WWE interested in NJPW Star

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Weez

Reaction score
Since when is being under contract with the biggest promotion in Japan "indy"? That doesn't make any sense.

The move is fine as well, and actually suits someone who is around that weight. You can't have heavy wrestlers doing moves like that because they'd probably hurt their opponent and break their ankles in the process.

Really? Not to sound like Cork but you dont' look at this guy and say "Indy"? Cmon, take your rose colored glasses off lol.

No, the move isn't fine. It's like the Indy version of a headlock. Everyone does it. The difference is a headlock looks like it probably hurts. This double stomp thing is done so poorly so often, it doesnt' look like it would hurt, which is the whole POINT of doing a move to someone else in wrestling, to make it look believable.

To make it believable, they'd actually have to risk hurting their opponent. Thus, it is a shit move. Logic.

Gimmick

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
danielbryan2
Favorite Wrestler
hhh
Really? Not to sound like Cork but you dont' look at this guy and say "Indy"? Cmon, take your rose colored glasses off lol.

No, the move isn't fine. It's like the Indy version of a headlock. Everyone does it. The difference is a headlock looks like it probably hurts. This double stomp thing is done so poorly so often, it doesnt' look like it would hurt, which is the whole POINT of doing a move to someone else in wrestling, to make it look believable.

To make it believable, they'd actually have to risk hurting their opponent. Thus, it is a shit move. Logic.

Well yeah, he as a certain look of someone you'd see on the indie scene but you're making it out as if he's indie because of it. You're only indie if you're and indie wrestler.

I think he does it well. Sometimes he'll make one foot touch the mat first when doing it but for the most part he can pull it off in a believable manner and make it look effective. Some people are bad at doing it, but I don't think he is.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
So is WWE going to restart their mini's division?

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Heard a lot about him but haven't seen much of his work since he is based in Japan. He is highly rated over there but I don't know if he would fit in WWE, might take an Evan Bourne type role. If they had a cruiserweight division he would be a good signing.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Heard a lot about him but haven't seen much of his work since he is based in Japan. He is highly rated over there but I don't know if he would fit in WWE, might take an Evan Bourne type role. If they had a cruiserweight division he would be a good signing.

Why? They got Rey Mysterio over as a top draw and he is smaller than Devitt.

Am with you all the way Gimmick, the move always looks good to me besides its not its his finishing move.

Unlike a guy like Pac who comes of too much like a gymnast at times Devitt actually paces his matches well and can work a crowd as well as doing great moves.

The Cork

Banned
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
scottsteiner
Favorite Wrestler
brocklesnar
Favorite Wrestler
carlito
Favorite Wrestler
goldburg
Favorite Wrestler
jakeroberts
Favorite Wrestler
paige

Sorry but that quote annoys me so much. Rey has a brilliant look and is one of the GOAT cruiserweights. Don't ever compare Rey to this bum as if he is his equal.

Devitt guy has nothing about him at all. Might very well be a fantastic ring technician but what do you think gets over more, the guy who can do 500 mat submissions or the guy who nearly kills himself via flips.

Spotmonkeys are far more entertaining than your run of the mill indy guy with a generic create-a-wrestler look.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Sorry but that quote annoys me so much. Rey has a brilliant look and is one of the GOAT cruiserweights. Don't ever compare Rey to this bum as if he is his equal.

Devitt guy has nothing about him at all. Might very well be a fantastic ring technician but what do you think gets over more, the guy who can do 500 mat submissions or the guy who nearly kills himself via flips.

Spotmonkeys are far more entertaining than your run of the mill indy guy with a generic create-a-wrestler look.

Yes but I am guessing that someone like you probably thought that Rey was one of those run of the mill indy types that could never get over in WWE before he actually did. And I didn't realise that you could tell one indy guy from the next, I'm amazed! Devitt is a high flyer too its just that he does the technical also.

Chris

Dreams are Endless
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
tLCb5kv
Favorite Wrestler
OEndG4L
Favorite Wrestler
ArsUxsj
Favorite Wrestler
mrperfect2
Favorite Wrestler
eelOIL6
Favorite Wrestler
BryanDanielson1
Favorite Sports Team
sfa
Favorite Sports Team
dallascowboys
Favorite Sports Team
sanantoniospurs
Favorite Sports Team
texasrangers
Yes but I am guessing that someone like you probably thought that Rey was one of those run of the mill indy types that could never get over in WWE before he actually did. And I didn't realise that you could tell one indy guy from the next, I'm amazed! Devitt is a high flyer too its just that he does the technical also.

