• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

2014 NFL Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Yup, he started off his 1st two years at University of Colorado and then went to NC A&T. He's got great reach and vertical jump. If he impresses in camp he could very well sneak on as one of the final CBs. In addition to being pretty damn athletic he's pretty damn smart to; could play out to their liking, he's got experience at a lot of CB spots as well as free safety.

Haha from how it sounds he should have been drafted, lol.

From a quick Google he and Jimmy Smith were good buddies from the Colorado days. That's gotta help your boy out lol

Red Rain

The Bully
Technician
At a time when the Johnny Manziel story should start to focus almost solely on football, some members of the Browns organization have turned it into another examination of his off-field life.

Mary Kay Cabot of the Cleveland Plain Dealer wrote a story, citing anonymous Browns sources, saying the team is "alarmed" by his actions since the draft. Manziel has been seen at various parties this offseason. The story said the team was worried enough about a photo of Manziel apparently rolling up a $20 bill that coach Mike Pettine told Cabot that he called the rookie quarterback, while the coach was on vacation in Hawaii, to get answers.

The Plain Dealer pointed out that tight-rolled bills are often used for drug use, although there was no evidence in the photo that's what Manziel was doing, Pettine reached out to ask him about it. According to the story, Pettine said he planned to address it again with Manziel face-to-face when he reported for camp with the other rookies on Wednesday.

It isn't just the one photo, either. The Browns sources who talked to Cabot said the team was promised by Manziel before the draft that he would tone down his partying, and the Browns have been "stunned by his non-stop antics" since they took him.

This is a big story for a few reasons. Cabot is one of the best and most respected voices on the Browns beat, so there's little doubt to the legitimacy of what she wrote. Also, take into account the timing and purpose of the story. The Browns knew the talk of Manziel's actions off the field would take a back seat to his quarterback competition with Brian Hoyer once training camp started. The Browns could have easily been quiet about their off-field satisfaction and let the narrative change to Manziel's progress as a player. The sources speaking to Cabot had to know how her story would play out, and they're likely aware that it would put the spotlight back on Manziel's partying on the day the Browns report to camp, when the media attention is high.

Instead of protecting their young quarterback, some sources within the Browns set out to do the opposite. It has been less than three months since the Browns took Manziel with the 22nd overall pick, and some within the organization are already taking a combative stance with the former Heisman winner.

And, there was a troubling football aspect to the story too. The story said Manziel "regressed in practice after the first week of organized team activities," and the team thinks he wasn't dedicated enough to learning the playbook because he was flying around the country and partying. The story said he has already lost ground in the quarterback competition before camp starts.

Manziel has tremendous talent, which is why the Browns took him in the first place. His partying became a big story at Texas A&M, and he still was one of the greatest quarterbacks in college football history his two seasons there. All of this might blow over because Manziel gets his chance in the preseason and dominates on the field.

But as Browns camp starts, the team's dissatisfaction with their rookie quarterback is in the spotlight. It seems like a message is being sent.

Source

Manziel fucking up his chances already... young, dumb, and full of cum. :facepalm1:
Nah. They want Manziel in the headlines. They want him to create a buzz. It's why he was drafted.
He was drafted #22, just like Brady Quinn and Brandon Weeden were. This will work out just fine.

pottsy946

The Architect
Hotshot
It's time to discuss what really matters with the Rice suspension.

Hey Pottsy: With your ridiculous league drafting already, what are you going to do with Pierce now that you have him? The obvious answer is "wait for someone to cut someone like Ryan Mathews and snatch him up" but assuming your league isn't Blue for a moment, is he even worth holding on to?

Dunno about Pierce atm mate, with Rice only getting that tiny ban it kinda devalues him for sure, but i guess if he has 2 good games he could be starting the whole season, it's not as if Rice lit up fantasy land last season, but it's likely to turn into a backfield comittee at best i guess

In the league I have him in, i hope he has two good games as gonna hopefully trade him at high value as they don't seem to genned up in that league having seen VJax, Maclin and Manny Sanders all get cut by owners

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
Haha from how it sounds he should have been drafted, lol.

From a quick Google he and Jimmy Smith were good buddies from the Colorado days. That's gotta help your boy out lol
Yeah him and Jimmy Smith were very tight from what he told me during his visit back here when I caught up with him.
Jimmy was probably a big part of them signing him after draft, unfortunately being at Colorado and NC A&T makes it kinda rough for him to get drafted as a standout.
We'll see what happens, he was a soccer player/basketball player but I think his build and athleticism should help out nicely.

Dolph'sZiggler

Biggest self-mark since Bret Hart
Indy Back-up RB Vick Ballard has torn his ACL.
Does this make Trent Richardson anymore valuable? personally I think yes, but I don't think by much :)
No. Scenario remains the same. Indy coaches desperately want Richardson to step up but aren't going to give him infinite opportunities like last season. If he falters again he will lose carries, now to Bradshaw instead of Ballard.

also expect them to sign another back now

Dolph'sZiggler

@Snowman since you were asking about research ima breakdown how I'm approaching it this season.

site shouldn't matter because you should have your own rankings, not rely on the default for any site. this way you can adjust based on things like specific league settings, your own personal preference, ect

I first started by ranking all offenses (for fantasy purposes) 1-32 based on things like how many snaps offenses run, yardage, points per game, coaching/personnel changes from last year, the teams' defense (shitty D means the O has to do more) ect ect

I then started with the #1 team, Denver obviously, and began listing each fantasy relevant player horizontally across in a spread sheet, factoring in expected roles, offensive scheme, run/pass ratios ect and it looked like this
(it always goes QB-RB-WR1-TE-WR2 and after that I list players in order of potential relevance )
Peyton Manning-Monte Ball-DeMaryius Thomas-Julius Thomas-Wes Welker-Manny Sanders-CJ Anderson/Ronnie Hillman

