WWE gimmicks that would have done better in the 80's or 90's

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
Looking at the current line up of gimmicks, what are some that you think would have worked better in the 80's or 90's?
This is for current wrestling WWE superstars. You can focus on men, women, or do one/few from each.

200.gif

I will start off by saying Dolph's gimmick would have been better in the 90's I feel like there were more wrestlers with this gimmick then and it would have been easier to get him over. I know a lot of his issues had to do with people getting bored of him. I never "hated" his character, I kind of enjoyed him for awhile but I can see why people lost interest fast.

Reactions: The Phenom

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Bray Wyatt in the 90's. A creepy cult-leader. Worked with 'Taker, and Bray does well with it minus booking...

Reactions: Solid Snake

The Phenom

Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
undertaker
Favorite Wrestler
shawnmichaels
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
1m1d5Ur
Favorite Wrestler
dx
"The Lunatic Fringe" Dean Ambrose: His character would have been way better in the 90's The usage of chairs, blood, and crazy ass storylines he would have been like A joker in Gotham or a kid in a candy store!

Reactions: Smg and Solid Snake

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Looking at the current line up of gimmicks, what are some that you think would have worked better in the 80's or 90's?
This is for current wrestling WWE superstars. You can focus on men, women, or do one/few from each.

200.gif

I will start off by saying Dolph's gimmick would have been better in the 90's I feel like there were more wrestlers with this gimmick then and it would have been easier to get him over. I know a lot of his issues had to do with people getting bored of him. I never "hated" his character, I kind of enjoyed him for awhile but I can see why people lost interest fast.

Dolphs gimmick would never work because it's just a rip off of HBK.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
I honestly think most gimmicks are ripoffs of older ones so when you have a dean ambrose, you have a crazy Brian Pillman. Where you have Dolph, you have the original HBK. Wyatt though would have done really well in the Attitude Era. And on the flip side, I think Bret Hart would be pretty good now that the focus is more on wrestling.

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
I honestly think most gimmicks are ripoffs of older ones so when you have a dean ambrose, you have a crazy Brian Pillman. Where you have Dolph, you have the original HBK. Wyatt though would have done really well in the Attitude Era. And on the flip side, I think Bret Hart would be pretty good now that the focus is more on wrestling.

For the most part this is true. Some can be exactly like past wrestlers or a combo of a few different ones. I think it is hard to make a completely new idea in this day and age when it comes to gimmicks.

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
A few of the classic wrestlers also ripped heir gimmicks off older wrestlers pre WMI that most people have not heard of.

The Ascenscion (80's)
Rusev (80's/early 90's)

Zardnaar

The Showoff
Reaction score
Note few legends ripped off even older wrestlers. Ric Flair for example.

Think about it how hard is it to come up with an original gimmick now and get it over? Even if you get it over its probably not that original.

In a way Jericho and Matt Hardy are better than Taker, Hogan etc who have basically done one thing (taker to be fair had variations on the dead man),

SWL

ur booty is heavy duty like diarrhea
Hotshot
Reaction score
honest to god, I can't think of anyone. The ones that have been mentioned are basically just inspired by the older ones, which doesn't mean that they'd do better but moreso just act like a cheap copy of what was already there. Like Roode/Flair, Ziggler/Michaels, Ambrose/Pillman, Velveteen Dream/Rick Rude, Wyatt/Taker or Rusev/every foreigner comparisons, they are just that.. comparisons. Saying that someone with an original character that we have never seen before would do better in a different era is really tough and I don't really think that any of our current guys would do an other era any good.

Maybe Sheamus, he seems to have that ridiculous wrestler look of the 80s whilst also having the ability scream a bunch of nonsensical "fella" catchphrases into a mic. He doesn't do too much flashy shit in the ring and keeps it more down to earth and basic with his move set, so I'm not saying that he'd be one of the top guys there but he'd definitely be more over on his own than what he'd be now without Cesaro

Reactions: RedDwarfTechy

Crash

Reaction score
Damien Sandow
Heath Slater
Jinder Mahal