5 star match vs money drawing match

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Can you elaborate on what you are asking?

Reaction score
Ok some of you marks get ready to get insulted. First off i watched some shoots about the state of pro wrestling and some of the shooters were in ring generals that did not draw and some where people that couldn't do jack shit but drew a lot of money a.k.a kevin nash. So in these forums you see people praising flippy shit that last over sixty mins but there are people like me that think thats all killing the bussiness because they are killing the psychology of the biz. So basically wrestling is suffering right now because of lack of big names and lack of big matches. In short of lack of workers that can draw a crowd and thst can do enough shit to the point they can get their moneys worth. People are having 5 star matches all the time but wrestling is suffering because of those lacks in my opinion

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Ok some of you marks get ready to get insulted. First off i watched some shoots about the state of pro wrestling and some of the shooters were in ring generals that did not draw and some where people that couldn't do jack shit but drew a lot of money a.k.a kevin nash. So in these forums you see people praising flippy shit that last over sixty mins but there are people like me that think thats all killing the bussiness because they are killing the psychology of the biz. So basically wrestling is suffering right now because of lack of big names and lack of big matches. In short of lack of workers that can draw a crowd and thst can do enough shit to the point they can get their moneys worth. People are having 5 star matches all the time but wrestling is suffering because of those lacks in my opinion

To me, they just need to do less PPVs, cut Raw back to a two hour show, and allow their wrestlers to take breaks in rotation to keep everyone fresh and healthy. That alone will help out A LOT. Aside from that... Better writers and a little more freedom for these wrasslers in terms of promos.

Last edited:
Reaction score
To me, they just need to do less PPVs, cut Raw back to a two hour show, and allow their wrestlers to take breaks in rotation to keep everyone fresh and healthy. That alone will help out A LOT. Aside from that... Better writers and a little more freedom for these wrasslers in terms of promos.
No. Maybe raw to two hours ok but not 1 hour. As the amount of ppv they have brand splits so i don't mind that. There are too manny ppv matches on sd and raw. When ppvs are brand splittes i think its ok. As for the wrestlers they don't need a break just make them go away and add other wrestlers capable of going. But the point of this thread is that in my view 5 star matches do not draw. Indy style of wrestling doesn't draw. And what is worse wwe is slowly incorporating some of that by making finishers meaningless etc.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
No. Maybe raw to two hours ok but not 1 hour. As the amount of ppv they have brand splits so i don't mind that. There are too manny ppv matches on sd and raw. When ppvs are brand splittes i think its ok. As for the wrestlers they don't need a break just make them go away and add other wrestlers capable of going. But the point of this thread is that in my view 5 star matches do not draw. Indy style of wrestling doesn't draw. And what is worse wwe is slowly incorporating some of that by making finishers meaningless etc.

I said two not one :pity:

And yeah I agree about finishers. They should mean something and they seemingly don't these days which is bad but they can easily fix a lot of issues with what I said. Over-saturation is never a good thing with anything in the entertainment world. Not in sports, not in music, not in television. They have the network and they simply do not need 2 PPVs a month. There is almost no time to build. Even though they have a brand split now, it clearly isn't working. Since the split, rating have continued to go down and they struggle to come up with any good story lines. The last one I enjoyed was KO and Jericho and that was because they had it build for months and months before killing it off. It had depth and I enjoyed everything they did.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
As for the OP... I don't need a bunch of 5 star matches, I need story and depth. A solid story can save a seemingly mediocre match. I can't get invested in a match if the build to said match is lousy and this is the main reason I simply don't care enough to follow WWE like I used to. They don't give me a reason to watch.

Pop Tatari

Christian vieri
Reaction score
wwe spamming finishers has nothing to do with indy wrestling they have been doing it since before people cared about indy wrestling. doing that shit since 98

Reactions: Solid Snake
Reaction score
As for the OP... I don't need a bunch of 5 star matches, I need story and depth. A solid story can save a seemingly mediocre match. I can't get invested in a match if the build to said match is lousy and this is the main reason I simply don't care enough to follow WWE like I used to. They don't give me a reason to watch.
Yes thats what i mean. The match almost doesn't matter if you tell the story. In the ring you tell a story you don't showcase some flippy stuff.
wwe spamming finishers has nothing to do with indy wrestling they have been doing it since before people cared about indy wrestling. doing that shit since 98
But now is happening in every match. A finisher is not meant to be afalse finish. Look no further than cena v reigns at no mercy. What the fuck was that shit. Cena been pinning people with that finishfor 15 years. Braun strowman kicking out of twist of fate at 1 how the fuck did matt let that happen?