I color code the players based on expected draft position either r1/2, r3-5, r6-8, r9+ or undrafted

strangely no Denver WR is even on the radar as a 4th fantasy WR unless perhaps an injury occurs. Anderson and Hillman are in a camp battle for #2, but I doubt either is draftable with Denver being so high on Ball.

anyhow it isn't all that helpful when most understand what is going on in Denver, but it is very useful when researching the less fantasy-sexy teams and determining value

I can post my fantasy offense power rankings if you guys want to critique them

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Dunno about Pierce atm mate, with Rice only getting that tiny ban it kinda devalues him for sure, but i guess if he has 2 good games he could be starting the whole season, it's not as if Rice lit up fantasy land last season, but it's likely to turn into a backfield comittee at best i guess
In the league I have him in, i hope he has two good games as gonna hopefully trade him at high value as they don't seem to genned up in that league having seen VJax, Maclin and Manny Sanders all get cut by owners

They should make his suspension weeks 2-3, so getting his ass kicked by Burfict before leaving and coming back to face Kuechly is baked into the punishment.

*ahem*

Yeah for the majority of fantasy leagues this is going to be a really rough situation (not for you :lol1: that's just great) but "Starting Ravens RB" should have plenty of fantasy value in Kubiak's offense. Can't help but be reminded of 2010, Ben Tate is supposed to be starting and handed the reigns in Houston but was out for a few games with injury, Arian runs for 200 yards in the opener, and the rest it history. Maybe you still have an excellent sleeper on your hands? Or maybe he'll average 2.9 YPC again and oh how on earth are we even gonna make it to 8-8 again :downer:

Yeah him and Jimmy Smith were very tight from what he told me during his visit back here when I caught up with him.
Jimmy was probably a big part of them signing him after draft, unfortunately being at Colorado and NC A&T makes it kinda rough for him to get drafted as a standout.
We'll see what happens, he was a soccer player/basketball player but I think his build and athleticism should help out nicely.

Apparently at OTA's he was getting a good look across from Jimmy, running with the 1's and 2's. Your boy's got a legitimate shot up there it seems. And Seattle wanted to pick him up in the offseason, too...

@Snowman since you were asking about research ima breakdown how I'm approaching it this season.
site shouldn't matter because you should have your own rankings, not rely on the default for any site. this way you can adjust based on things like specific league settings, your own personal preference, ect
I first started by ranking all offenses (for fantasy purposes) 1-32 based on things like how many snaps offenses run, yardage, points per game, coaching/personnel changes from last year, the teams' defense (shitty D means the O has to do more) ect ect
I then started with the #1 team, Denver obviously, and began listing each fantasy relevant player horizontally across in a spread sheet, factoring in expected roles, offensive scheme, run/pass ratios ect and it looked like this
(it always goes QB-RB-WR1-TE-WR2 and after that I list players in order of potential relevance )
Peyton Manning-Monte Ball-DeMaryius Thomas-Julius Thomas-Wes Welker-Manny Sanders-CJ Anderson/Ronnie Hillman
I color code the players based on expected draft position either r1/2, r3-5, r6-8, r9+ or undrafted
strangely no Denver WR is even on the radar as a 4th fantasy WR unless perhaps an injury occurs. Anderson and Hillman are in a camp battle for #2, but I doubt either is draftable with Denver being so high on Ball.
anyhow it isn't all that helpful when most understand what is going on in Denver, but it is very useful when researching the less fantasy-sexy teams and determining value
I can post my fantasy offense power rankings if you guys want to critique them

Damn, bro. Way to go in depth!

Most decent fantasy players take the "BPA" on the board of on-the-site rankings based on the person they like the most, hence why for us not-so-in-depth guys knowing the league is so important to know "who's taking who where" to have a better idea where I'm drafting.

also with the mocks, it's also good to see players on your roster and visualize how you'll treat them (as much as you can predict, obviously) during the season. Like that one shitty draft where I took Khiry Robinson, grabbing any RB with upside I could. And I love the upside, dude's talented as all hell, but do you really trust the Saints committing Even if he springs off for a bunch of points week 1, I'd be worried about them "trying to resurrect Mark Ingram" or something week 2 and would try not to start him... so now I know to avoid him. But surely you go through this whole process with your predraft stuff without doing this.

(There's camp hype in Denver for Cody Lattimer in Denver as a 4th receiver)

anyway, back to your stuff, so to keep up we all should be doing stuff like this or fall way the fuck behind. Sounds like fun.

You're free to post those rankings if you want to, bud, thanks.

Dolph'sZiggler

I didn't mean there wasn't a 4th WR in Denver, just that they weren't going to carry fantasy value.

I'll try to remember my offense power rankings, they're at home and I'm at work

Dolph'sZiggler

broken up by tiers:

1 Denver
2 GB
3 Philly
4 NE
5 NO
---
6 Chicago
7 Dallas
8 Detroit
9 Cincy
10 Atlanta
11 San Diego
12 Arizona
13 Indy
14 Washington
Will it make your work day go by that much faster?
probably. it was tougher to remember the order that I expected. I'll post it when I get home lol

ShaRpY HaRdY

Main Event Mafia
broken up by tiers:

1 Denver
2 GB
3 Philly
4 NE
5 NO
---
6 Chicago
7 Dallas
8 Detroit
9 Cincy
10 Atlanta
11 San Diego
12 Arizona
13 Indy
14 Washington

probably. it was tougher to remember the order that I expected. I'll post it when I get home lol

Didn't think you would have Philly that high bro.

SF 49ers 1 out of their many RBs Kendall Hunter suffered an ACL Tear.

Status
Not open for further replies.