2011-2012 NBA Playoffs Discussion Thread

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Pau just made me want to run him over. I mean I've never wanted a guy gone this bad, but boy he is a fuckign enigma since he beat Boaton and declared he had proven himself versus his demons

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Getting my sig idea ready for you to sport as I didn't forget about the bet :p

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Ah shit I did. Let's go lakers lol

spiderman

Reaction score
OKC is just too athletic and lots of different weapons compared to the Lakers that only relies on Kobe during crunch time. There's no doubt, OKC will face the Spurs.

Killswitch

Reaction score
OKC needs to win and close this series out tonight before giving LA any momentum. As stupid as it sounds, I actually think San Antonio is a better matchup for OKC than LA was. LA has more size in their lineup than the Spurs. That size is one of the key reasons LA has remotely kept it close. OKC could easily be seen in the finals, maybe having the edge of winning that.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Sucks to watch but boy at least I saw Kobe, Pau, Ron, Steve, Jordan, and Devin fight. Fuck all the rest espcially Mike and Ramon. Mike simply got checkmated to start the 4th when he sat Kobe to start while Brooks put out his big 3 as Ramon and Steve were cooked. That flagrant still pisses me off though because it was only a flagrant for Rom Artest

Oh well, hope the Spurs win. I would love to see Phili v Indy as well sorta like a March Madness best of 7

Ben

Reaction score
LA needs to re tool in the off season, Kobe has 3 more years tops of high level ball to win won more title, but they need to get him some new pieces to do that. Still see Kobe winning another before LeBron. I honestly have no idea who to pick between OKC and the Spurs, really is a toss up. The East is the same for me, Heat will get past Philly and then another toss up against the Celtics.

So far though these playoffs have had some of the best games in years, really enjoy everything, good to have a showing like this after the lockout.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
It wa nice to see Kone dunk do much. Hell it was nice to see Ron play well. The thing to me is Bynum and Pau are both C's. Phil himself said it, Tex Winters said it, and Jerry West said it but they keep trying to make them fit together on both ends and they just don't click at the same time like they did alongside Odom

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
Tried to think of what would bother you to have in your sig for a lil while and this made sense enjoy

KobeCelts.jpg

SAL

Reaction score
[video=youtube;DEZNBQNStR0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEZNBQNStR0[/video]

spiderman

Reaction score
Tried to think of what would bother you to have in your sig for a lil while and this made sense enjoy

KobeCelts.jpg

Lol, nice edit. The green just doesn't fit Kobe. I prefer seeing him in Gold so my Celtics can beat his team again.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
New sig and user title

PHX

Legacy Member
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
cmpunk2
Favorite Wrestler
adamcole2
Favorite Wrestler
ajstyles2
Favorite Wrestler
braywyatt
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
samoajoe
Favorite Sports Team
n1QhWSb
Favorite Sports Team
osX2DVG
:lol: I'm evil I know was originally just gonna go with Nash with his MVP award but this seemed so much better.

SAL

Reaction score
Kobe would be an awesome sixth man in Boston.

Big Red Jericho Punk

Reaction score
Playoff thoughts from my blog The Uncommon One: One Year Anniversary Extravaganza

1. Spurs vs 5. Clippers- My original prediction was five at the start of the playoffs but it changed to sweep before the round begin. The Clippers just couldn't handle the all around play of the Spurs. I didn't get to catch much of these games due to the Champions League final and Over The Limit but I got to see the 4th quarter of each game. The series looked officially over after the Spurs went on a 24-0 run to erase a 20 point lead from the Clippers in Game 3. With Tony Parker being the catalyst that he's been all season with 23 points and 10 assists, the Spurs proved to be too much. They started to double team Blake Griffin after Griffin started out on fire early on dominating the paint. They started to surround and challenged the role players. That proved to be effective with guys like Caron Butler, Randy Foye, and DeAndre Jordan proving to be non factors again. Chris Paul was frustrated once again and went 5-17 in another tough outing for him. The Spurs know how to defend you all across the court with their scheme and make sure that Paul won't get any clean looks. They did get a spark from Mo Williams who had a nice Game 3 off the bench with 19 points but they never gave Blake Griffin enough support. They went on a major cold streak while Parker was finding guys like Leonard and Green open to hit big shots. Leonard was very efficient going 5 for 7 with 14 points showing that he's the future for the Spurs. Despite Blake Griffin's big game, Tim Duncan was right on par shooting 8-16 with 19 points and 13 rebounds in a big game. Duncan was just as good as Griffin with his crafty style and fundamental foot work in the low post. The Clippers look deflated after losing by ten in Game 3 but they didn't lay down in Game 4. Chris Paul finally had a huge game shooting 9-18 with 23 points and 11 assists. The game was very even for the most part with the Spurs being more careless than usual while the Clippers continued to get their role players involved. It was just another case of who can bring it off the bench with no sort of mindset of wondering how long they should play someone like Eric Bledsoe who scored 17 points off the bench. It looked at times like the Clippers wouldn't go down with a sweep but eventually the Spurs turned it up even without Manu Ginobili being all that effective. They were led by dynamic duo of Tim Duncan and Tony Parker along with a really good performance from the Spurs bench. They have been great all season and that didn't stop with three players scoring double digits in the points column. Ginobili was just decent but players like Gary Neal and Tiago Splitters. The Spurs know how to use their bench with all the depth they have in there while the Clippers head into another off season looking to make the next step.

