WWE Women's Tag Title???

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
I hope not. More belts make belts less prestigious.

Crash

Reaction score
I hope not. More belts make belts less prestigious.

Not in this case, this is tag team titles for the women's division. Right now they only have 1 belt, having tag team titles on both raw and smackdown could help them get over.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
The issue with adding more belts means that the belts will mean less. The brand split in terms of belts and booking was a bad idea.
If they decide to add in two more sets of belts, SmackDown will have to become a 3 hours show and there are already issues with Raw being a 3 hour show.

I think if they did add these, they would have to go back down to ONE of each. So one main men's belt, one main women's belt, one set of tag belts for each, then the US belt, the Intercontinental belt, and the cruiserweight belt.

Crash

Reaction score
How is having tag team belts for the women making the other belts mean less? There is only 1 belt on each roster! It doesn't affect the other belts at all, those are the men's titles... I also thought that the brand extension was a bad idea at first, but honestly it's not doing so bad right now IMO. And while were fully in it, why not go all the way and try some new stuff? Add women tag team titles, I don't see anything wrong with that. People always complain how the women can't get over, now there's a rumor of adding tag team titles for them and people already complain...

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
How is having tag team belts for the women making the other belts mean less? There is only 1 belt on each roster! It doesn't affect the other belts at all, those are the men's titles... I also thought that the brand extension was a bad idea at first, but honestly it's not doing so bad right now IMO. And while were fully in it, why not go all the way and try some new stuff? Add women tag team titles, I don't see anything wrong with that. People always complain how the women can't get over, now there's a rumor of adding tag team titles for them and people already complain...

Time is the issue here. You add in two more belts, that is more time only focused on the belts. Consider the amount of time they have now to build up stories not involving any belts. They hardly ever make sense anymore because they have little to no time to build on anything. On top of that, the other feuds involving the belts suffer because they too have little time.

I will break down SmackDown since it has 2 hours per show. You have the main belt, the lesser belt, the tag belts, the women's belt, and let's add in the women's tag belts now. That is 5 story lines that need to be fixed into a 2 hour show. But wait! We get commercial breaks. So make that an hour and a half show. That means each feud involving the belts gets about 18 or so minutes each. But wait! WWE likes adding in useless segments and plugs for advertisement, so knock another 15 minutes off there. So that leaves an hour and 15 minutes which means they will have about 15 minutes each. Sounds good right? WRONG! Because they still have to consider the non-title matches. 15 minutes may be enough for a match/promo for some but that leaves little room for any character development if they are not going after a belt.

The brand split is fine if it did function like a legit brand split but it doesn't. A lot of times Raw and SmackDown do the same things with a slightly different twist and they often make it feel like it is one big show. If the writing and booking improved, 2 more titles wouldn't be a bad thing but it will be if they don't fix the problems they already have.

Crash

Reaction score
I disagree with almost everything you say, but whatever that's your opinion and I respect it... I just don't think the time is an issue at all, NJPW has too many belts for the time they have same with NXT and every belt still has meaning, that's not an excuse. Also during the invasion they added like 10 new belts(I'm exaggerating but you get the point) and it didn't devalue the other belts. I still think the tag titles for the women is a good idea, NOT saying the WWE will book it correctly and it's gonna work, but not a bad idea IMO.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
WWE doing it as they are is a bad idea, I am not saying never have them - Just now right now. They have to fix all their other crap before they attempt anything new like this that will be long term. Testing matches at PPV's like a women's RR, that is fine. Nothing is set in stone. They introduce new tag belts and muck it up, they can't exactly just make them disappear.

Solidus1

eXit
Reaction score
Get rid of the brand split first, then you have more women going for just 2 titles. SmackDown has 11 women right now, just 3 tag teams is 6 women leaving 5 for the other title and other roles. Not enough.

Crash

Reaction score
WWE doing it as they are is a bad idea, I am not saying never have them - Just now right now. They have to fix all their other crap before they attempt anything new like this that will be long term. Testing matches at PPV's like a women's RR, that is fine. Nothing is set in stone. They introduce new tag belts and muck it up, they can't exactly just make them disappear.

