WWE UK Championship Tournament [Discussion Thread]

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Night 1 was good, I enjoyed it.

- First off, I liked the set up for the show and the video packages. The crowd was good, as were Cole and Nigel on commentary. Oh, and that UK Championship is so pretty.

- Trent Seven vs H.C. Dyer was a rock solid show opener. ★★¾
The match lasted around 6 minutes and they used that time well. I'm already a fan of Trent Seven. He advanced with the Seven Stars lariat.

- Jordan Devlin vs Danny Burch was decent. ★★
Devlin is Finn Bálor trained and Burch was used in NXT as an enhancement talent. Speaking of which, Burch actually looked good here, much better than his entire time in NXT, he had the crowd behind him and he outshone Devlin here, tbh. The finish was a controversial mess, Devlin hit Burch with an Enzuigiri and cracked his skull open, which led to Burch lifting his shoulder up just at the count of 3. It ended up working, though, as they wanted Devlin to be a heel and Devlin played it to it well, he was gloating about a tainted win and then Superkicked Burch post-match.

- Sam Gradwell vs Saxon Huxley was OK, but skippable. ★½
Not much to say here, Gradwell advanced with a Diving Headbutt.

- Pete Dunne vs Roy Johnson was rock solid. ★★¾
Dunne was the superior worker here and I instantly became a fan of his. Dunne advanced in the quarter-finals with a sweet move called The Bitter End.

- Wolfgang vs Tyson T-Bone was fun enough given the time constraint. ★★★
I'm not familiar with either guy, so I didn't expect this to be a good match-up, but at the end of it, I was pleasantly surprised. It was different from anything on the show so far and these two big dudes brought some intensity here. That headbutt by T-Bone before the match started, though! :damn: Wolfgang advanced with a Swanton. He also hit a Moonsault, which was cool.

- Joseph Conners vs James Drake was decent, but underwhelming. ★★
The match never really hit a high gear and for a guy that was being praised heavily by Cole, he (Conners) has yet to impress tonight. He's got a nice finisher, though.

- Mark Andrews vs Dan Moloney was good. ★★★
It was a nice clash of styles, Moloney's alright, but Mandrews looked really good. He advanced with a Shooting Star Press.

- Tyler Bate vs Tucker was pretty good and MOTN. ★★★½
They've got the ME spot and man, did they make it count! What a good and fun match. Holy crap, that Super Duper Kick by Tucker! This was the best paced match on the entire show since it was also the longest and everything these two did felt more significant. Tyler Bate is only 19, but the dude simply gets it. He's got zero wasted motion and he oozes charisma. I'm already a fan of his. He advanced with a Tyler Driver.

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
Night 2 was 10/10. Perfect show. This will not be replicated this generation. Cannot be. Every match was great and the call-back storytelling was phenomenal.

Tyler Bate is stupidly good for being only 19. Once in a generation talent.

Pete Dunne became a worldwide star with this tournament. The entire thing was built around it and he carried it without losing a step.

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Yeah I almost called it for Tyler on the previous page. It was a combination of the announcers overselling the other favorites, his age (they can use him for 20 years), last match of the evening day 1 and probably match of the series.

And I have come around to the belt looking the best of the WWF titles. It looked good on the pedestal (literally on a pedestal),

None of the matches were bad, great amount of skill.

I liked them announcers using the term fans instead of WWE universe as well. I would be happy to see any of the wrestlers in a future UK show or in NXT or Smackdown/RAW.

It was fairly obvious Dunn was going to be in the final day 1 vs a baby face and from there a very likely babyface win (send the crowd home happy). That is important for a new event.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
I just finished it a little bit ago. It didn't air here until 8 pm.

Wow I loved that. Those matches are the epitome of wrestling. Short and to the point. Full of action. Awesome back and forth and amazing story telling.

I'm not going to lie, I was really hoping that Finn would have the match against neville. Although in hindsight it's good it didn't happen because they're both big names. And the only bad part about it is someone had to lose lol.

Grievous 3D

Is Currently In Stasis
Banned
Reaction score
I know this might be off topic a little...
but...
Its like this tournament was announced
and then bang! Its starting...and done!

Talk about "Smash & Grab"

I haven't watched any of the matches...
but it would be awesome if the winner
got a spot in the Royal Rumble.

Gman003

The Lunatic Fringe
Hotshot
Reaction score
You should definitely watch them even just day 2 if you want lol

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Wreslting With Wregret. He liked it.

Also commented on that good looking belt. Have I mentioned the belt before?

WhatCulture liked it as well.

Dunne came across as an evil bastard and when I watched it I was rooting for the babyface. That is rare for me with WWE events as normally I want Charlotte or AJ to win. I think his black mouthguard helped his heel thing as a prop.

So this is what happens when HHH gets to run things?

Last edited:

Prince Bálor

I'm kind of a big deal
Reaction score
Night 2 was freakin' great, I loved it!

Every match was good at the very least, the crowd was good once again, as were Cole and Nigel.

- Pete Dunne vs Sam Gradwell was good. ★★★
They worked well off of what happened at the end of night 1 and I was a massive fan of that finish. It made sense and played perfectly into Gradwell's back injury.

- Mark Andrews vs Joseph Conners was a good back-and-forth match. ★★★¼
Mandrews has been great in this tournament and deserved to advance. Conners was better than the night before.

- Wolfgang vs Trent Seven was a fun and good slugfest. ★★★½
Didn't expect Wolfgang to win, but he's been a pleasant surprise in this tourney, so no complaints.

- Tyler Bate vs Jordan Devlin was fun enough. ★★★
Devlin looked much better than the night before and Bate continues to impress.

- Pete Dunne vs Mark Andrews was great. ★★★★¼
Thoroughly enjoyable match, they tore it down and at the end of the match, both guys looked like stars.

- Tyler Bate vs Wolfgang was good. ★★★
Good match, but just couldn't follow Dunne/Andrews. Bate came out on top and everyone loved it. Post-match, Dunne attacked Bate and then Regal is super pissed. Gotta love seeing a pissed off Regal.

- Neville vs Tommy End was good. ★★★
Holy crap, Tommy End! I marked out. Also, I've been loving new Neville. A heel turn can do wonders for someone. Anyways, this was a good match with End getting some of his stuff in, and Neville looking good and winning, since he'll be challenging for the CW title at the Rumble.

- Tyler Bate vs Pete Dunne was a great ME. ★★★★½
What a great performance from both men. Both guys came out looking like stars. And, Bate winning and becoming the inaugural UK champ at only 19 is amazing!

All in all, it was a thoroughly enjoyable show.

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
The world is ending.

Jim Cornette loved it.

Michael Cole produced it.

Triple HHH and Michael Cole huh.