WWE May Make Huge Change to PPV to Support the New Network

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
pwinsider said:
WWE issued a survey about their planned WWE Network launch in 2012 to select fans on their mailing list yesterday. Based on the following verbiage from the survey, one of the plans on board for the network (and this can ALWAYS change) is to move major WWE PPV events to the Network, where they would air, including Wrestlemania.

Yes, Wrestlemania.

The verbiage from the survey, which also features a number of other potential WWE network programming choices, reads:

"Imagine a 24-hour cable network that was run by The WWE. It featured a mix of WWE-made programs, including new shows, repeats of Raw and SmackDown from USA and Syfy and "classic" or "historical" programs featuring shows from different promotions like classic WWE footage, WCW, ECW, NWA, AWA, etc. from years past.

It would have two new weekly WWE live in-ring shows (wrestling), but not SmackDown or Raw.

It would have a daily live in-studio viewer interactive show similar to SportsCenter.

Additionally, this network would include WWE's "classic big 4" pay-per-view events including WrestleMania, SummerSlam, Survivor Series and Royal Rumble to the lineup at no additional cost. Rather than having to pay for them, they would now be specials with the same match quality you're used to seeing on pay-per-view for no additional cost. These 4 events would only be available on The WWE Network.

In addition to The WWE Network, you would receive approximately 30 additional channels including NFL Network, NBA TV, Biography Channel, Fox Business Network and Fuel TV.

How interested would you be in upgrading your service for an additional $7-$12 per month to a tier which would include the WWE Network described above?"

Based on the verbiage, even if the plans don't come to fruition, it's obvious how much importance WWE is putting behind the Network launch. You don't consider taking the biggest money making event in your calendar off PPV and move it to a network (albeit a pay-per-view network) unless you want to do everything in your power to make a splash and show the power of the WWE brand. Such a move of even a few of the major PPV events, much less ALL of the major events would create a massive change in the revenue stream of the company. Such a drastic move will change the direction of the company, forever, to one that creates, owns and distributes their own content, as opposed to one that provides that content for broadcast partners. It's a bold move.

One person I spoke to believed that the timeline of moving PPVs to the Network, if that actually comes to fruition, would be early 2013. It's VERY important to note that nothing is set in stone when it comes to Network plans and the company is just starting to roll out ways to brand, develop and market the Network. Getting clearances is going to be a very big hurdle to leap and there has been discussion of buying another "underperforming" network and re-branding it, as opposed to starting fresh, just for the clearances.

In terms of original programming, they are throwing out a lot of ideas and there's no guarantee any of them will ever make it into production. Here are a few we've heard in the last several weeks -

*The Big Show cooking show we wrote about yesterday is also a potential show for the new Network.

*I am told that a re-tooled version of the Santino Marella comedy pilot was also discussed.

*There's also talk of some sort of "horror-themed" anthology show that would feature one of the spookier characters (Kane, Paul Bearer, Undertaker types) as the anthology host

*There is talk of reviving an animated cartoon that was once in development for Rey Mysterio.

*A WWE "Movie" night featuring WWE Studios productions, potential made for network movies and other films featuring WWE talents that could be acquired. The Movie Night would be "hosted" by a WWE talent or legend.

*Some of the existing Classics on Demand material would transition to the network or be expanded, including the Legends Roundtable and Hall of Fame material.

*The WWE Hall of Fame ceremony and Wrestlemania AXXESS were discussed as potential live broadcasts for the network.

WWE has also reached out to several former creative team members to gauge interest
in working for the company in the Network end of things.

Interestingly, WWE has made no moves towards buying new wrestling libraries of late. I was told that the feeling internally is that it is more important to continue logging and digitizing the current library than it is to acquire new footage currently. Once the footage is completely digitized, it will be far easier to man the network.
It's going to be quite the journey to follow this Network from the conceptualization stage to its official launch, particularly the idea of moving major PPV events in-house as specials. It may be a whole new world in just a few short years.

WWE would be insane to do this with WrestleMania. WrestleMania brings in so much money through PPV and I don't know why you would move that. Moving a smaller PPV to the network is a good idea but not the biggest one of all. I get that WWE want to do all they can to ensure the network is popular but this is crazy talk.

With the other ideas for the network I like that they are looking to create some non wrestling themed shows as well but they need to remember that wrestling fans are the audience so it needs to be heavy on the WWE influence. A cartoon series is a must and I like the idea of some reality/behind-the-scenes shows as well.

What do you think of these plans?

Prodigy

Banned
Reaction score
Maybe they will still air the PPVs on normal chanels for those without the network? Also I like the idea of them creating two new wrestling shows.

Blujay

Reaction score
I agree that it would be smarter to keep the Big 4 as ppv only and broadcast the rest on the network. I'm really excited to see the network materialize. Its like every wrestling fan's dream. A channel where nothing but wrestling and wrestling related shows will be on? Its really a genius move especially if you have to special order the channel. People will be happy to pay for a channel like this. I know I will be ordering it.

John McHenry

John McHenry
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
dolphziggler2
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
chrisjericho
Favorite Wrestler
brianpillman
Favorite Wrestler
shaneomac
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Problem with them having 2 new shows that aren't Raw or Smackdown. Assuming they aren't turds like Superstars it only weakens an already weak product. Having PPVs on there for free increases the likely hood that someone actually buys the network so I could see them airing them free the first year or two and of course still sell it seperately on PPV. I still wonder what they're going to do to be relevant to the non die hard fans. Right now would I pay for this? I see no real need I can find most of this elsewhere.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Wouldn't it be smarter to do the big 4 as the PPV's and air the rest?

It would be much smarter to do it that way.

Maybe they will still air the PPVs on normal chanels for those without the network? Also I like the idea of them creating two new wrestling shows.

That is a really good idea and probably the most logical response. WWE will include the PPVs as part of the channel but then also sell the PPVs like normal to others. It would be a big discount to those that subscribe to the network.

Problem with them having 2 new shows that aren't Raw or Smackdown. Assuming they aren't turds like Superstars it only weakens an already weak product.

At least one of them will be something like Superstars but hopefully with a bit more meaning and some storylines. I see them doing something where they have wrestling every night of the week with RAW and Smackdown on other channels and then new shows on their network on the other nights.