• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Typically five-star matches have strong story-telling along with an enjoyable pace, and great crowd reactions and the idea of them being "flip heavy" is a cliche. By that logic, the Young Bucks would have way more than only one five-star match in their career, and that was in part due to the pure energy from the crowd.

Okada vs Omega did have some points of the match where maybe the selling wasn't as strong, but it did have plenty of ques for storytelling. In the first match, Kenny Omega didn't even hit his finisher at all and he was kicking out of Okada's rainmaker only as a tool for building up an underdog story, which he was in that case. Their second match, Kenny only hit his finisher once and it was a rope-break and there was a point in the match where Kenny Omega, from being too beat up, literally collapses before Okada hit the Rainmaker. They had a lot of these storytelling elements in their own ways.

Then we can look at WWE's last match which was rated Five Stars, Punk vs Cena at MITB. It literally had it all, crowd reactions, a hot storyline behind it, storytelling from the crowd, and it was a huge money match. Whether or not you like CM Punk now, he was over as hell then and in the coming months would even start outselling John Cena at a point in merch.

If anything, it's possible to have both really good matches and really good big money matches. A match isn't only good just on flips, but just because it is a big-time storyline/big stars, doesn't mean it is immune from disappointment. I mean, Braun and Big Show had good matches this year and they're big men, yet also Roman vs Cena was a big money match, but honestly, the match was kind of "eh." Rock and Austin had three great WrestleMania matches, but they were far from the most technically sound. Then Shawn Michaels and Undertaker, two matches which honestly should be considered Five-Star. Big money, great storylines, and more.

Reaction score
Ok what i was trying to say is that in my opinion matches that don't have good storytelling do not draw. If the names wrestling there are unimportant that doesn't matter to some extent even though they may high spot it to death. These are the matches regard as five stars. Well most of the marks like dave meltzer. Now a money drawing match is what makes the show usually the main event. Two big personalities that have an issue that we care about. Thats what keeps alive the biz

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I'm glad Beavs brought up Punk vs Cena. WWE's last five star match... When you actually go back and watch it, the work really wasn't what you'd expect from this type of match. However, it had an unbelievable atmosphere, amazing build, had the crowd completely invested and living/dying off each nearfall, slowed the pace to let what happened resonate, and build up to an exciting finish that left you wanting more and tune in to Raw.

At least something good came out of this lol