CM Punk Scheduled To Headline WrestleMania 29

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Schmidty

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
bobbyroode2
Favorite Wrestler
antoniocesaro
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
albertodelrio2
Favorite Wrestler
bige
Favorite Wrestler
sheamus2
Cm Punk is one of the top stars in the wwe. Im sure wwe will have more than one Rock/Punk matches because the fans will love the promos they make. They can even go back to when wm 28 was building up and punk was making fun of Cena and the Rock. I defiantly see Punk/Rock.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
It's not just one guy pulling in all the ratings you know... Holy crap, everybody just blames Punk right away, but the reason ratings are going down is probably because Rock and Brock aren't on weekly. I'm sure ratings were insane when Rock and Brock were on TV and stuff. Besides that, Raw's main event scene is bare as fuck. In my opinion Punk deserves to headline Mania. He's worked pretty hard to get there.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
It's not just one guy pulling in all the ratings you know... Holy crap, everybody just blames Punk right away, but the reason ratings are going down is probably because Rock and Brock aren't on weekly. I'm sure ratings were insane when Rock and Brock were on TV and stuff. Besides that, Raw's main event scene is bare as fuck. In my opinion Punk deserves to headline Mania. He's worked pretty hard to get there.
Using Rock and Brock for ratings justification is just stupid, they're part time attractions not regular week in week out guys.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I just don't see why Punk is getting all the blame for low ratings... Especially considering he's not even leading the company. That's always going to be Cena's job. But Cena has become pretty stale lately.

Killz

Reaction score
I've recently come round to the idea that ratings genuinely mean nothing unless paired up against other stats. If Punk sells t-shirts and video games and that pulls in the lost revenue from losing some younger audience members cause Cena isn't champ then is he really a flop?

Also re: ratings the whole Rock/Brock argument isn't SO crazy because there could easily have been a slump after they disappeared. It is not uncommon for ratings to fluctuate when MASSIVE stars miss time or jumped ship back in the day. Maybe not as consistently as this but still. Also the TV schedule goes crazy at this time of year and Raw battles for TV time with sports and sitcoms and dramas returning instead of the summer months and Mania season when there isn't so much to compete with.

I'm not defending Punk as champ but still. I think Punk has HAD to evolve and it just hasn't had the same impact as his pipe-bomb phase because that was so huge. He's a victim of his own success BUT the guy is working his fingers to the bone, shifting merch and putting on great PPV matches still. I don't believe he will headline 'mania but if he does it's deserved.

Darth Shizzel

Reaction score
I don't know if you look at the ratings breakdown but everytime Punk is in a segment well sorry 90% of the time ratings go up unfortunately a lot of raw is just plain terrible.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Also re: ratings the whole Rock/Brock argument isn't SO crazy because there could easily have been a slump after they disappeared.
But the ratings they get when Brock, Rock, Vince etc aren't announced to be there are the true ratings because it's then just down to the guys who are there every week. Whenever these big stars show up and the rating pops a little bit, it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt somewhat because those people who are tuning causing the rating to increase, most likely aren't your every day viewer and are only there for that special attraction.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
I'd say it's WWE's fault for the ratings, not Punk's though. Punk is just working with what he's given. They need more Cena! 8D

Killz

Reaction score
But the ratings they get when Brock, Rock, Vince etc aren't announced to be there are the true ratings because it's then just down to the guys who are there every week. Whenever these big stars show up and the rating pops a little bit, it needs to be taken with a pinch of salt somewhat because those people who are tuning causing the rating to increase, most likely aren't your every day viewer and are only there for that special attraction.

Right exactly so it's unfair to compare the ratings from those occassions to now because the megastars are solely responsible for the slight increase. Moreso it's clear that the every day viewers aren't having their attention drawn my anything on the card, not simply Punk being on top.

The McMahon stuff recently drew ok. Sheamus draws like a yo-yo and lost HUGE viewers this week. Ryback hasn't drawn a dime until this week apparently with a huge increase but that's the hot property who isn't drawing either. Again, I don't put stock in ratings but other things tell the story. No-ones talking about the WHC, and now #1 contender, losing viewers in such a big way are they?

Also, ratings never remain consistently high when building new stars or even legacies. You stick with people, you stick with the ratings that have been steady for months (that one 15 year low being the standout that's made everyone start worrying about Punk as a draw) and you see where things go heading into the new year. Poor initial ratings for superstars/angles/gimmick changes are the reason Christian and Jack Swagger aren't main eventing right now because they have the carpet pulled out from under them.

This time in the last two years Raw was doing 3.1 or thereabouts with Cena and the Nexus angle in 2010 and 2 or so 3 hour special events last year. Given the fact that the 3 hours is taking it's toll on every fan I'd imagine I think numbers at the moment are good for what's going on and more of an indicator that they need to drop the 3rd hour.

Dale

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
ui9LmS7
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Wrestler
EtPxwR9
Favorite Wrestler
eAVr0ua
Favorite Wrestler
GDgC9g9
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
I'm with you don't get me wrong, as a fan I don't see why anyone would be interested in ratings, merchandise sales etc I was just simply making a point to whoever it was about ratings being poor because Rock and Brock weren't on TV.

Reactions: 1 person

Killz

Reaction score
Yeah totally man I was just pointing out the other foibles and interesting points that make the stats almost irrelevant haha. By the most recent ratings WrestleMania should be headlined by Cena vs Vickie Guerrero vs Vince McMahon vs Brad Maddox in a four-way you know? It's ridiculous to say Punk doesn't deserve the spot, on topic, because however low the ratings may APPEAR, he's still helped carry this company for an entire year and has given us moments we won't forget, all without having his own crowning WrestleMania moment. I hope it happens. I'd love for them to build to a 3 way or something with Rock and Cena and then have Punk go over. Talk about making someone.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
God forbid WWE actually gives people what they keep harping about.

Punk should've been maineventing last year is what I kept reading last Mania, they do it this year and they shouldn't because why? Ratings?

What the fuck do ratings have to do with anything? An overbloated TV show would make it hard for anyone to get viewers. People don't watch wrestling, in-ring segments only draw viewers when people have mics in their hands.

Defiant

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
thewhyats
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
deanambrose
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
ajlee
The WWE Champion who can't get a main event on Sundays *gasp* isn't drawing? So, we overwhelmingly DON'T want Punk in WM main events now? Jericho forbid we can get a high profile wrestling match that isn't a fucking financial safe bet for WWE. They're doing fine, guys.

What's the bet that, on the other hand, these same people would be absolutely soaking if the report read Dolph Ziggler?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
With WM these days there are always multiple mainevents each year so even if Punk doesn't close WM he will still be in a mainevent match. If he is still the WWE champion by the time WM rolls around it would be good seeing the title close the show but only if there isn't another marquee match. HHH screwed up when he pulled rank and ensured that his WWE title match against Jericho closed WM18 rather than Rock vs. Hogan, yes the title is important but Rock vs Hogan was so much higher than the title and it meant that people just didn't care about the mainevent. They made the right call this year with Rock vs. Cena closing the show because that is a marque match that was bigger than the title.

If Punk is facing Rock for the title at WM that should close the show but if Rock is facing Brock or Taker on the card then that should obviously close the show.

Tapout

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
jericho
Favorite Wrestler
evanbourne
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
romanreigns
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk5
Someone like Punk, who has worked his ASS off over the past year to carry the title and the company should main event.

Not some person like Rock or Brock who wrestle once a year and gets a huge freaking pay day shouldn't main event.