WWE loses out on deal to acquire G4

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
NO DQ.com

NBC Universal announced the re-branding and makeover of its G4 television network into “The Esquire Channel” earlier today. NBC will be teaming with Esquire magazine to launch “an upscale Bravo for men.” This is significant as both WWE and UFC tried to purchase the network and re-brand it for their respective companies. As reported earlier last year, WWE was hoping to acquire G4 to launch the WWE Network. The idea was it would guarantee them significant distribution with already acquired clearances.

I'm kinda bummed G4 is going down the drain considering it was the best television network for video gamers. Not sure what Esquire plans on doing with it, but a WWE or UFC network might have been a good consolation. I'm sure UFC was much higher in the running than WWE was anyways.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige
UFC was probably out the running now they have the Fox deal.

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
An upscale Bravo for Men? That's the gayest thing since wrestling.

Reactions: 1 person

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
It looks like Directv are WWE's best option now for the Network other than just offering it online. Would have been a smart move if they could have simply bought G4 and rebranded it rather than having to start from scratch

Kiffy Lube

Girls Just Wanna Have Fun
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
Favorite Wrestler
lowki
I never expected WWE to be a channel like G4 was though, Troy. I was expecting it to be something like the NFL network or the MLB network which is something extra you'd have to pay more for. I don't know if you'll get what I'm saying there, I'm not sure how those channels are in Australia if they even exist down there.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
I never expected WWE to be a channel like G4 was though, Troy. I was expecting it to be something like the NFL network or the MLB network which is something extra you'd have to pay more for. I don't know if you'll get what I'm saying there, I'm not sure how those channels are in Australia if they even exist down there.

This is more like what I expecting tbh. NFL Network can be repetitive, but it's excellent for NFL fans. The only issue is that there is a lot less going on in the WWE than the NFL, so it would be interesting to see how they filled their daily programming.

I don't think it would work as an online gig though, at least not in the way it sounds like they want to do it. Seems like it's going to be catered to die hard WWE fans who seriously can't go a day without their fix.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy

We don't really have pay per channels down here, we just have one paytv provider and they have seperate packages on that.

I do get what you are saying though with having WWE as an extra channel on a main cable provider. I just think that if they bought G4 it would already have all the basics set up and all the affiliates set up as well so it would make it easier to get it going. If they did do that they would have needed some outside products as well to fill the gaps though as I don't think they would have had the audience to maintain the cost of a network like that.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
For fuck sake! Stay away from G4 I mean what would they have done with it? What would happen if video gamers(like myself) couldn't watch our shit.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
For fuck sake! Stay away from G4 I mean what would they have done with it? What would happen if video gamers(like myself) couldn't watch our shit.
Well you better get used to it because it's practically on life support right now.

We Are Legion

║▌║█║▌||| ║▌║▌█ ║█║║▌||
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
stonecold2
Favorite Wrestler
ricflair
Favorite Wrestler
jbl2
Favorite Wrestler
randysavage
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
It's kind of sad, that was literally where I got all my info for video games and movies and such. Attack of the Show is still awesome.
Agreed. Their game reviews were pretty sweet. Definitely going to miss Olivia Munn, she's pretty awesome on that channel.

Really surprised another video game entity didn't buy them out, like IGN or GameInformer. That could have been huge for the video game world and a lot of things would have likely stayed the same. With this Esquire deal, I'm expecting a poor man's Spike TV.

Rated R Superstar

Reaction score
Agreed. Their game reviews were pretty sweet. Definitely going to miss Olivia Munn, she's pretty awesome on that channel.

Really surprised another video game entity didn't buy them out, like IGN or GameInformer. That could have been huge for the video game world and a lot of things would have likely stayed the same. With this Esquire deal, I'm expecting a poor man's Spike TV.

Yeah, that Bravo for men comment was kind of stupid. No guy is going to watch something really gay. IGN would definitely be s good choice to buy them out.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Upscale mens channel, sounds pertty ghey.

Better hire Sara Underwood, or this will fail.