Really doubt this actually because Mysterio was always in a class of his own, even in WCW with all the other masked guys.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
Like Cork said, comparing Rey Mysterio to any other high flyer is like comparing Mick Foley to Necro Butcher.

Devitt doesn't have a character, he doesn't need one where he is. Ring skill doesn't make you great, it just makes you a utility guy who makes others and not themselves. You need a totla package, and that is selling, promos, or if no promos, physical charisma mixed in with a good look. Ring skill really isn't what sells tickets, it's what sends people home happy, but it doesn't sell tickets.

Troy

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy
Favorite Wrestler
wherestroy

Am with you all the way Gimmick, the move always looks good to me besides its not its his finishing move.

Unlike a guy like Pac who comes of too much like a gymnast at times Devitt actually paces his matches well and can work a crowd as well as doing great moves.

Mysterio has a decade and a half of "supplements" to make him look like a minature bodybuilder. Mysterio has a huge build for a little guy, Neville has the same thing going for him, whereas Devitt just looks like a small guy. He is in shape but it looks like he is all natural. I just struggle to see a role for him in WWE but of course things can change.

Keith

WCW Halloween Phantom
Reaction score
Really doubt this actually because Mysterio was always in a class of his own, even in WCW with all the other masked guys.

But WCW were a national company, of course the Indy knockers would take him serious then they were kicking WWF's arse at the time.

I am not comparing Devitt to Mysterio I am using a analogy if you want a better one I will use Benoit yes I know he jacked his body up in WWF/WWE but he didn't in WCW and people still cheered for him there also I don't think the jacked up body had much to do with his WWE success, another example is Eddie he got over big time, then you have Jericho, and back in the 80s the Dynamite Kid these are all guys who looked like your stereotypical indy guy and yet all got over in WWF/E.

Don't forget also that in the 80s and for most of the 90s WWF got most of their top talent from indy promotions so if there is one fact that proves the indy haters wrong right there its that fact. And one of the reasons WWE have struggled building new stars for the past ten years is because they have used that route so much many of the guys and girls they have trained don't have the same experience of working in front of crowds and working different styles in order to mix things up.

Deezy

DZ PZ
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
brethart2
Favorite Wrestler
newjack
Favorite Wrestler
ddp
Favorite Wrestler
therock
Favorite Wrestler
nwo
Favorite Wrestler
wolfpac
[MENTION=39]Keith[/MENTION] I'm sure WCW was beating WWF because of their cruiserweights, not the nWo at all. lol

And Benoit got his fridge physique in 98 and was always on the gas since New Japan, lrn2lrn.

And comparing the old territories to Indies is just ludicrous imo, like comparing commnity college to a university.

lol WWE hater.

Weez

Reaction score
But WCW were a national company, of course the Indy knockers would take him serious then they were kicking WWF's arse at the time.

I am not comparing Devitt to Mysterio I am using a analogy if you want a better one I will use Benoit yes I know he jacked his body up in WWF/WWE but he didn't in WCW and people still cheered for him there also I don't think the jacked up body had much to do with his WWE success, another example is Eddie he got over big time, then you have Jericho, and back in the 80s the Dynamite Kid these are all guys who looked like your stereotypical indy guy and yet all got over in WWF/E.

Don't forget also that in the 80s and for most of the 90s WWF got most of their top talent from indy promotions so if there is one fact that proves the indy haters wrong right there its that fact. And one of the reasons WWE have struggled building new stars for the past ten years is because they have used that route so much many of the guys and girls they have trained don't have the same experience of working in front of crowds and working different styles in order to mix things up.

When Rey got Jacked, he got the title. Same for Benoit. Same for Eddie. Look at how small he was when he debuted with the Radicals vs when he won the strap.

And Deezy is way ahead of me on the "80s and 90s Indies" things. That was the Territory Days. if this was 1988, TNA would be about the 4th or 5th most popular Fed, and would be happy with that. ROH is about the most "Territory" style Indy nowadays. They tour their little part of the US, turn a profit and have a TV deal. They'd be more like it if they had like 16 Michael Elgins that were 6 inches taller.