Candidates for RAW MITB?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Rainman said:
Come on, Crayo. The MITB Match created Daniel Bryan and the Miz.
If anyone should be begging for more MITB Matches, it's you.

Daniel Bryan created DB, MITB did nothing for him. He was god awful when he had it anyway. It made him look worse. Miz I can agree with as he (imo) had the best MITB reign ever.

Back then, brands meant something, so your point is void... There is no brand split effectively now, it's one show.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Crayo said:
Daniel Bryan created DB, MITB did nothing for him. He was god awful when he had it anyway. It made him look worse. Miz I can agree with as he (imo) had the best MITB reign ever.

Back then, brands meant something, so your point is void... There is no brand split effectively now, it's one show.

The only way new people like D-Bry seem to get a shot nowadays (other than filler fodder like Dolph's main event opportunities have been) is via MITB. The briefcase gave him the spotlight, and Daniel Bryan grabbed it and ran with it.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Rainman said:
The only way new people like D-Bry seem to get a shot nowadays (other than filler fodder like Dolph's main event opportunities have been) is via MITB. The briefcase gave him the spotlight, and Daniel Bryan grabbed it and ran with it.

And looked like a moron with it... they booked him as being the class face champion who cashes in at Wrestlemania, but he looked like an unintentional hypocrite. It did more damage than good to Bryan.

I don't see the "it's the only way to get a shot" reason as a plus, lol. He would have got the same spotlight just without a prop. I see your point for Miz though, he took the shot and ran with it, probably because it's a lot easier being a heel and winning it than being a face.

Daniel Bryan made himself when they finally turned him, that's when he got himself noticed bud.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Crayo said:
And looked like a moron with it... they booked him as being the class face champion who cashes in at Wrestlemania, but he looked like an unintentional hypocrite. It did more damage than good to Bryan.

I don't see the "it's the only way to get a shot" reason as a plus, lol. He would have got the same spotlight just without a prop. I see your point for Miz though, he took the shot and ran with it, probably because it's a lot easier being a heel and winning it than being a face.

Daniel Bryan made himself when they finally turned him, that's when he got himself noticed bud.

When he had the briefcase, you are right. The guy looked horrible. He was the generic, characterless, babyface midcarder that Creative threw out there to fill time every week on SD or Superstars, whether he had the briefcase or not. But had he not won MITB, would Creative had cared enough to turn him and utilize him to his full potential? Or would they have continued to book him as simple filler, and basically let him be Smackdown's Kofi Kingston?

This way, he had a shot.

I'm trying to find the link where it was reported that Hayes had him win because he thought Bryan could be Smackdown's big babyface alongside Orton that they so desperately needed, but as you know Hayes is an idiot. Plans changed and they did what they did.

Only two new main-eventers have been made recently without the help of MITB or RR. They caught lightning in a bottle with Punk (then let it out) and Smackdown actually had competent booking and made a star out of Mark Henry. Everyone else they've tried to push as more than just filler opposition (Miz, ADR, Sheamus, Bryan, Swagger, Kane, etc) has been because of the Royal Rumble or Money in the Bank. I wouldn't expect them to push Bryan any other way.

Reactions: Dolph'sZiggler

Leo C

Backlund Mark
Reaction score
Bryan's booking as Mr. MITB was simply awful, good grief. But the briefcase was indeed what ended up getting him pushed. And as Rainman said, it's incredibly hard for Creative to be able to push someone successfully without MITB/Rumble. They need these creative crutches (titles, tournaments, big matches) to push people, otherwise everyone would be a midcarder for life.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Rainman said:
When he had the briefcase, you are right. The guy looked horrible. He was the generic, characterless, babyface midcarder that Creative threw out there to fill time every week on SD or Superstars, whether he had the briefcase or not. But had he not won MITB, would Creative had cared enough to turn him and utilize him to his full potential? Or would they have continued to book him as simple filler, and basically let him be Smackdown's Kofi Kingston?

This way, he had a shot.

I'm trying to find the link where it was reported that Hayes had him win because he thought Bryan could be Smackdown's big babyface alongside Orton that they so desperately needed, but as you know Hayes is an idiot. Plans changed and they did what they did.

Only two new main-eventers have been made recently without the help of MITB or RR. They caught lightning in a bottle with Punk (then let it out) and Smackdown actually had competent booking and made a star out of Mark Henry. Everyone else they've tried to push as more than just filler opposition (Miz, ADR, Sheamus, Bryan, Swagger, Kane, etc) has been because of the Royal Rumble or Money in the Bank. I wouldn't expect them to push Bryan any other way.

A+ Post.

Also the MiTB storyline also allowed for his heel turn. When he cashed in his contract he came off as the biggest liar and hypocrite ever with casuals, which = instant heat.

It was a brilliant slow burn style turn where he didn't just do one act that instantly made him a dastardly heel.. he still acted noble, but gradually became more and more heelish and more and more annoying.

Crayo

The Boss
Reaction score
Website
wweforums.net
Rainman said:

This way, he had a shot.

He was getting air time anyway. He used to walk to ring, job, leave. As MITB holder I guess he won a few more matches to seem legit, but the only difference after he won was Cole calling him a nerd with a briefcase. Also, the last paragraph just proves that they need to stop pushing via MITB and push with actual story-lines. Punk is incredibly over, it can be done easily.

The briefcase literally done nothing apart from have Bryan win useless matches instead of lose them. That has contributed nothing to Daniel Bryan's recent success.

Dolph'sZiggler said:
A+ Post.

Also the MiTB storyline also allowed for his heel turn. When he cashed in his contract he came off as the biggest liar and hypocrite ever with casuals, which = instant heat.

It was a brilliant slow burn style turn where he didn't just do one act that instantly made him a dastardly heel.. he still acted noble, but gradually became more and more heelish and more and more annoying.

Daniel Bryan didn't turn heel because he was seen as a hypocrite, he turned heel because when he was champion he got all "cocky" as Punk put it. Unless you really believe the casuals listen to Michael Cole enough for Cole to actually turn someone heel on his own...

"he still acted noble, but gradually became more and more heelish and more and more annoying.", how does the briefcase have anything to do with this? Apart from the fact he was champion at the time, that could have been done without the briefcase. That's my point which isn't being received apparently.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
The cashing in the contract after cutting 100 promos about how great he was because he was going to wait until WM and he wasn't going to take advantage of a situation like the one he wound up taking advantage of was the first domino that tipped over that set forth his heel turn.