3 matches to convert a non-fan?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Moon Bird

Reaction score
Website
abandonedmemories.tumblr.com
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
Hook1
You've found a non-wrestling fan. You can show them any 3 matches from any promotion from any era in order to try and convert them.

Which 3 matches do you pick?

I'll go first

1- Jerry Lynn vs RVD at Hardcore Heaven '99
2 - The Hardys vs The Dudleys vs Edge & Christian at Wrestlemania 17
3- Cody vs Dustin at Double Or Nothing 2019

Reactions: Chris

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Interesting question, I've had this discussion with some folks before but I don't remember if I ever really was able to narrow it down :lol Lemme give this some thought

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
I don't think I convert a non-fan into a Deathmatch fan, unless they really liked horror movies

Reactions: Necro

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
I think it helps to know what the other person's interests are. Some, you'd wanna show a drama-filled epic. Some, you'd wanna show a stiff slobberknocker. Some, you'd wanna show a bloodbath. If I had to just say 3 for the average person though it'd probably be...

- Brock Lesnar vs. Roman Reigns vs. Samoa Joe vs. Braun Strowman - SummerSlam 2017
- The Undertaker vs. Shawn Michaels - WrestleMania 25
- Bret Hart vs. Steve Austin - WrestleMania 13

Last edited:

Vegeta

The Wanted Man
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
MOLAnG4
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
homd3TG
Favorite Sports Team
gLxCq87
Favorite Sports Team
WrE8t1L
Favorite Sports Team
lurU13l
Favorite Sports Team
HHst8yg
I’m going to need some time to think on this one. Good thread idea tho

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
I finally figured out my last. I went with CZW for this list since more non-wrestling fans may have heard about it then BJW and so.

1. Thumbtack Jack .vs. DJ Hyde (Cinder Blocks, Light Tubes, Syringes, And Fire) at Tournament Of Death VIII (If you know then you know)

2. MASADA vs. Masashi Takeda (Barbed Wire Ropes, Kenzans, And Flaming Glass) at Tournament of Death X

3. Jun Kasai .vs. Matt Tremont (Barbed Wire Ropes, Light Tubes, And Scaffolding Match) at Tournament of Death TOD XIII

Villano69

Reaction score
1. Undertaker vs, Mankind - Hell in a Cell
2. Okada vs. Ospreay - G1 2019 Day 7
3. Young Bucks vs. Omega & Page - AEW Revolution 2020

and I have to add one more

4. Ric Flair vs. Barry Windham- Jan 20, 1987. After an unbelievable 46 minute match, Flair delivers an even better promo. Just the very best at his best.

The Hell in a Cell is the all-time spectacle that no one can watch and not be amazed and horrified. Okada and Ospreay is just incredible athleticism in a complete sprint and a great story. The Bucks vs Omega/Page has Spielberg level storytelling and one crazy move and near falls after another. And that is my favorite Flair match even over the Steamboat trilogy. Go check it out

Reactions: Chris

Bobby Barrows

Trans Rights
Reaction score
Website
facebook.com
Favorite Wrestler
Hv5zY64
Favorite Wrestler
OZO8olA
Favorite Wrestler
zPa7dqi
Favorite Wrestler
Y2tTaaf
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Wrestler
Y06mUrE
Favorite Sports Team
u1fTOMX
Favorite Sports Team
wild
Favorite Sports Team
HDDZGPE
Favorite Sports Team
pUtq1ms
1. Triple H vs. Shawn Michaels vs. Chris Benoit - WrestleMania XX

2. Steve Austin vs. Bret Hart - WrestleMania 13

3. Ricky Steamboat vs. Randy Savage - WrestleMania III

These three matches in my mind are principally how to tell a wrestling story and make it believable. Each one is about the underdog trying to overcome the heavy favorite, and whether they succeed or fail, it's about the story they tell in-between.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moon Bird

Villano69

Reaction score
I finally figured out my last. I went with CZW for this list since more non-wrestling fans may have heard about it then BJW and so.