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
The best way to draw money in the States - sans WWE for obvious reasons - is the power of your branding, and having consistent match quality is a part of that.
That's why NJPW is having a bigger share of the marketplace - as well as having storylines that actually affect the wrestling.
Okada and Tanahashi didn't draw in Japan because it was a "five star match" - that's silly, really, you can't want to see a match live based on how good it is - it drew because Okada won the G1 and got another shot at the Ace who he's never beaten on the biggest show of the year.
In the States it drew because Wrestle Kingdom has built a reputation as a must-see show with three of the best matches you'll see all year
Look at Brock Lesnar, where they did everything in their power to make him feel like a special attraction and a super God amongst men, and he killed that aura through shitty matches.
I can't remember a match this year that the IWC was looking forward to more than Strowman vs Lesnar.
Kayfabe is dead, casual fans aren't coming back, random people just LOL at wrestling being a piece of their childhood. We're all you've got.

We're living in a post-NXT world. We know the power of good writing makes stars like Bayley, Sami Zayn, TJ Perkins from the CWC. And we see the main roster's writing kill that every time. That's why wrestling fans are more focused on that than star ratings, so your generic anti-smark hate thread is about three years too late buddy. Thanks for playing though

Reaction score
The best way to draw money in the States - sans WWE for obvious reasons - is the power of your branding, and having consistent match quality is a part of that.
That's why NJPW is having a bigger share of the marketplace - as well as having storylines that actually affect the wrestling.
Okada and Tanahashi didn't draw in Japan because it was a "five star match" - that's silly, really, you can't want to see a match live based on how good it is - it drew because Okada won the G1 and got another shot at the Ace who he's never beaten on the biggest show of the year.
In the States it drew because Wrestle Kingdom has built a reputation as a must-see show with three of the best matches you'll see all year
Look at Brock Lesnar, where they did everything in their power to make him feel like a special attraction and a super God amongst men, and he killed that aura through shitty matches.
I can't remember a match this year that the IWC was looking forward to more than Strowman vs Lesnar.
Kayfabe is dead, casual fans aren't coming back, random people just LOL at wrestling being a piece of their childhood. We're all you've got.

We're living in a post-NXT world. We know the power of good writing makes stars like Bayley, Sami Zayn, TJ Perkins from the CWC. And we see the main roster's writing kill that every time. That's why wrestling fans are more focused on that than star ratings, so your generic anti-smark hate thread is about three years too late buddy. Thanks for playing though
What im slamming is this idea of having 5 star matches (which is do as manny flippy shit and no storytelling plus make the finishes meaningless) against matches that tell a story and get you over. Of course having great matches is the part of branding but the idea of a great match is not killing psychology. There is a reason there is an opener and a main event. Not every match has to be the main event of starcade to quote jim cornette. Now that being said brock lesnar blowing up at no mercy definetly killed some of his aura. But he still is a big draw. In fact the biggest draw. The fact that you blamed the creative for holding down wrestlers is subjective. They control the matches and they have to get over on their own. Kevin owens makes gold every time on the mic. If they were so good they would want their relase and make it in the Indies and become an undeniable attraction for wwe

Pop Tatari

Christian vieri
Reaction score
What im slamming is this idea of having 5 star matches (which is do as manny flippy shit and no storytelling plus make the finishes meaningless) against matches that tell a story and get you over. Of course having great matches is the part of branding but the idea of a great match is not killing psychology. There is a reason there is an opener and a main event. Not every match has to be the main event of starcade to quote jim cornette. Now that being said brock lesnar blowing up at no mercy definetly killed some of his aura. But he still is a big draw. In fact the biggest draw. The fact that you blamed the creative for holding down wrestlers is subjective. They control the matches and they have to get over on their own. Kevin owens makes gold every time on the mic. If they were so good they would want their relase and make it in the Indies and become an undeniable attraction for wwe
You have no clue what a 5 star match is. Plenty of matches that are rated that have storytelling, meaningful finish and non flippy. Your just trolling