WWE doesn't care about longterm storytelling?

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

Koko B.

The Lunatic Fringe
Reaction score
They feel the need to show the same highlight 10x on any episode, in case we forgot what happened 20 minutes ago. They'd never keep up with a long term story.

RedDwarfTechy

WWEF's Resident Hologram
Reaction score
I think storylines in general have gone away from WWE, other than Bray Wyatt/Undertaker etc. Storylines are more 'I'm better than you' nowadays like with AJ and Cena than it is narrative storytelling. It's more 'athletic' storytelling than 'narrative' I guess.

I don't mind that either, but 9/10 the wrestling isn't good enough to make me bother watching. I mean with the roster they have now, they should be having amazing matches but Raw is all 'Ooooooh Ahhhh' - Spear - Win - Repeat and SDLive seems to be kinda lost in where to go with the a lot of its talent. AJ being an example.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Leading up to Wrestle mania, there was plenty of long term storylines. Triple H vs Rollins, Orton vs Wyatt, Owens vs Jericho, Goldberg vs Lesner were all spread out long term storylines that were months in the making.

After Wrestle mania, there hasn't been hardly any long term storylines leading up to Summerslam. I can't really judge though because since we live in an age of people with much short attention spans, it makes sense for WWE to focus on just creating "big moments" because it's more of an instant gratification.

Alot of people, including myself get bored with these long term storylines that WWE is trying to do right now because there's not much substance in them. Dean Ambrose vs The Miz or Seth Rollins vs Samoa Joe are good examples. These feuds just become so boring and I want to see them do something else

Solid Snake

Champion
Reaction score
If they take away the story telling they remove a lot of the drama.

They wonder why people are bored to tears with their product?

I need a good story to feel invested in a match. This is likely why WWE has grown stale for me.

TheArabHammer

Don't call it a comeback
Reaction score
Think about the long term builds that were quite memorable like Sting finally getting his hands on Hogan at Starrcade and the impact that made when you saw them finally toe to toe. It's rare nowadays where you get that kind of big match feel regardless of dirt sheets and spoilers. Yeah it's probably because we don't have the patience we used to have as well as needing that long term build due to the Monday night wars to keep people drawn in. Vince knows what he's doing by catering to the younger fan base who are used to having instant gratification. Us older fans go by the wayside yet we find ourselves still watching in hopes things change back to what made us as young wrestling fans be captivated and wanting more every single week. Can a slow burn feud work in today's WWE sure, but it may not have the same feel of those storylines of before.

Reactions: Nikki Nitro

Snowman1

Chillin' with the snowmies.
Reaction score
Yeah but they're not exactly delivering big moments either

Wrasslemaniac

The Showoff
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
It feels like this past Wrestlemania they had built stories going into it but since then there's just nothing going on other than "quick feuds" or feuds like Miz vs Ambrose which are just going on and on and on. I don't really watch Raw or Smackdown these days (live, highlights shows or on demand), getting the notifications from the WWE App is enough to then just go read up on the parts I want to. Same goes with PPVs, i find that post-wrestlemania I'm just watching the parts I want to (for example Mens money in the bank match). There just isn't enough going on right now to make me go "I must watch [insert show name]", however I will watch probably most of Balls for Joe vs Lesnar and Braun vs Roman and when Summerslam comes round again if the card is good I'll probably watch most of the show

Tom Colohue

The Artiste
Reaction score
Website
www.theartisticresponse.com
Former writers are always going to crap on the current product because they want it to seem like they were what made it good. Titus Brand is long term storytelling. Carmella/Ellesworth is long term storytelling. Looking at how Becky Lynch is developing is long term storytelling. Wyatt and Orton was an 8 month storyline.

They're talking crap, basically.

Mr. Roman Empire

The Game
Main Eventer
Reaction score
Former writers are always going to crap on the current product because they want it to seem like they were what made it good. Titus Brand is long term storytelling. Carmella/Ellesworth is long term storytelling. Looking at how Becky Lynch is developing is long term storytelling. Wyatt and Orton was an 8 month storyline.

They're talking crap, basically.

Agreed. It seems like most feud always last about a few months. We always see rematch after rematch

Reactions: Tom Colohue

Stopspot

Now I’m a big, fat dynamo!
Reaction score
The last time WWE did proper longterm storytelling was the Daniel Bryan storyline leading into Wrestlemania 30, where they spent an entire year building the guy up basically. And the end result was one of the best Wrestlemania's of the modern day.

Right now they "do" long term storytelling but it is pretty clear they don't care or put effort into stuff. Calling the Titus brand "long term storytelling" is like calling cup ramen a full course meal. It's a cheap, fast and easily put together substitute.

I don't expect every storyline to be Austin vs Bret but I expect effort, especially considering them being the industry standard and the ridiculous amount of airtime they have in a week.

Another problem is that 99% of WWE characters are cardboard cutouts with zero motivation for doing what they are doing. So the promos and character work comes off weak. How are the fans supposed to care about why Ambrose/Rollins/Reigns etc have any idea or hook to why they are doing what they are doing.

Bray Wyatt is the perfect example of that. He's supposed to be this super scary neo Undertaker style character, but since he does not have any motivation for doing what he's doing he's basically a bumbling Scooby Doo villain.

Rosie

Dark Side
Reaction score
Favorite Wrestler
9yQJpez
Favorite Wrestler
edge
Favorite Wrestler
dJvrW4y
Favorite Wrestler
kevinsteen
Favorite Wrestler
Se3BZPQ
Favorite Wrestler
q9gbHdQ
Favorite Sports Team
2DciFqq
Favorite Sports Team
OQcgyMS
Favorite Sports Team
coloradoavalanche
Favorite Sports Team
vCLYUUD
Bray Wyatt is the perfect example of that. He's supposed to be this super scary neo Undertaker style character, but since he does not have any motivation for doing what he's doing he's basically a bumbling Scooby Doo villain.

And he would've got away with it too if it wasn't for the meddling Cenation and that Big Dog! :reigns4::reigns2: