2016 NFL offseason thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

TheArabHammer

Don't call it a comeback
Reaction score
Only took like an hour to bang out a rough outline of how I would like to do things.

One main thing is how do you guys want to handle the waiver wire?

With 14 players and 19 rosters spots = 266 players rostered the waiver will be thin anyway.. would you want to do a bidding system for the waiver?
Base it on record, worst team gets first crack

Sent from my SM-N920T using WWE Forums mobile app

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Reaction score
Base it on record, worst team gets first crack

I hate feeling like good teams are getting punished on the ww tho. why should a last place team get first crack every single week? I prefer to go opposite of the draft order and just do it like that before inverse standings

TheArabHammer

Don't call it a comeback
Reaction score
I hate feeling like good teams are getting punished on the ww tho. why should a last place team get first crack every single week? I prefer to go opposite of the draft order and just do it like that before inverse standings
They should have drafted better. It gives them an opportunity to improve their teams sooner rather than strengthen already strong teams

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
I like the way we have been doing waivers. Punish idiots like Snow for having 40 waiver pickups before the season, reward the ones patient enough to only grab Jerrick McKinnon or another important add

Looking over the list I'm not sure of anything really worth changing. I personally don't mind tanking in real sports... but if it determines playoff positioning and such, that's some bullshit.

Personally I prefer a seasonal league on here - come on, our drafts are the best! :win: but trying dynasty is fun too

So 3 WR/1 Flex? May as well lol. Think we can assume if you're starting three RBs in 2016 you're either insanely lucky or tanking

A round robin tournament is a blast. G1 NFL style

.5 PPR? That changes everything. Damn. I like it though

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
Do you have a specific date you'd like to start this?
As soon as everyone checks in so I know they are still interested. BTW here is the rough outline of the rules, I'll have a constitution drafted before the Initial Draft:

A.) Members
These 12 members all made posts to express interest, plus the two of us makes 14.
1.) Dolph'sZiggler (Commissioner)
2.) Snowman (Deputy Commissioner)
3.) Senhor Perfect
4.) deth
5.) DK James
6.) Aids
7.) Just Kevin
8.) Pottsy
9.) Vice
10.) TNH
11.) Danielson
12.) CrayJ
13.) GrammarNazi
14.) ArabHammer

B.) Rosters
19 roster spots.

Starters:

QB
RB
RB
WR
WR
WR
TE
RB/WR/TE
DEF
+
10 bench spots. No kickers.

Roster Requirements. These are the minimum number of players you must draft at each position in the initial draft and keep on your roster throughout the season:

Quarterbacks: 2
Running Backs: 4
Wide Receivers: 5
Tight Ends: 2
Defenses: 1

Unlike most leagues where you redraft every year, or even keeper leagues where you keep a few players, in this league the idea is to keep the vast majority of your team from year to year and allow you to build it over time. You will be allowed to keep up to 16 players on your roster from season to season. You will have to designate at least 3 players to be cut, as you cannot keep everyone. The players who aren't protected will be added into the pool of players eligible to be drafted in the annual free agent & rookie draft.

C.) The Initial Draft
The initial draft will be held in a thread on this board. That draft order will be determined randomly by Fantasy Sports Random Draft Order Generator

The draft will be 19 rounds and 266 players will be selected. Trading of players who have been drafted and picks will be allowed, but teams must trade equal numbers of assets so all members come out of the draft with 19 players.

I don't anticipate having to put a time limit on picks or anything like that. I think most of us can try to check the thread a few times a day and for those that are genuinely busy af if they would be kind enough to give their #s to GN or another lovely volunteer to text people as it is their turn we can keep this running smoothly.

If a trade is agreed upon by both users simply post the details in the trade thread and tag the person you've agreed with and myself. Once the other party agrees to the trade in public it is binding and whoever is on the clock after the trade can proceed to make their pick.

D.) Waivers
This is one spot where I'm open to suggestion. Do you guys prefer to have a bidding system for waivers or a more simple reverse waiver order from the draft and when you use your waiver priority you go to the back of the line? Or should it be a free for all where you are watching a game and see some rookie from Wyoming suddenly catches a touchdown and the first person onto their phone can snag him? It really doesn't matter to me. I think a bidding system is intriguing, I've never done it that way before. I'll field opinions.

Whatever we decide, the waivers will lock after the season ends week 16. Note that while the waiver wire will shut down, trading is always open.

E.) Rookie/Free Agent Draft
Each offseason a rookie & free agent draft will be held. Players eligible for this draft will include rookies from that year's draft class along with any free agent veteran in the waiver wire that wasn't kept by his team.

*Every team is given at least 3 draft picks per season to draft rookies or free agents.
*Additional rounds will be held for teams who have cut more than 3 players until all teams are back up to 19 players. For example if I decide I only have 14 players worth keeping at the end of the season and I cut 5, I will have to draft 5 players from the rookie/free agent draft. If I'm the only person who kept fewer than 16, after round 3 I will simply select 2 more players.
*Picks are eligible to be traded at any point, including during the initial draft. While a rookie draft pick could be used as a "sweetener" so to speak in a trade, it couldn't be used to acquire a draft pick 1 for 1 because it won't be an actual player until next offseason and you must conclude the initial draft with 19 players.

Legal trade: A trades Round 2 and 4 to B for Rounds 3 and 5 + a 2nd round rookie/free agent pick in 2017
Not legal trade: A trades Round 10 for 2nd round rookie/free agent pick in 2017

I would caution everyone to be weary of being quick to trade these picks away because a top rookie pick will be one of the most valuable assets in the league.

The draft order will be determined by record with the worst team being given the #1 pick. Record will determine picks 1-8 with fewest total points being the tie breaker, while picks 9-14 will be determined by playoff exit and record/total points as the tie breaker.

