WWE Vintage show....

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Airfixx

(Admin: Not sure if this is better off in 'classic' section or not, seeing as it's a current show.... Also, if you deem worthy, can you sticky this thread so that it's ongoing like the rest of the TV show threads.)

Ok, I got a bit of a rep for being a big fan of 80's WWF, but I'm wondering how interested other peeps are in WWE's Vintage Classics show...

(I didn't know the show was in the pipeline until I watched SD on Friday... Anyone know if this is just a short series or is it gonna run n' run?)

Last night we saw:

The Rockers Vs Demolition w/Mr. Fuji
Undertaker w/ Brother Love Vs Jimmy Snuka
Randy Savage Vs Andre The Giant w/Bobby Heenan
Hulk Hogan Vs Paul Orndorff w/Roddy Piper

...and a welcome reminder of some of the announcers from years gone by - Gorilla Monsoon, Lord Alfred Hayes, Bobby Heenan, Sean Mooney, Billy Graham etc.

So...

Do you think it's a good idea?

Do you think the show has any worth beyond simple nostalgia?

Will you be watching?

What did you think of last night's show?

Assuming they won't be showing PPV matches, what wrestlers, fueds or whatever do you hope get's covered?

Anyone know if we'll be seeing a mix of 80's thru' 00's or just the cocaine n steroids era?

Anyone know if the matches show were excerpts from old TV shows?

1chiban

Reaction score
Interesting that they were all from MSG shows. Not sure on the TV show bit - perhaps. But they did have lots of MSG house shows back in the day. Personally I enjoyed it WAY more than any of current WWE output. Great to see some names from the past - Savage in his prime etc. I was pleasantly surprised with the Taker-Snuka match. i was expecting that really short one from Wrestlemania initially! Wonder if they'll all be MSG shows? I'm looking forward to some attitude era stuff too in future weeks. Didn't have cable TV back then so I haven't seen much of the TV stuff from those days.

Do you think it's a good idea? - Yes

Do you think the show has any worth beyond simple nostalgia? - Yes, as it will hopefully educate some younger fans perhaps (if they put it on an earlier time slot they they initially promised but did not deliver oddly)

Will you be watching? - Definitely

What did you think of last night's show? - Not the best wrestling ever but still pretty darn cool

Assuming they won't be showing PPV matches, what wrestlers, fueds or whatever do you hope get's covered? - I hope we get to see the Piper-Snuka match from MSG that is supposed to be a classic, which they showed on MSG Classics in the US recently, so I'm told.

Anyone know if we'll be seeing a mix of 80's thru' 00's or just the cocaine n steroids era? - Judging by Gene Okerlund's intro it'll go all the way up to the Attitude era

MikeRaw

Are you talking about the series on wwe 24/7? If you are, then no, its not a short series... They keep updating it... Same with the monday night wars. Anyways, once I find out if thats the show your talking about, Ill return and answer the questions you have...

1chiban

Reaction score
In the UK we are getting a show called 'Vintage collection' replacing Heat. It premiered last night and featured MSG House show matches from years gone by. I think the one on 24/7 is called 'Legens of Wrestling' right?

MikeRaw

Oh damn, well I guess my opiniondoesnt mean much then does it, lol.

But Ill try to answer the questions based on what I know anyways...

Do you think it's a good idea?Yup.

Do you think the show has any worth beyond simple nostalgia? I think it does. It certainly is an improvement from the jobbers of Heat. And, alot of people will legitametly enjoy it.

Will you be watching? Cant, but if I could, I would on occasion.

What did you think of last night's show?

Assuming they won't be showing PPV matches, what wrestlers, fueds or whatever do you hope get's covered?

Anyone know if we'll be seeing a mix of 80's thru' 00's or just the cocaine n steroids era? I dont know, but you could probably look it up on wwe.com... f that doesnt work, try wweglobal.com (their international site...) Anyways, it should be under TV on wwe.com, but my guess is it will be mostly the 80;s

Wrestling Station

I dont think that it should be stickied, there are so many stickied threads already. But let the mod of this section (Kaedon) decide about this. Its his call.

Airfixx

^^^If we have too many stickies already how about taking down some of the others... The 'current champs' one hasn't been posted to for nearly a year!

Didn't realise it was a UK only show..... Man, how sweet are we? ...Even VKM recognises! :smilie_gruenweiss:

addo

Reaction score
in the studio with gene okerlund on the wall behind him it had the ECW and WCW and AWA logos on it so maybe we get to see some of them.

1chiban

Reaction score
I think it's in Australia/New Zealand and some parts of Europe though - North America has WWE 24/7 so I guess they think that covers old stuff for them lol

in the studio with gene okerlund on the wall behind him it had the ECW and WCW and AWA logos on it so maybe we get to see some of them.

I noticed that too - that would be ace!

McLovin

Reaction score
I began to watch the first match and got bored with it, so id din't bother watching the rest. Bring back Heat imo. If wrestling fans want to see old wrestling they can buy DVDs, go on YouTube or Download it. I think the WWE should be pormoting new stars and letting wrestlers who usually don't get on the big 3 (Raw, ECW, Smackdown) on Heat, so they are stilla part of the WWE Empire.

Airfixx

^^^But Heat was achieving jack-shit on that front anyway, so it's hardly a loss...

(p.s. Still wondering why you need to make all your posts bold...?)

I have every commercially available tape from that era and I hadn't seen those matches before and welcome the chance to see some of the old fueds etc. which didn't feature that heavily on WWF TV at the time due to the way their TV shows were geared at the time (and the fact there were only 1-4 PPVs per year in those days).

I'd be severely dissapointed if younger fans couldn't give a shit about what came before, even if it is a rather prevalent attitude both inside and outside of the wrestling world... Whether you like the older style or not, that same mind-set of 'the past is in the past' would mean many 'un-educated' young fan wouldn't even stumble accross the joys of the Attitude-era, Hulkamania, Savage, Steamboat, Bulldog and a whole load of peeps who'd still get over today. (Or for all those still stuck on the peoples penis; just imagine a generation of wrestling fans not knowing about The Rock????? :gasp: )

Some wise man once said "If you do't know your past then you can't see your future"...

1chiban

Reaction score
Look, Heat lost its TV spot in America so it was internet only right? Only other places in the world got it on TV. Look if it was that good then US Tv stations would've bid for it and got it back on TV... ECW is the place for up and comers imo

Headfirst For Hardcore

Reaction score
I live in NYC, so this has been showing for the last 2 summers as "WWE MSG Classics" It's a really good show, I'm a fan of classic matches, and it really shows what WWE was like back in the day.

TheAnswer

Reaction score
what channel does it come on? I live in Chicago and have never even heard of this before I saw this thread.

Airfixx

Sky Sports 3 in the UK.... Dunno otherwise.

If I made an effort to post these each week in the media section would anyone that can't actually watch the show be interested?