WWE TV Deal

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Ben

Reaction score
This week represents the final stage of TV contract negotiations between WWE and NBC Universal, reports the New York Post. If a deal is not done by Friday (February 14), the two sides are expected to part ways.

The Post added in a Sunday report that "pressure is on" for a contract renewal to be completed "in the next few days."

“NBCU has until Friday, Feb. 14, to respond to WWE’s final offer," an industry source told the Post.

WWE wants "two or three times" the amount of money they're currently receiving from NBCU for Raw on USA Network, Smackdown on Syfy, and other programming. The current deal is priced at $140 million.

In January, the Post reported that NBCU was considering a deal-sweetener to help build a WWE-themed Hall of Fame/attraction at Universal Studios in Orlando.

If NBCU's exclusive negotiating window expires without a new deal, WWE will be able to negotiate with other conglomerates. WWE wants to partner with one entity for all programming, which would allow them to negotiate their entire portfolio of shows, as opposed to one show at a time.

If WWE and NBCU split, NBCU would still have the ability to match any offer WWE receives from another company.

Still think they get a deal done. 400 million is a insane amount and I can't see them getting that anywhere. Probably compromise and get a increase just not what there asking for.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Not really that insane. They would be stupid to settle for 200 or less. They have the two longest running shows in history, cables number 1 rated show aside from football, and a show on Friday that garners ratings that beats out or ties the nba on a network with lesser markets. By every means they will get paid especially when you factor in Main Event and Total divas are tied in, as Main Event has more weekly viewers than Impactand even ECW toward the end of its run and Total Divas was the number 2 show on E despite Sundays when other reality heavy networks air theirs doing the week.

Viacom could pay ... Spike, VH1, Nick, TV Land, and CMT.
Disney could pay ... Espn 2, Disney xd, A&E, Lifetime, A&E
Fox ... FX, Fox Sports 1, FXX, FS2, My TV, Fox specials, the fact they've proven to draw for the UFC as a lead in

Someone will pay at least close to double what they are getting IMO. Raw, SD, Main event, Total divas, and even Satuday Morning Slam kinda ensures it. All 5 shows are up right now. If spike for instance chucked it up from years ago they can admit that they would become a top 10 network again with wwe, when they fell to the 25 range since they left and took Raw, Heat, the Velocity

This isn't 05 when they were screwed and USA had them by the balls. It isn't even years ago with scandals and issues. They get good press and all now. Worst came to worse, I can score them getting NBC to break the cable exclusivity clause to keep raw on USA, and then sell SD off to a Viacom or fox as well. USA has been the number one network since 05 when they came back, they ain't giving that up

Last edited:

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
I can see Fox making a play for them and I hope they do, theres tons of MMA/wrestling crossover as much as the two sets of fans hate to acknowledge it.

As a fan of both I'd love to see more crossover stuff as I think theres some untapped potential there, UFC using Punk as a guest panellist on their weekly shows, or WWE using Sonnen as a commenator on a B show like NXT would be fantastic, albeit unlikely to happen.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Spike isn't an option, Vince don't forget. Neither does Spike.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
Spike isn't an option, Vince don't forget. Neither does Spike.
Viacom puts up the right money, and spike itself won't matter. They said they were meeting with execs over all the sister stations of these entities months ago, not just dealing a one channel.

Spike dropped the ball with UFC and has fell off the map, if Viacom deems wwe programming can carry it and will pay, Vince and them will be cool. Same with fox if their exec decides MyTV will carry a show after the less than peaceful split they had too

EffectsofRaven

Reaction score
I don't entirely remember the Spike stuff; time I got into WWE, they was on TNN (which then became Spike?) and then five years later they came back to USA and made a big deal about it being their homecoming but what brought all that on?

Always, by the looks of it; big major American TV networks seem to be gunning for WWE right now; looks like Forbes was right.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Business-wise, WWE's being smart as fuck here. The networks want them unlike them needing the networks like it was in the past.

SAIYANS

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
batista2
Favorite Wrestler
dx
Favorite Wrestler
johncena
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
trishstratus
I don't entirely remember the Spike stuff; time I got into WWE, they was on TNN (which then became Spike?) and then five years later they came back to USA and made a big deal about it being their homecoming but what brought all that on?

Always, by the looks of it; big major American TV networks seem to be gunning for WWE right now; looks like Forbes was right.
They low balled them, they decided not to let them announce they were moving networks but Vince had commentary work in USA in about every damn sentence, and Viacom was a dick at the time and pushed sd to Friday as they owned UPN as well since raw/heat/velocity weren't staying around on spike.