Attitude Versus PG

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

What do you prefer?

• Total voters

Irwin R. Schyster

The Showoff
Reaction score
The 80's/early - mid 90's were PG as well (though the umbrella term for those times wasn't PG), so, I am not sure if this thread is just made by a youngin' who started watching wrestling during the AE (not a diss, just saying), but, if this is just covering AE and the current PG product, I would have to go with the Attitude Era. If we are talking PG wrestling in general, 80's for LIFE.

louissiscool

The Artiste
Reaction score
The 80's/early - mid 90's were PG as well (though the umbrella term for those times wasn't PG), so, I am not sure if this thread is just made by a youngin' who started watching wrestling during the AE (not a diss, just saying), but, if this is just covering AE and the current PG product, I would have to go with the Attitude Era. If we are talking PG wrestling in general, 80's for LIFE.

I missed the 80s was only born in 89 so i meant the current PG era.

Farooq

Chairwoman of The New Day
Reaction score
Current PG.

HHH is not a bad guy.

catlady

The People's Champion
Main Eventer
Reaction score
I missed the attitude era.. So I voted PG :troll:

RoyalRaven

Fooqy Booqy Biggest Gamer Winner!
Banned
Reaction score
After having watched a fair bit of the AE, I think it's over hyped. I mean, I understand that the Rock, Stone Cold, Jericho, Kane, Undertaker and Mick Foley are still awesome. But alot of it was just trash, I can't stand Trips H now and back then he bored me even more. I'm not as hating towards HBK but I'd find myself skipping segements with him because he just never shut up. I started properly watching last year and to be honest, I think the roster is pretty good right now. Replace Khali with Sami Zayn, add in some of the wrestlers from NXT and we'd have a really interesting roster. Also Hunico needs to be pushed, under the Sin Cara mask or not.

deathclaw4721

The Showoff
Reaction score
I started watching WWE in 2009, so I missed the attitude era by a long shot. I'm pretty sure that even if I watched the attitude era too, I would still prefer the PG era, because I like newer stuff, but the major factor is that my favorite wrestler (AJ Lee) is part of the PG era.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
From the stuff I've heard Raws were much better in the AE, but outside of the memorable moments the PPV's were garbage. While they had the "larger than life characters", you can also call many of them "shitty wrestlers". Whereas right now there's great workers up and down the card. Maybe there was that one part of the RA era where there were guys like Angle, Eddie, and Krispen running around that was better, but this could be the best in-ring roster WWE's ever had.

But if you remember 2010 then there's no way you can say that about the entire era. Good discussion point, though.

Mustafar Reginald

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
I missed the Attitude era so I'll refrain from voting since my input here is going to be more conjecture than an insight founded on personal experience gained through witnessing it but I can do my best by using what little I have seen to give an answer that's somewhat more tantamount to the other answers expressed in this thread. Which is going to be difficult considering most people still consider that PG era to be going on and respectfully disagree. However for the sake of argument, I'm going to ignore my dissent because if I was going by the years I categorize the PG era under then it's a simple no contest here as the Attitude era would win in a landslide.

Anyway, going based on what I've experienced and what I know about both eras, I'd actually go with the PG era over the Attitude era. First, make no mistake about it, when I watch wrestling, it's for the wrestling (which is why I only watch PPV's nowadays). Maybe it's because my scope of the PG era is much larger than the Attitude era but I think that, on average, the wrestling is better today than it is back that. I mean, whenever I hear praise come the Attitude era's way, better wrestling doesn't tend to be one of the bullet points people rattle off. They rattle off stuff like more diversified and interesting characters, more gripping stories or the fact that every division had stories. I won't try and argue with those things (I don't necessarily agree with all those assessments either), kinda hard to fully appreciate several stories you weren't around to witness as they played out and only really read about or saw specific segments too but it's not hard to figure out what I value most in wrestling and none of those things are it (not trying to deride those factors, they are important and have made significant impact on how I feel about certain matches that were heavily intertwined with the build, they just are at the forefront of what I'm looking for). Also, I often find many matches themselves can tell better stories than the WWE are able to construct.

The final and defining reason why I prefer this era over that Attitude era is, contradictory to my intent, completely unfair. This era has the benefit of sites like these. Sites where I can go on for this long about wrestling and not be told to shut up about halfway through. Being on a forum that engages in discourse about wrestling has only made wrestling a much more engaging experience, as I've said plenty of times on here before if it wasn't for this site I wouldn't even bother to watch WWE to the extent I do now. It's all saw I can contribute to this site and besides just that, I also enjoy reading the opinions of many users on this site who either have a dissenting from mine or sprout from having much more wisdom than I do like Lockard, Rain, Dolph's, Seabs, Stopspot, Crayo, etc. So yeah, that really, really helps this era win out for me and why I can say confidently even if I had seen the Attitude era that I would've still preferred the PG era.

Reactions: Crayo

leojay

Champion
Reaction score
I've really turned on the "Attitude Era", partially because of being sick of all of those idiots preaching for it to come back and holding it on such a high pedestal, and partially because looking back at it it is just trash.

I love the depth of the wrestlers and storylines then. They had so many different characters to tune in for with multiple different storyline rather than now when only one seems to matter. However, at the same time it's just so edgy and trashy. All of the unnecessary profanity and sexual innuendos makes it look like a show aimed at horny and edgy twelve year olds. I really just can't get into it at all.