That's why there is just a rumor about "talks" of new titles... I think they know it's not something to just throw out there and just forget about it a few weeks later, I also think the 2 new stables that debuted on RAW and Smackdown might be a testing for a potential women tag division.

Crash

Reaction score
Get rid of the brand split first, then you have more women going for just 2 titles. SmackDown has 11 women right now, just 3 tag teams is 6 women leaving 5 for the other title and other roles. Not enough.

Well they won't get rid of the brand split anytime soon, I also hated it at first, especially hated the idea of having 2 world titles again. But I'm starting to like the extension and I think WWE is set in stone with it for a few more years at least. As for the number of women being an issue, I also disagree, I see a lot of women not being used and doing nothing. This could help them get over and stay under the spotlight and the men's tag division is also kind of limited, they have no problem being a good tag division on both RAW and Smackdown.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
Look...if the WWE want to introduce a set of Women's tag titles...then that's fine...

BUT...

They would have to be handled differently than any other title. In my opinion the
titles would have to "drift" between brands and be used to keep the women's
roster "fresh" by allowing them to rotate the ladies from one brand to another.

For example...let's say they hold some kind of tournament across both brands
and Sasha & Bayley win the tag titles. Being the women's tag champions can
then allow Sasha & Bayley to show up on SmackDown and defend the titles
against a team from SmackDown...whether its on SmackDown or a SmackDown
branded pay per view.

Then if Sasha & Bayley are defeated by say for example Ruby Riot & Sarah Logan...
Sasha & Bayley are then "locked in" to the SmackDown roster while Ruby & Sarah
"drift" between the brands.

This would give the WWE a chance to essentially "draft" two women at a time
whenever they feel like.

So let's say they want to move Tamina & Carmella over to RAW...because they
want to pair up or feud Nia & Tamina & Carmella is getting "popular" because
she's on Total Divas. They can simply set up match with the current champions
(again let's say Sasha & Bayley) at a SmackDown pay per view and do a title
change.

Tamina & Carmella can show up on RAW and you get to tell whatever story and
have whatever matches you want involving them and then Sasha & Bayley stay
on SmackDown and they could then build a 4 Horsewomen angle on SmackDown.

This also may come in handy later if the WWE do eventually book the 4 Horsewomen
War angle as it would be a way to get Sasha & Bayley on SmackDown & have all of
the WWE Horsewomen together in the build up for Wrestlemania and give SmackDown
its own huge & dramatic Wrestlemania angle without it distracting away from Lesnar vs.
"That Guy I Don't Mention By Name"

They could of course move Charlotte & Becky to RAW...and either way would work.

Of course the one rule would be that the RAW & SmackDown Women's Champions
could not compete for the tag titles...which would make sure each brand kept its main
women's title.

You could also use these tag belts to stage "surprise" open challenges which could
allow for NXT talent (The Iconic Duo) or returning superstars (The Bella Twins) to
show up at random for a tag match and also possibly get drafted/return full time to the
roster.

I think using my outlined plan would make a set of women's tag titles useful and help
keep the women's roster fresh & interesting...and if the WWE eventually feel they get
the balance right and all the pieces in place...then just leave the tag Champions on one
brand for an extended period.

That is honestly how I would book/use a set women's tag titles in the WWE at this
time...but...I doubt the WWE would get that creative.

It would be too much hard work.

Doxo

Moist Nephew
Reaction score
Right now, no. After the women's roster grows a bit, sure, it just feel like with 9 Smackdown women and 12 Raw women, it wouldn't be worth it. On top of that, I don't see any inter brand titles for a very long time

Then again, I said the same thing about a women's royal rumble, and look how that turned out

TheprofileofJericho

The Artiste
Reaction score
Currently, no. The rosters need to be much larger in order for them to start a women's tag division. Even if there was one title for both brands it still wouldn't work. It's an interesting idea but personally, I don't see it happening for a long time. Maybe in NXT at some point.

Reactions: Legit Legend