CM Punk Scheduled To Headline WrestleMania 29

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
WWE is a business not a charity, the highest drawing match should close the show. WWE can't screw up like they did with WM18 which hurt the mainevent a lot by having HHH and Jericho close the show. That devalued those two wrestlers and the title. This year they made the right decision and hopefully next year they make the same one.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
WWE is a business not a charity, the highest drawing match should close the show. WWE can't screw up like they did with WM18 which hurt the mainevent a lot by having HHH and Jericho close the show. That devalued those two wrestlers and the title. This year they made the right decision and hopefully next year they make the same one.
You confuse me with this post given how you've been one of the people who think that nothing should be above the title and that it should main event. I don't see how Jericho and HHH main eventing hurt anything. The thing that hurt that match was how much they made Jericho an after thought to Stephanie and HHH. This isn't the 70's anymore where people strictly go for the main event because the rest of the card isn't worth mentioning. Mania as a brand itself draws if you got something like Rock/Cena, Brock/Taker and Punk/Austin just for an example you think it's gonna make or break the buys if one main events over the other? No because no matter where it is on the card the people are still gonna buy the PPV for whatever reason they want to watch it. Hell the event is already bringing in record money and the card isn't even made yet so what main event isn't gonna make a lick of impact on business.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
You confuse me with this post given how you've been one of the people who think that nothing should be above the title and that it should main event. I don't see how Jericho and HHH main eventing hurt anything. The thing that hurt that match was how much they made Jericho an after thought to Stephanie and HHH. This isn't the 70's anymore where people strictly go for the main event because the rest of the card isn't worth mentioning. Mania as a brand itself draws if you got something like Rock/Cena, Brock/Taker and Punk/Austin just for an example you think it's gonna make or break the buys if one main events over the other? No because no matter where it is on the card the people are still gonna buy the PPV for whatever reason they want to watch it. Hell the event is already bringing in record money and the card isn't even made yet so what main event isn't gonna make a lick of impact on business.

Cena vs. Johnny Ace shouldn't be above the title but Cena vs. Brock should be. That is what I have always said, if it is a true once in a lifetime huge match then it should close. Otherwise it should be the WWE title.

HHH and Jericho were definitely hurt by going last, the crowd weren't into the match at all because it was a downer after the epic Hogan vs. Rock battle. That is still one of the most confusing booking decisions of all time not putting them on last.

Using what you said then why is Punk annoyed that he hasn't mainevented WM when it doesn't mean anything? Should he be happy with the opening match slot since it is a record breaking PPV anyway and then they should close the show with CoBro vs. 3MB. The most important match on the card should always be the last match on the show whether it has the title or not.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Yeah I agree that it was a downer for HHH/Jericho to go last but that is only cause of how poorly the feud was handled as far as the actual champion goes. You don't make your champion who is gonna main event at mania secondary in a feud. That is mostly what it came down to cause if the feud was actually great and made the title seem important then it wouldn't have stood out so much as a downer.

I said it doesn't mean anything from a business standpoint not a personal standpoint. Of course as a wrestler who has worked his ass off for years and it being one of their goals would want to main event a mania. From a personal stand point it means as much as winning the WWE title so of course it means something and given how he has never done it and has been one of their main guys since 2011 he should be in the discussion to main event esp of the latter is something we've already seen before at mania and main event at mania like Rock vs Cena.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Even if HHH and Jericho had a better storyline than Jericho being Steph's slave I dont think any match could have gone on after Rock vs. Hogan. That was truly an Icon vs. Icon match and nothing could have topped it.

It would be great if the WWE title match did close the show but only if it is truly the best match on the card. They do need to do a better job of presenting the title but putting it on last after a triple threat between Rock/Brock/Taker would just make the title look even weaker because it wouldn't be able to live up to that match. Not putting the title on last could actually protect the title. Hopefully it doesn't come to that though and hopefully WWE book something huge for the WWE title at WM.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I think that people who have earned it should close the show. Punk definitely deserves to close the show. A match with a huge name would do wonders for him. But honestly, the WWE Championship should close the show really because it's the companies prized possession. It should always headline Mania in my opinion.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Someone like Punk, who has worked his ASS off over the past year to carry the title and the company should main event.