MVP Of The Series- I'm going to stick with Tony Parker again even though Tim Duncan has a great claim. Parker was mostly the catalyst once again in the series and really out played Chris Paul through out the series. You can make a claim for Duncan who had some really bright moments but its tough for me not to take Parker. You could take either guy here.

2. Thunder vs 3. Lakers- It ended one game shorter but many people feel that it was clearly an over matched Lakers team. Lakers looked fatigued late in games and simply doesn't have enough depth. When they were getting drained, the Thunder were causing turnovers or getting on fast break to get easy buckets with pure speed to space the game out. The only full game I managed to watch in the last three games that I haven't covered in the last three games was the only Lakers win in Game 3. They were fired up even though it was a tough shooting for most of their players. Kobe Bryant shot 9-25 again but he saved his best for the free throw line going 18-18. It was vintage Kobe night where he wasn't accepting a loss no matter how bad he's shooting. Thunder shot 37 percent that game with all their role players such as Ibaka, Fisher, and Sefolosha all having poor games. Both Sefolosha and Ibaka make up for it with their hard work defensive forcing either Kobe into poor shots or not allowing Pau Gasol to really get involved in the game. The difference was that the Lakers simply made more stops and got to the free throw line. Other than Kevin Durant, nobody really stepped up in the end for the Thunder. Russell Westbrook had a nice game but with only two assists doesn't help the team get others involved. Lakers began to key on both main stars and James Harden shot poorly. That could be a recipe of disaster for the Thunder but then again that's with every team with role players. Role players are important to every team and the best teams have a solid role player core. That's why the Lakers and Clippers have been eliminated with ease because they either have no bench (Lakers) or too many ineffective role players (Clippers). Game 4 was a classic but sadly I only got to see highlights. The Lakers absolutely blew it getting outscored by 12 in the fourth quarter. It was the Westbrook and Durant show for most of the game with the players combining for 68 of the Thunder 103 points.

They both shot over 50 percent as well with the Lakers having no sort of answer. Metta World Power couldn't contain Durant's uncanny ability of hitting the outside shot or getting past him driving the ball while Westbrook had an array of Lakers guard him but their wasn't any answer to it. It was mostly a mistake free game other than the shot blocking ability of each team. Both teams went over six blocks in this game with Serge Ibaka having 5. He had a solid game all around with 14 points but the 5 blocks led to some easy fast break points. In the end though, it was another case of Kobe Bryant not really looking to anyone other than Bynum. Bynum had a solid game 9-15 with 18 points but everyone else either shot poorly or couldn't get involved. Pau Gasol really struggled to get involved with the offensive game plan most of the series while Metta World Power was limited in the series using most of his energy to guard Durant. In the end, it was Durant making the play over Kobe hitting a huge three pointer after a Pau Gasol turnover while Kobe missed a difficult three. The games were really fun to watch in this series so I made sure to tune in to Game 5 in 2nd half but I missed out on the fun for the most part. I'm not sure if the Lakers laid down or if the Thunder just blew them off the court but it was a combination of both. Gasol worked really hard in the game with 16 rebounds and constantly banging bodies down low but it seemed like the Lakers were finished and couldn't recover from the Game 4 heartbreak. Bynum was mostly a non factor with Sessions and World Power (I love that name for Metta) mostly being left out with Kobe's desperation mindset. Kobe took 33 shots and actually was efficient hitting 18 of them but they weren't going to win that way. Lakers bench was once again a complete non factor with nobody contributing and the Lakers never executed any kind of offensive game plan. I know that Oklahoma City is better but since Mike Brown is the coach, this reminded me of when he was coaching the Cavs and going up against the Celtics in the 2nd round. That was the last year for LeBron and in the playoffs, he started to take too many shots particularly jump shots and the Cavs were finished. The Thunder didn't do anything really impressive that wasn't expected other than out rebound the Lakers by 15. When Andrew Bynum only had four rebounds that were just all defensive, you know that he's not fully into the game. Bynum's size and talent automatically gets him at least eight so something had to be wrong. Thunder moved on with their version of big three taking mostly the scoring load with James Harden finally stepping up in the series scoring 17 points on 6-10 shooting. Thunder move on a game faster than I thought while Lakers go into another off season possibly thinking of blowing up their team. I think it's going to happen because the Lakers are too good to lose this easily in the 2nd round for the 2nd straight year. I'm positive that Gasol will be gone but possibly Bynum? It should be interesting Laker fans.

