WWE Cable Channel?! And some other stuff

• Welcome to "The New" Wrestling Smarks Forum!

I see that you are not currently registered on our forum. It only takes a second, and you can even login with your Facebook! If you would like to register now, pease click here: Register

Once registered please introduce yourself in our introduction thread which can be found here: Introduction Board

TK.GFX

Reaction score
On the heels of last night's SummerSlam pay-per-view, The Los Angeles Times has an article on World Wrestling Entertainment today. There is a lot of focus on WWE's "family friendly" image, but there are some other interesting notes as well.

Vince McMahon said he hopes to launch a cable network "within two years." He feels confident they will be successful because WWE has "a lot of clout" in the entertainment industry, noting their vast video library will help create content for a cable channel.

McMahon also added he's not a big fan of agents. He gave the following quote: "I'm not a real fan of agents," acknowledged McMahon. "As long as you are fair with everyone, why would you have an agent?" he wondered, adding that his top guys pull in "several million dollars a year."

Another point brought up during the article is that of the female performers' wardrobe as they're much more conservative than they were in the past. Maria was quoted as saying "The guys miss it, but that's how it goes," and claimed that "some of the girls get reprimanded for "showing too much cleavage," something that would've never happened a few years ago".

Elsewhere, it's noted that John Cena pushed for WWE to become PG as he felt the product had become "stale."

"You can't please everybody," Cena said. "Our business was down and the product was becoming old and stale."

WWE has since attracted more advertisers in hopes of appealing to a wider demographic. Triple H said the violence is now like "Wile E. Coyote," with Cena adding "It's less of 'The Jerry Springer Show' now.

Source - LOP.com

Great One

I fail to see how it was stale and how this helped it... lol. Also, the channel would be AWESOME, and would be ridiculously popular. Just think of all those people who would just watch it to reminiscence of the Attitude Era... without having to use youtube videos.

noumenon

Yeah good call Cena...because the product certainly isn't stale or floundering at all right now....
Ever think people like some blood, sex and violence with their WRESTLING...but I digress..

Yeah I'de have to agree that the channel would probably be pretty fuckin successfull..re-running classic feuds and matches. Maybe even entire old episodes of raw. FUCK, they could even completely re-air WCW if they chose to do so...like a fuckin sitcom..lol.

MaZZacare

Reaction score
wasnt wwe 24/7 supposed to be there cable channel or did they do that as more of VOD setup?

J

I'd love a WWE cable channel. Ever get bored? Just flip that shit on. Hm....

Get bored and just flip it on? Haha my TV would never leave that channel lolz.

wasnt wwe 24/7 supposed to be there cable channel or did they do that as more of VOD setup?

Yea it was Video on Demand and it was horrible, there would only be a few hours of shit worth watchin definitely not worth what they charge.

TK.GFX

Reaction score
Yea it was Video on Demand and it was horrible, there would only be a few hours of shit worth watchin definitely not worth what they charge.

Yeah, I never found the 24/7 deal to be worth it. Especially with all the wrestling content that's out there on the web anyways. But a cable channel? Hell yeah.

Klide

Cable channel would make me fail in school lol. probly watch it non-stop lol

NinoBrown

Reaction score
Vince is rich enough to afford it plus they wouldn't have to ship the show around to different stations when their contracts end with USA and SyFy.

noumenon

I don't think he'd ever pull RAW or Smackdown off major networks. They get paid from the network itself as well...so why lose that money and put it on your own channel.

TK.GFX

Reaction score
I don't think he'd ever pull RAW or Smackdown off major networks. They get paid from the network itself as well...so why lose that money and put it on your own channel.

Because it would give Vince full control. WWE would never be pushed back because of some dogs, tennis, or football again.

Quintastic One

Reaction score
It's a win-lose. It's a win because WWE has full control of their content. It's a lose because its at the cost of money. Because you'd only get normal sponsorship money, instead of sponsorships + network payments. If you run your own network, you better have a shitload of money to keep it going.

This Guy

Dave Meltzer had an intresting thought on this though. Although yeah Vince would have this as a back up for if no network would take them, but that still doesn't give them a viewing audience. Stations are getting dropped from Cable Providers all the time. If a Cable company needs to cut a network which do you think is going to be cut first, the WWE channel or the golf network?