3 matches to convert a non-fan?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
just like you wouldn't show a defensive scheme masterclass in football to someone who's never watched NFL, imo you;d show them some shit where there's some insane catches and touchdown to get them hype. just my 2 cents on the matter

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I don't agree the flippy shit is going anywhere considering Darby himself is likely to be a prototype of who young people will look at in the future, as will kenny, bucks etc just like guys like brock lesnar will still continue to influence things going forward.

i also think you misunderstand my philosophy on this and my thinking. The point of this thread is to convert a non-viewer. I'd show a casual the most excting matches possible with the most athleticism as possible because imo thats whats more likely to captivate a casual. we may enjoy technical master classes, but thats not something you show someone who wont be able to appreciate any of the nuances.
I'm not even saying it has to be a technical masterclass with chain wrestling. Look at the matches I brought up. The older ones there are HBK/Taker and Austin/Hart. Neither are filled with mat work or any of that. You could throw in Flair/Steamboat, Steamboat/Savage or any of those... it doesn't really matter. The common factor of these matches is a clear and compelling story, high drama and believable working. That's something you're a bit more likely to see in 80s and 90s than today (not saying it's extinct or anything, by any means).

I do get where you're coming from as well. I get the rationale for exposing them to the modern style. It may be more likely to convert them and get them interested in some AEW or NXT. I still think certain older matches can be just as good at making someone understand the intricacies of wrestling and why some people are so invested in it. Anecdotally, I have shown my friends who don't watch wrestling a lot of shit. Usually the matches they react best to are stuff like Joe/Kobashi, JBL/Guerrero and Taker/Michaels. And to be fair, Okada/Omega. I do have a couple of friends though who really did not react well to stuff from The Bucks, Lucha Bros, Ospreay, and the like because it's overly choreographed and comes off as fake and cheesy to them. But, that's just my experience.

Ultimately I don't disagree with your suggestion that you'd rather show them new stuff (may have sounded that way), I just stand by showing them classic matches as being just as effective.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I'm not even saying it has to be a technical masterclass with chain wrestling. Look at the matches I brought up. The older ones there are HBK/Taker and Austin/Hart. Neither are filled with mat work or any of that. You could throw in Flair/Steamboat, Steamboat/Savage or any of those... it doesn't really matter. The common factor of these matches is a clear and compelling story, high drama and believable working. That's something you're a bit more likely to see in 80s and 90s than today (not saying it's extinct or anything, by any means).

I do get where you're coming from as well. I get the rationale for exposing them to the modern style. It may be more likely to convert them and get them interested in some AEW or NXT. I still think certain older matches can be just as good at making someone understand the intricacies of wrestling and why some people are so invested in it. Anecdotally, I have shown my friends who don't watch wrestling a lot of shit. Usually the matches they react best to are stuff like Joe/Kobashi, JBL/Guerrero and Taker/Michaels. And to be fair, Okada/Omega. I do have a couple of friends though who really did not react well to stuff from The Bucks, Lucha Bros, Ospreay, and the like because it's overly choreographed and comes off as fake and cheesy to them. But, that's just my experience.

Ultimately I don't disagree with your suggestion that you'd rather show them new stuff (may have sounded that way), I just stand by showing them classic matches as being just as effective.
thats totally fair fwiw, i have zero issue wit hthe matches you brought up either because I'd say most of em still hold up as good ass shit by todays standards. I didn't mean to sound dismissive of the older classics either so I apologize if it came off that way as well

Reactions: Hoss

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
I'd probably try to show them three different types of matches to get them, as long as I can give them a basic run-down/promo packages of the overall story.

1. Undertaker vs Shawn Micheals either Wrestlemania 25 or the first Cell match from Bad Blood.

It would depend more if I go with the shock value of a brutal cell match with an iconic debut, or a storytelling masterpeice. This is a choice of wrestling before.

2. Young Bucks vs Hangman/Omega from Revolution or Bucks vs Lucha Bros (any of their matches really, but either their cage match or the ladder match)

These are examples of wrestling now and how a tag team match can be epic.

3. PAC vs Orange Cassidy at Revolution

Now, how about a comedy match? This is to show wrestling's variety.

The hope is that one of these speaks to them.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
^ if we want to go comedy, I would insist on any Toru Yano :heston

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
^ if we want to go comedy, I would insist on any Toru Yano :heston

I'll go with a North American example, less of a cultural hurdle for a new fan. But Yano is a treasure.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
*cries in PWG and CHIKARA*

OH YEAH! THEN FUCK IT, THE SCENE OF EVERYONE HAVING THEIR THUMB UP JUSHIN THUNDER LIGER'S LEGENDARY ASSHOLE!

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Yeah, those "rock slaps" sounded like rock slaps, lol
i was laughing before the announcer even mentioned it, I knew EXACTLY what he was doing. just missing the the half step, spit in hand then crank out the last one :heston

• Haha
Reactions: Alexa