MVP Of The Series- This is another toss up but I'm going with Kevin Durant here. Both Durant and Westbrook had their moments of brilliance but Durant made more of an impact in the clutch. We saw it in both scrappy wins in Game 2 and 4 on how great Durant is in the clutch. He made more of an impact in the end of games and never really struggled in the series unlike Westbrook who was brutal in Game 2. Both players are playing at an elite level right now and if they continue to play like this, nobody is stopping them.

Lame attempts all around fellas to stop this man.

2. Heat vs 3. Pacers- I'm going to take full responsibility Heat fans that read the blog or even Heat bashers. I'll admit that after Game 3, I thought it was all over. Dwayne Wade looked gassed and tired playing like a shell of himself. The Heat couldn't buy a three pointer in Game 3 and they just looked completely over matched down low. After my pick of Miami in 5 (original prediction was a sweep), I thought Indiana would finish them in Game 6. That prediction took a complete 180 with the return of Dwayne Wade's all star form and LeBron James showing why he's the best in the world at what he does (classic line). The comeback started in the 2nd half of Game 4 with the Heat down by 8 in the break. Wade was still struggling from the field and the Heat weren't finding much help around LeBron. It seemed like another game doomed for failure and the Heat were going to lay down. It wasn't the case with the third quarter being all Miami and a 14 point differential with the Heat advantage out of that quarter. Dwayne Wade went 6 for 6 in that quarter looking like his old self by slashing to the room and hitting those difficult angled jumpers. He was working with LeBron on the quick passes for easy buckets that are known to be so effective. At one point in the game, the Heat's amazing duo had 38 straight points which is insane. Indiana had no answer for them and they also had no answer for their poor shooting. The backcourt really struggled with George Hill taking poor shots and Paul George failing to step up when needed with even worse shots. They got a nice boost with Collison off the bench who ironically was the only player that was doing anything in the 2nd half besides Danny Granger. Pacers stayed close during the game but the Heat proved to be too much even when they doubled Wade or James. It was also a breakout game for Udonis Haslem who has been struggling all season. I'm a big supporter of Haslem as a Heat fan and he's always been productive despite his limited ability. It was tough seeing him struggle that much with his mid range jumper that was so reliable over the years. He stepped up hitting three huge jump shots at the end of the game with one good eye thanks to an elbow by Tyler Hansbrough in the 3rd quarter. Haslem came up huge in the end to preserve the eight point win. The main story other than the return of Wade playing up to his ability and of course LeBron's 40 point game with 18 rebounds was how Indiana really falls in love with the jump shot far too often. They went 7 for 22 from down town but they also forgot to go to who's been effective most of the series. David West only went 3-8 while Roy Hibbert went 4-9 which isn't a smart game plan for Indiana. They won Game 2 and 3 based on dominating the paint and using both men to over power the undersized Heat core down low. Instead Indiana started shooting way too many jumpers and it cost them a game that could have won them the series. Instead momentum changed and Miami seemed to be primed for a big breakout Game 5 and it happened.

Last nights game was a joy to watch as a Heat fan with everything coming together. After struggling all season with his jump shot, Shane Battier came alive hitting 4-6 from three point range. Battier has always been a terrific on ball defender but he needs to hit those open outside shots because they will come to him. It finally happened yesterday and it could be a start to something. Indiana hung around early but it was another tale of the 3rd quarter. The games in the series have been won on 3rd quarter with most games having a break out team in 3rd quarter to really make the game wide open. It was the Heat in this one especially with Danny Granger going down with a sprained ankle. Indiana tried to go to their method of winning by using West and Hibbert in the post but they combined to shoot 8 foe 23 from the field. Miami rotating defense was on par for most of the night and forced Indiana into a 6-21 shooting night from three point land. Indiana looked out of it and never seemed to recover while Miami was running all over them on the fast break. LeBron had another terrific game with 30 points 10 rebounds and 8 assists. Wade had 28 points proving that it wasn't a one game fluke. Miami shot 61 percent last night which is impressive and they don't seem like they're stopping any time soon. They are in a rhythm right now especially with Anthony and Haslem playing much better. That could change though after Haslem dirty foul on Hansbrough which will probably merit a suspension. It should only be one game but I'd be shocked if he avoids suspension because it didn't look like he was going for the ball and it was a hard shot. The series is getting very physical but Miami is starting to dictate the pace after getting blown off the court in Game 3. The complex of the series can change in an instant and I should've known better before making that bold prediction that Indiana would finish them off. I think Granger will play tomorrow because a minor sprained ankle isn't too serious but I can't see them winning. Miami's defensive scheme has got them locked in and the dynamic duo is in attack mode. If they keep up the great shooting from three point range, this could be a blow out again. I'll be shocked if this series goes back to Miami.