1. Thumbtack Jack .vs. DJ Hyde (Cinder Blocks, Light Tubes, Syringes, And Fire) at Tournament Of Death VIII (If you know then you know)

2. MASADA vs. Masashi Takeda (Barbed Wire Ropes, Kenzans, And Flaming Glass) at Tournament of Death X

3. Jun Kasai .vs. Matt Tremont (Barbed Wire Ropes, Light Tubes, And Scaffolding Match) at Tournament of Death TOD XIII

These are great deathmatches. My deathmatch list would be very different than my "try to convert a non-wrestling fan" list. But my try to get someone into deathmatches would start with:

1. The infamous Necro Butcher vs. Man Man Pondo - 200 lighttubes where Necro gets that huge chunk of his arm almost ripped off

2. Jun Kasai vs. Ryuji Ito - Razor Board match 11/20/09. The deathmatch that won Match of the Year by Tokyo Sports which is legit a big deal in Japan

3. Drake Younger vs. Brain Damage TOD 6 finals 6/9/07. Proof that Drake has always been crazy, as he almost gets his nipple cut off and just tapes it back on to finish the match. RIP -BD. Sorry, couldn't find a link

4. JC Bailey vs. Mad Man Pondo - Barbed Wire Circus Deathmatch. The fight on a scaffold over a ring with a net of barbed wire covering it. The match is ridiculous, but just so insane. A must watch. RIP JC- what a loss
https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2014/12/iwa-mid-south-top-18-matches-17-jc.html

Reactions: Alexa

Alexa

Forever on Holiday
Reaction score
These are great deathmatches. My deathmatch list would be very different than my "try to convert a non-wrestling fan" list. But my try to get someone into deathmatches would start with:

1. The infamous Necro Butcher vs. Man Man Pondo - 200 lighttubes where Necro gets that huge chunk of his arm almost ripped off

2. Jun Kasai vs. Ryuji Ito - Razor Board match 11/20/09. The deathmatch that won Match of the Year by Tokyo Sports which is legit a big deal in Japan

3. Drake Younger vs. Brain Damage TOD 6 finals 6/9/07. Proof that Drake has always been crazy, as he almost gets his nipple cut off and just tapes it back on to finish the match. RIP -BD. Sorry, couldn't find a link

4. JC Bailey vs. Mad Man Pondo - Barbed Wire Circus Deathmatch. The fight on a scaffold over a ring with a net of barbed wire covering it. The match is ridiculous, but just so insane. A must watch. RIP JC- what a loss
https://segundacaida.blogspot.com/2014/12/iwa-mid-south-top-18-matches-17-jc.html

Honestly, not a bad pick there

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
New Jack vs Gypsy Joe
Samoa Joe vs Necro Butcher
Anything Abdullah The Butcher in the 70s.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Probably whatever is most praised this year or last. Def. the cage match from all out.

I'm probably in the minority but showing historic matches seems pointless because no one wrestles like that anymore. If the purpose is to convert id show them the best matches from today's era because that's what's now available

Sasha Bianca probably would be one

Last edited:

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
Walter dragunov 2 would be my 3rd . Or Britt v Rosa unsanctioned

Hoss

HELL IS NOT A MYTH
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
sting
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan3
Probably whatever is most praised this year or last. Def. the cage match from all out.

I'm probably in the minority but showing historic matches seems pointless because no one wrestles like that anymore. If the purpose is to convert id show them the best matches from today's era because that's what's now available

Sasha Bianca probably would be one
I don't know, I really think the spotty flippy shit is on its way out sooner than later. A lot of the young wrestlers you see nowadays are wanting to bring back mat work and grappling (look at Moriarty, Garcia, MJF, baby Steiner and The Creed Brothers in NXT, and I could name many more on the indies right now). Plus, the number of wrestlers nowadays who are just wrestling geeks like myself, you see a lot of them trying to mimick their heroes. Look at all the NXT kids who want to copy HBK. Hell, look at Darby vs. Punk and how they basically copied a Bret Hart/1-2-3 Kid match from the mid-90s. I think the principles of wrestling hardly ever change really, and shit that guys like Steamboat, Flair, Savage, Michaels and Hart did will always be relevant. There will always be outliers but, yeah.

Canadian Dragon

The Ace of WS
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
9Cf16sP
Favorite Wrestler
v9xmgrN
Favorite Wrestler
f0aLDLP
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
nock3cf
I don't agree the flippy shit is going anywhere considering Darby himself is likely to be a prototype of who young people will look at in the future, as will kenny, bucks etc just like guys like brock lesnar will still continue to influence things going forward.

i also think you misunderstand my philosophy on this and my thinking. The point of this thread is to convert a non-viewer. I'd show a casual the most excting matches possible with the most athleticism as possible because imo thats whats more likely to captivate a casual. we may enjoy technical master classes, but thats not something you show someone who wont be able to appreciate any of the nuances.