F.) League and Scoring
14 teams
No Divisions

I'm hoping we can just have a 13 week schedule which would be a perfect round robin of everyone playing each team one time. Weeks 14,15 & 16 will be the playoffs between the top 6 teams. I decided 6 over 8 because its closer to the actual NFL's % of 12/32. This means the top 2 seeds have byes, which just seems fair honestly because with the randomness that is fantasy football you deserve some leg up in the playoffs for being a top team in the regular season.

Scoring is the D'Z special. Points and lots of em.

1 point per 25 yards passing
1 bonus point for 300 yards passing
2 bonus points for 400 yards passing
6 points for passing touchdowns
3 point bonus for TD passes 40+ yards
-2 for INTs

1 point per 10 yards rushing
3 bonus points for 100 yards rushing
3 bonus points for 200 yards rushing
6 points for rushing touchdowns
3 bonus points for rushing TDs 40+ yards
-2 for Fumbles

0.5 points per reception
1 point per 10 yards receiving
3 bonus points for 100 yards receiving
3 bonus points for 200 yards receiving
6 points for receiving touchdowns
3 bonus points for receiving TDs 40+ yards

D/ST:
Sacks- 1
Turnovers- 2
Safeties- 2
Touchdowns- 6
Shutout- 10
Allow 1-6 points = 7
Allow 7-13 points = 4
Allow 14-20 points = 1
Allow 35+ points = -3

G.) Things D'Z won't tolerate
Here's some shit I don't want to see.

Lazy owners: Set your lineups every week, please. If you have inactive players in your lineup, it will be addressed. Obviously we aren't all perfect, if it happens once, I'll graciously give you a warning and as long as you acknowledge it there will be no punishment. If it happens a second time, you will lose trading and waiver privileges for 2 weeks. If it happens a 3rd time you'll forfeit your rookie draft pick the next season. And if it happens a 4th time you'll march your candy ass out of my dynasty league.

Tanking owners: Now that there is incentive to tank for bad teams, I just want to make sure you all understand it is not allowed. I understand the situations that will lead to tanking. Come a certain point in the season it will become clear to some owners that their team is not playoff bound and the temptation to intentionally lose games to try and obtain a better rookie pick may be a thought that crosses some of your minds. Don't do it. I'll have my eye on you and if you have some wonky lineup decisions expect to be pressed about them and if you don't have an answer that satisfies my anti-tanking intuition you'll be red flagged. Once you are red flagged if you continue to intentionally try to shave points from your total you will be in risk of losing your first round rookie pick.

Colluding Owners: The last and most egregious issue I would like to touch on is colluding. This isn't for money, so it shouldn't be a real issue, but please, don't intentionally try to help other teams win. The most common time this happens is when one owner knows they will be leaving soon so they just help a buddy out, but you aren't doing anyone any favors. If you want to leave the league, don't feel bad, just leave. We can replace you.

Anything I've forgotten to touch on?

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I like the way we have been doing waivers. Punish idiots like Snow for having 40 waiver pickups before the season, reward the ones patient enough to only grab Jerrick McKinnon or another important add

Looking over the list I'm not sure of anything really worth changing. I personally don't mind tanking in real sports... but if it determines playoff positioning and such, that's some bullshit.

Personally I prefer a seasonal league on here - come on, our drafts are the best! :win: but trying dynasty is fun too

So 3 WR/1 Flex? May as well lol. Think we can assume if you're starting three RBs in 2016 you're either insanely lucky or tanking

A round robin tournament is a blast. G1 NFL style

.5 PPR? That changes everything. Damn. I like it though
You are right about the tanking. I don't so much hate the idea of teams out of it trying to lose games, but its the way it could effect other teams in the league that creates the bullshit aspect. If Team X wanted to tank in theory it is whatever, but when team Z needs Team X to beat team Y for playoff reasons it becomes some shit to let team X not try when Team X tried against team Y but suddenly is tanking against Team Z. Or whatever.

So nah, don't try to tank. I'll be on your asses like stank on @deth

I also agree with Snowman about waivers. If you just reset the waivers every week based on standings it takes all strategy out of the equation. If we have a bidding system or a rolling list that simply stays the same and if you use your waiver priority you go to the back of the list it at least creates some element of strategy.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Swift

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
The league should be run through NFL.com once again, but I'll have a google spreadsheet that will be updated to make sure we can keep things documented from season to season and during the offseason. Right now I'm typing up the constitution in a google doc so it will also be easily accessible for all. Both of these will be in my sig after they are complete.

I'm not sure if NFL.com will set up the schedule like I'm hoping. But we'll see.

Reactions: Just Kevin

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I'm changing safeties from 2 points to 4 as I go through this. Makes more sense. You are scoring 2 actual points + getting the ball, so its 2 points and a turnover, which is generally worth 2.

Reactions: Just Kevin

Dolph'sZiggler

Reaction score
I'm not going to break regular season ties. I think they are fine.

For playoff ties I will break them by taking the two top scoring players from each bench that could be flexed... so no QBs or D/ST.. just RB/WR/TE..

my reasoning there: if you do total bench points it is weird because we won't be dropping injured players like a normal league.. if you have Aaron Rodgers and he tears his achilles you won't dump him, you still need him for next year. Also benches could be a lot of prospects. And if a player has 3 QBs just taking the QB scores seems cheap.. but everyone should have at least 2 extra guys who could be flexed so it seems fair this way. If anyone has a better idea on how to break playoff ties i'm all ears as I work on this league outline

Swift

Alien Princess
Banned
Reaction score
This should have it's own thread so everything can be tidy and easy to follow. Anyway, I'm still in. I'll probably suck shit being a noob and all , so don't pick on me pls :'(