MVP Of The Series- I can't find a toss up in this series for once because LeBron James has been off the charts. He's been productive in every game and has dominated the last two games. He's been put Miami on his back when called upon while not taking many poor shots. It has been fun to watch him play so freely and run the court because sometimes he gets too caught up in half court offense and taking mid range jump shots. He's not shying away from contact and not shying away from the new born tough guy look of Granger. I'm not going to get into Granger and his motto of trying to be a tough guy, but its pretty pathetic to say the least.

4, Celtics v 8. 76ers- I can't really get into this too much because I haven't caught much of either game (tough scheduling). I'm going to watch tonight's game since I'm free of all work. My small impressions from the series is that I'm pretty interested by it even though the last three games haven't gone down to the wire. It has been one team outplaying the other which has been a let down but that's basketball. It can't always be about last minute shots. My impressions from Game 4 was that Kevin Garnett actually had a poor game. Garnett has been arguably the best big man in the playoffs (LeBron has taken over the award for best player in playoffs) and he finally was off going 3 for 12. Boston couldn't get much going offensively with nothing coming from their bench once again. Ray Allen never got going while nobody on the bench stepped up. Garnett was the major problem in the game which was shocking because his shooting was down and had seven turnovers. A big man should never be anywhere near those numbers so I think it was a matter of trying to hard. Boston got great games out of Pierce and Rondo with a nice contribution from Brandon Bass. They all shot 50 percent but the rest of Boston was mostly invisible or struggling. They actually shot better than the 76ers ( 42 to 37) but they turned the ball over 17 times and got out rebounded by 14. 76ers take advantage with their athleticism and speed to get easy shots which was the case. They got away with an awful game from Evan Turner shooting 5-22 with just solid games from Iguodala and Lou Williams. It wasn't a flashy win and nothing to get ecstatic over as a casual fan but the 76ers took it.

Game 5 was a different story with the rise of Brandon Bass. Bass has always been a solid player that can hit the outside jump shot and be physical down low despite being undersized. Bass scored 27 points shooting 9 for 13 from the field. It was even more impressive that he got to the foul line 10 times even if he's a role player. If he can play on a level like this, Miami will have even bigger problems to deal with (Pacer fans its over). Rondo was his usual self with a double-double of his own. The 14 assists always play a big role in Boston games and they always seem to win when Rondo gets at least ten. They didn't need any big scoring game from Pierce and Garnett got back on form with 20 points on 8-17 shooting. It was a commanding Boston win by 15. Philadelphia actually shot well from 46 percent but Boston shot 52 percent while getting to the free throw line 17 times more. They got completely outplayed in the 2nd half by getting outscored by 19 points combined. The main scorers struggled to get much going in Williams, Iguodala, and Turner being frustrated all night. I had Boston in six games when the series started (original prediction had Chicago like everyone else would) and I'm sticking with it. Boston is the veteran team that always delivers even when they don't need the win. They'll end it tonight in what should be a very close game.

MVP Of The Series- It has been a pretty even series in terms of production but I'm going to pick Garnett. Other than Game 4, he's been terrific most of the series. His Game 1 performance of scoring 29 points and 11 rebounds was the main reason Boston slipped away with a 1 point win. The blowout in Philadelphia in Game 3 was captivated by Garnett's 27 points and 13 rebounds. He's been one of the main guys or the main guy when Boston wins. He's still playing at a high level and doesn't seem to be stopping any time soon. I can't wait for the Miami Boston series because I have zero idea what Miami will do if Bosh misses time in that series. I also can't wait for complaints that I'm writing off the Pacers and 76ers already. I'm sorry folks but even if either team somehow wins Game 6, they don't have much of a shot in Game 7. That is all, I think I've talked way too much basketball but that's what the playoffs do to you as a fan that has loved this since the age of 5.