Not some person like Rock or Brock who wrestle once a year and gets a huge freaking pay day shouldn't main event.

But those two guys who work once or twice a year will generate more revenue in their very few appearances than that guy who worked his ASS off in that entire year.

Face facts, both are bigger draws.

Nuff said.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
But those two guys who work once or twice a year will generate more revenue in their very few appearances than that guy who worked his ASS off in that entire year.

Face facts, both are bigger draws.

Nuff said.
They are and I don't think anyone is saying anything different, but the problem is unlike Punk they are unlikely to be around much longer and WWE need to be thinking long term. There is also something to be said for backing the guy who has been the main event for a year now and been working hard for the company for many year now, and in his own right a very good draw.

Nine times out of ten the title should be in the main event. This year was an exception because of the way WWE put a years build into it, but don't forget Vince VS. Hogan wasn't the main event at 19.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
They are and I don't think anyone is saying anything different, but the problem is unlike Punk they are unlikely to be around much longer and WWE need to be thinking long term. There is also something to be said for backing the guy who has been the main event for a year now and been working hard for the company for many year now, and in his own right a very good draw.

Nine times out of ten the title should be in the main event. This year was an exception because of the way WWE put a years build into it, but don't forget Vince VS. Hogan wasn't the main event at 19.

Saying Punk is a good draw compared to people like Brock and Rock who have singlehandedly upped PPV buyrates by 200 thousand buys in their few PPV appearances is like saying Zack Ryder is a good draw compared to Cena. It just isn't true.

Again, it would be prudent for WWe to think about the future, but CM Punk isn't the future, this guy said it himself he is retiring in 2015. Not that far away, and to think Brock or Rock who are not Hogan or Flair here, can keep going just as long as Punk.

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
WWE will make the same amount of money whether or not Brock or Rock is in the last match or Punk is in the last match as I said before. Main eventing mania is a accomplishment not something that has any impact on how much they will make. Few years ago Cena could have main evented against Cole and it still would have had the same numbers as long as The Rock was promoted to be there.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Saying Punk is a good draw compared to people like Brock and Rock who have singlehandedly upped PPV buyrates by 200 thousand buys in their few PPV appearances is like saying Zack Ryder is a good draw compared to Cena. It just isn't true.

Again, it would be prudent for WWe to think about the future, but CM Punk isn't the future, this guy said it himself he is retiring in 2015. Not that far away, and to think Brock or Rock who are not Hogan or Flair here, can keep going just as long as Punk.

I say Punk is a good draw in his own right, never compared him to Brock or Rock. My point is if Punk was a flop then I could understand them tossing him aside, but since he is over and one of the best workers in the company then I don't see an issue. Think that is part you speclating on his retirement that is far from set in stone. I think after Mania Rock will be off back to hollywood, and Brock only has a short term contract.

KAMALA

Reaction score
I can dig it. If Punk is ever going to headline a Wrestlemania 2013 would be the year to do it.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
I say Punk is a good draw in his own right, never compared him to Brock or Rock. My point is if Punk was a flop then I could understand them tossing him aside, but since he is over and one of the best workers in the company then I don't see an issue. Think that is part you speclating on his retirement that is far from set in stone. I think after Mania Rock will be off back to hollywood, and Brock only has a short term contract.

He said it himself.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
I find the "WWE is a business" argument to be a cop put. It basically renders our discussion pointless by making the company exempt from any criticism.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
I find the "WWE is a business" argument to be a cop put. It basically renders our discussion pointless by making the company exempt from any criticism.

I don't follow. How is the company exempt from criticism just because it is a business (which it is)?

My point about calling it a business rather than a charity is that WWE are going to make decisions based on how they can make the most money.