departure seems kind of a sudden. The dude is probably burnt out.

As for Ziggler, @Shadow , I believe I read it a couple of months ago that he'll be done wrestling in 2-3 years' time.

Jacob Fox

Quiet You
Reaction score
Although he played the Stardust character well, I was never a fan of it. It's interesting that a lot of people at the time looked at Goldust as a way of completely breaking Dustin out of his father's shadow (although honestly this seems to have absolutely no bearing on the gimmick at all) and Stardust seems to be a character that pushes Cody into his brother's shadow, which is silly.

I always thought Cody, although I don't believe he is a top tier guy, deserved better than to be thrown into this rehash of Dustin's gimmick. If he gets his release and remains in wrestling, hopefully he'll be able to accomplish something better.

Reactions: Prince Bálor

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Cody Rhodes was a lost cause after losing the Tag Team titles in 2014.

Cody Rhodes had so much potential, especially after WrestleMania 28, but he began to drown in the sea of bad booking. His pairing and subsequent face turn with Damien Sandow seemed like an up-turn for him. The feud really good for a midcard feud, and it really got Cody over. I still think Sandow winning the Money in the Bank was horrible misstep. Cody Rhodes was hot as hell (booking wise and sexually :ksi:) and he was on the cusp of a face turn. He deserved the win and the World title run. He could've been a great face champion, and I'm not saying that just to be a mark, but he had the tools. He was extremely flexible with his gimmicks and evolving his characters. He had the in-ring ability and the ability to really sell a story. I mean, look at his matches as Un-dashing Cody Rhodes, if you want to see an example of all 3 together.

I think his run with Goldust as tag champions, was really just the last straw for him. He could've gone from "Feel Good Moment 2013" to biggest heel with one of the best feuds of 2014. The Stardust gimmick was horribly planned, horribly executed and horribly written, over time. He could've been Bully Ray after 2010. He could've ran with the heel momentum and continued for some good work. I was upset seeing that he quit, but I feel that if he continues his work and he gains a lot of success elsewhere, he can come back and make a bigger impact.

edge4ever

The Game
Technician
Reaction score
Cody has everything going for him and is super talented, never really injured, and can do it all. He didn't have the exact "look" they wanted however, and I think that's what hurt him.

Best wishes Cody. You were very underutilized.

Roadster

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
uUsHwHt
Favorite Wrestler
CVWSrPC
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
L1l4tIp
Cody was trimmed and pretty big. Not exactly 7 feet and 300 lbs, but pretty big for a lower weight guy.

C.M. Shaddix

The Architect
Hotshot
Reaction score
He could of been a World Champion, I saw it long ago before the Stardust gimmick, when he turned face I thought it would be happening, I was wrong.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
He could of been a World Champion, I saw it long ago before the Stardust gimmick, when he turned face I thought it would be happening, I was wrong.
According to several former writers, Vince McMahon has never seen anything in Cody other then a "good hand".
A world title run was never really in his future